The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic Pro X 10.5 is OUT!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Asher View Post
Well Grammy Award winning engineer Alan Branch uses it as well as Chuck Zwicky and Don Gunn, so it isn't just composers for sequencing.
Hey Jay.

I use it too since 1993 and love it. I know Alan and Don. I’m not complaining. I’m all for the now and better.

If you search the web for my handles sambosun and samphony you’ll see that I’m contributing since years to make Logic better with ever update. ;-)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
Typical Logic, typical Apple....They would rather Gaslight users who bring up real issues, and slop on new toys, then tell the truth and get what they have working properly.

I had to bail on Logic entirely during the era where using external MIDI instruments made all hell break loose, they denied it, denied it, denied it....

Finally, I said F^&K Y^O You know damn well what's going on, or should I email you links to 100's of pages of your own forum you forgot to erase?

I realized that the fact is this, you cannot rely on logic or apple. They are the progenitors of the new corporate mantra "The customer IS NOT always right, a good brand tells it's customers what they need to buy and when they need to buy."

It's not hard to see how a company that operates on that core principle might not have the best interests of its customers at heart.

Look at it from their point of view: In their eyes, they already have your $199, and you've already had plenty of play for that price.....so shut up! This new update isn't about YOU! It's about copying an element of Abelton that has a very devoted following, this update is about Apple announcing "Abelton, we are coming to eat you alive" And hooking in all the "DJ-Prodoocerz" Who always thought Logic would be "Too hard" and they might need to "know something" about music to use it. NOT SO! Come one come all! Apple has all your needs covered! (Unless we already have your money, in which case, spend more or kindly F%$k O%F!.

If you don't think that is EXACTLY how they see this, then I have a worldwide pandemic on a bridge over Florida Swampland to sell you.

Either way, raging at Logic will get you NOTHING, it will waste your time and make the pig angry.

Go find tools that work, built by people whose business is aimed at professionals
alex jones is that you? 1776? gay frogs? globalists?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brown View Post
I actually thought it was gonna be just a bunch of loops that you can fire in sporadically until you find one u like, but u can actually use these to trigger other things, i'm triggering Kontakt with them right now, still early doors, don't really know what i'm doing yet lol
you can record directly to one of these loops .. interesting .. you could build up a groove pretty quick like this .. now trying to see what we can do with these loops after you make one ... move it, edit it, etc ... cool feature ..

and you can record AUDIO as well as Midi / instruments directly into loops ... just cut a Bass Loop and a loop using my Roland Octapad, very fast work flow !!!

pretty damn cool ... even if you just wish to have One Loop in a Track it is useful !!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
All my EXS belong to 10.5 - no problems - they play. Nothing fancy.
Some weirdness with locked screensets basically making the project appear to be "not open". I have like 4 out of 400...I will live.
Very snappy WRT screen performance.
Some very nice commands to bypass all plug-ins etc.

For the price I paid? Stunning update.

Now I don't have to buy weird "Live" controllers ;-)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I used logic for nearly 15 years until I built a PC and had to choose something else. I chose Ableton over Cubase for a variety of reasons. But I still do think fondly of Logic and often wonder if I'd be better off going back to it (and Mac obv).

However, Ableton's Session View (the Live loops) is an incredible creative tool.

Is there anyone here, who has the 10.5 update, who also has experience with Ableton's session view? How does it compare? Is it essentially a separate environment from the arrangement in Logic as it is in Ableton? Is it intuitive? Is it easy to just get to that flow of the Ableton session view workflow?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

gonna wait on this one but looking forward to it.

any thoughts on cpu use for the new instruments? when they added the step and phat efx, those really hit my system like a 3rd party plug in, in most cases heavier.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Can I trigger playback of individual cells via MIDI? Or am I restricted to only using an iOS device to start and stop playback of cells on an individual basis?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundofmai View Post
After reading about the compatibility issues I think I’ll skip this upgrade. Logic is doing a fine job for my needs at the moment, if it’s not broke don’t fix it.
If the past is any indication of the future(often is in these cases), 10.5.1 should be out in a month and the most irritating bugs/compatibility issues that came up after this release and that us beta testers discovered will be ironed out. Just have to be patient... Can’t wait to try it in a month.

KA
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Nice to see the loops and step sequencer come over from the iOS version of GarageBand. I look forward to using it more when it actually works properly. Just played with it for a bit…it's a good start, but there are a bunch of problems that suggest this update was rushed and not thoroughly tested.
  • Everything seemed to be going fine until I created patterns for two different instruments (my TR-08 and SH-01A) and had them running at the same time. The timing is all over the place and doesn't line up with the metronome. If I drag those patterns over to the regular timeline and play them there, they're perfectly in time. In the grid, the exact same patterns sound like they're being played by someone who has had way too much to drink. Maybe this only affects outgoing MIDI and it works fine with software instruments? Whatever the case, the pattern grid is fundamentally broken and unusable for me until they make it work properly.
  • Every time you save a step sequencer template it creates a new one. You can't save your changes to an existing one; you have to manually delete the old one and rename the new one to the old name.
  • Step sequencer templates are assigned to patterns. I don't see a way to create a default one for the current track. The "make default" command appears to be the default for all new patterns on all tracks. This is a huge oversight. I obviously need a different template for my TR-08 and TR-09 because they have different sounds. Why do I have to re-select the same template every time I create a new pattern?
  • When you go to delete a step sequencer template, the command says "Delete Pattern".
  • When dragging a pattern from the grid to the timeline, it appears in the wrong track in the timeline. After you release it, it lands in the right place, so it's just a display bug.
  • Can't name step sequencer lanes. You can assign icons, but names would be a lot easier, and icons alone are not enough to distinguish things like low/mid/hi tom or conga because they only have one icon for those.
  • Each lane can have a different length, which is cool — or it would be, if it didn't reset its position every time the pattern loops. I set a lane to 7 steps and it sounded cool until I noticed it starts over every time the pattern restarts. You might think you can just create a separate pattern that's 7 steps long, but nope — patterns can only be 12, 16, 24, 32, 36, 48, or 64 steps. So basically you can forget about using the pattern grid to do anything interesting with polyrhythms. Odd length patterns are where it's at.

A few other notes:
  • You can view both the pattern grid and regular timeline side-by-side, and the divider between the two has a left/right arrow to choose whether that track uses the pattern grid or timeline. This is an interesting UI design that has the potential to give a better overview of what's happening than Ableton Live (where you have to switch between session and arrangement views — or at least look at two different windows, if you have them both open).
  • There seems to be no way to convert a MIDI cell to a pattern cell. If you record yourself playing MIDI, you get a MIDI cell, and cannot view or edit it with the step sequencer. MIDI and pattern cells and regions are totally separate things, which IMO just adds another barrier to the creative process (you have to stop and think about which kind of pattern you want to make because you can't switch later). In Maschine you can record a pattern by playing the pads or a keyboard and later edit it in the step sequencer view, or vice versa. The whole point of a pattern grid is to quickly capture ideas on the fly, and to me this shows Apple is just copying features from Ableton Live without understanding how people actually use them.
  • One thing that's confusing about between MIDI and pattern cells/regions is the edit pane shows "Step Sequencer" as a tab, as if you could switch to the other views (Piano Roll, Score, Smart Tempo), but the other ones are all grayed out. On a regular MIDI region, the opposite is true — there's a Step Sequencer tab but you can't select it. I assume this is just another half baked feature that wasn't given enough time to be designed and implemented properly.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder View Post
I used logic for nearly 15 years until I built a PC and had to choose something else. I chose Ableton over Cubase for a variety of reasons. But I still do think fondly of Logic and often wonder if I'd be better off going back to it (and Mac obv).

However, Ableton's Session View (the Live loops) is an incredible creative tool.

Is there anyone here, who has the 10.5 update, who also has experience with Ableton's session view? How does it compare? Is it essentially a separate environment from the arrangement in Logic as it is in Ableton? Is it intuitive? Is it easy to just get to that flow of the Ableton session view workflow?
I've used Ableton Live for many years, and moved over to it as my primary DAW about a year ago (after using Logic for almost everything for about 20 years).

What they've done so far is a good start. I liked what I saw in the early version in iOS GarageBand and have wondered for a long time why they hadn't brought it over to Logic. They expanded it into a pro version in most of the ways you'd expect for Logic (though it's still missing a few things, and doesn't quite work properly yet).

See my previous post for detailed notes about it, but in summary:
  • It doesn't work properly yet and needs some major bug fixes before I can actually start using it.
  • I think some of the concepts/implementations are fundamentally flawed and lack the flexibility and fluidity of Ableton Live.

Even if they don't manage to match Ableton Live, this is still a big step forward for Logic that has the potential to get me interested in using it for jamming/composition again. Logic still has lots of advantages over Ableton Live (more powerful editing tools, plugin delay compensation that actually works, better stability), but the lack of session view just makes it less fun to start something new. I don't really want to go back to using a timeline as a scratchpad now that I've used something that's actually designed for playing with ideas.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Anyone got Limiter 6 GE (v1.2.1) ?

Since installing 10.5 there is a graphics issue.
When the Limiter 6 GUI is opened with a project playing the graphics/meters on Limiter 6 are very sluggish and so are ALL the track, send and master level meters in Logic.
Didn't happen in 10.4.8 (I use Limiter 6 GE all the time in mastering sessions).

I've emailed Fabien at TDR, just wondering if any other users notice it.

UPDATE: Slick EQ GE behaves the same

Last edited by Beatworld; 3 weeks ago at 06:53 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorgAddict View Post
If the past is any indication of the future(often is in these cases), 10.5.1 should be out in a month and the most irritating bugs/compatibility issues that came up after this release and that us beta testers discovered will be ironed out. Just have to be patient... Can’t wait to try it in a month.

KA
Sounds good, but I’m a bit fed up with constantly updating software and never having enough time to learn all of the features inside out. There’s probably even features since Logic 9 that I still haven’t explored yet. I’m going to forget about upgrades and buying new software and treat my computer like a workstation...just learn more about everything I have already.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundofmai View Post
Sounds good, but I’m a bit fed up with constantly updating software and never having enough time to learn all of the features inside out. There’s probably even features since Logic 9 that I still haven’t explored yet. I’m going to forget about upgrades and buying new software and treat my computer like a workstation...just learn more about everything I have already.
i'm the same way. i want to update, but i know there will be bugs and i'm finally catching up with LPX and my workflow

The sampler and the exs updates are the most interesting for me looking/acting like ableton the least. never really gelled with Ableton, if i did, i'd be using Ableton not LPX.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I mix in logic every day. I'm considered a Pro. PDC automation does not stop a person form mixing a record. If this stops you, then it's the wrong DAW for you.
But, remember, Great records were made with these great editing features we have today.

Just sounds bitching for good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz View Post
Please do add to famous names for marketing value for Logic Pro.
Do apples marketing for them because they sure can’t afford it.

How many of those people MIX in Logic Pro though?
Seems awfully misleading to mention famous people making “beats” in Logic. Or even scores for that matter.
But have you seen any of top names that prefer logic to mix entire projects in?

Most of us jumped on to Logic years ago because it was supposed to be a great mixer and sequencer.
Instead it’s been more and more toys than reliability and when you’re mixing you need really need reliability.

If you don’t fully mix projects in Logic Pro, or if your only building projects with loops and simple routing. It’s not too bad.
But once you get to some real playing, and mixing, and routing and real track counts,
the bugs drive you absolutely insane.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdpro View Post
I mix in logic every day. I'm considered a Pro. PDC automation does not stop a person form mixing a record. If this stops you, then it's the wrong DAW for you.
But, remember, Great records were made with these great editing features we have today.

Just sounds bitching for good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz View Post
Please do add to famous names for marketing value for Logic Pro.
Do apples marketing for them because they sure can’t afford it.

How many of those people MIX in Logic Pro though?
Seems awfully misleading to mention famous people making “beats” in Logic. Or even scores for that matter.
But have you seen any of top names that prefer logic to mix entire projects in?

Most of us jumped on to Logic years ago because it was supposed to be a great mixer and sequencer.
Instead it’s been more and more toys than reliability and when you’re mixing you need really need reliability.

If you don’t fully mix projects in Logic Pro, or if your only building projects with loops and simple routing. It’s not too bad.
But once you get to some real playing, and mixing, and routing and real track counts,
the bugs drive you absolutely insane.
Only Pro Tools stands the test of time IMO. Ableton is great for sketching and ideas. real work is done in Pro Tools. I hate Pro Tools. but it's the best for making professional recordings. IMO.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

Logic still has lots of advantages over Ableton Live (more powerful editing tools, plugin delay compensation that actually works, better stability), but the lack of session view just makes it less fun to start something new. I don't really want to go back to using a timeline as a scratchpad now that I've used something that's actually designed for playing with ideas.
Extremely un-true, ableton PDC is way better than Logic Pro X, there's a whole thread about it actually, Logic Pro X is the worst of all DAWs in that regard.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeel View Post
Only Pro Tools stands the test of time IMO. Ableton is great for sketching and ideas. real work is done in Pro Tools. I hate Pro Tools. but it's the best for making professional recordings. IMO.
Real work is done by the person in front of the computer, not the software

I've used PT since it came out, literally. Finally have switched over to Cubase Pro and feel like I'm in a wonderland in comparison.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’m really surprised to see all this negativity toward LPX here in this thread. I’ve always thought it was a solid DAW.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
I’m really surprised to see all this negativity toward LPX here in this thread. I’ve always thought it was a solid DAW.
I have experience with 3 DAWs and always wish each did some things like the others. They're all great with their specific strengths & weaknesses. Depending on needs, I can see folks unhappy with any DAW.

I remember folks hating the MIDI feature set in Pro Tools back when I used it. I couldn't understand why until I switched to Logic. But I also realized why folks loved PT for audio.

But I hate Logic for how unfriendly it is to external sequencers, and love Studio One for its flexibility. But man I wish S1 had dynamic plugin loading and was a bit more straight forward. And for some reason, S1 is not stable for me.

I've not yet some across my perfect DAW.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
It is.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffybox View Post
It is.
Completely anecdotal but I use Pro Tools, Logic and Ableton Live ... Logic is by far the buggiest, crashiest, corrupt my saviests DAW of the three. Not that it can't be used to make great music! But it certainly can feel like like both PT and especially Logic have pipelines that are too focused on new features instead of bug fixes.

Last edited by Teej; 3 weeks ago at 07:19 AM.. Reason: spelling.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

First impressions are that I got honey potted into updating my OS. Now "X.component" can not be opened due to an unverified dev error is ruining my night. Allow access in the security pane also doesn't remedy this. Anyone figure out a solution?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffybox View Post
It is.
Do you think e.g. Serban Ghenea is sitting there applying perfect automation curves only to have Logic Pro X screw it up in rendering lol?

For me this is a wake up call & I'm now trying out (or finding out about) all the alternative DAWs for production/composition (just bought Ableton Live). And I'm going to try Pro Tools for mixing (audio only).

I rarely find anyone using (or still using) Logic in the masterclasses - it's Pro Tools, Studio One, Reaper, Ableton & FL Studio a lot in production.

Top producers are using Logic for sure, but the ones I came across were not mixing in it (e.g. passed on to Serban to mix in PT - because he's getting TOP RESULTS).

I guess it depends on the composition/production style/genre what the end result will be like. I want to have full control and know what my DAW is doing to automations.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
For some reason the update is not showing on my System. Catalina 10.15.4 on a 2017 MacBook Pro. Have checked in App Store and System update. Any ideas why that might be?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Honestly, I haven't liked Logic since it got Applefied with v7. I only got X for the groovy plugins. If my automation starts barfing for some reason, I can just render my stems and go mix some place else.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
I've used Ableton Live for many years, and moved over to it as my primary DAW about a year ago (after using Logic for almost everything for about 20 years).

Even if they don't manage to match Ableton Live, this is still a big step forward for Logic that has the potential to get me interested in using it for jamming/composition again. Logic still has lots of advantages over Ableton Live (more powerful editing tools, plugin delay compensation that actually works, better stability), but the lack of session view just makes it less fun to start something new. I don't really want to go back to using a timeline as a scratchpad now that I've used something that's actually designed for playing with ideas.
Similar boat. 30 year Mac user, 11 year Logic. It's been painful, but I'm transitioning from Logic to Ableton/Reaper. Things like Reaper's automation items simply have no counterpart in Logic.

Logic indeed has many upsides compared to Ableton, but PDC isn't one of them. Cubase and Bitwig particularly have rock solid PDC, Ableton too (except for MIDI but I'm not a midi guy).

It's one of the things that's made transitioning so painful -- Logic is all-around a wonderful DAW and incredible for mixing. PDC kills it as a creative canvas.

Auto sampler and RemixFX bring Logic so much closer. The lack of PDC is disheartening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdpro View Post
I don't think the complaint is Logic as a mix environment; it's using Logic as a creative/production environment.

To add these creative tools on one side and ignore PDC on the other is exasperating. Unfortunately, PDC isn't sexy and marketable like Live Loops.

And you're precisely right, it appears that Logic is probably the wrong DAW for many creatives. Automation, parameter lfo/modulation, PDC, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
I've not yet some across my perfect DAW.
Agreed, but bugged PDC has been a thing since, what, 2013? I think issues back in Logic 9 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3XS View Post
Do you think e.g. Serban Ghenea is sitting there applying perfect automation curves only to have Logic Pro X screw it up in rendering lol?

For me this is a wake up call & I'm now trying out (or finding out about) all the alternative DAWs for production/composition (just bought Ableton Live). And I'm going to try Pro Tools for mixing (audio only).

I guess it depends on the composition/production style/genre what the end result will be like. I want to have full control and know what my DAW is doing to automations.
I had the wakeup call awhile back but didn't heed it until a few months ago. Ableton, Bitwig and Reaper have all been a revelation. Wait a minute, I can modulate a parameter? I don't have to draw all of this by hand? And I can modulate the modulators? And when I bounce the file the PDC doesn't kill it all?

Look into Reaper's automation items, simply outstanding. I think Reaper can be equally adept at mixing but the 96dB slope can be a steep hurdle to jump.

I'm a weirdo in that I don't use Ableton's session view... I record mainly live/di instruments then mangle via automation/parameter modulation. For those that need it I'm glad Logic has session/clips now.

What some of us needed was PDC. And I don't think "I'm a pro mixer/Don Gunn is a grammy winner and it never stopped us" serves Logic well in the long run.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeys View Post
For some reason the update is not showing on my System. Catalina 10.15.4 on a 2017 MacBook Pro. Have checked in App Store and System update. Any ideas why that might be?
It's not showing for me either. Previous updates were only available in the UK a day or 2 after the US, no idea why
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

BE WARNED:
Not all 3rd party plugins will work!
Some plugins will crash logic and some will just stay silent. I have just tested few, but others report than many plugins crash their Logic.

For me at least NI Replika instantly crashes logic when inserted.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedannemann View Post
Please write to Apple and make a report: https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html
Done
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeel View Post
Extremely un-true, ableton PDC is way better than Logic Pro X, there's a whole thread about it actually, Logic Pro X is the worst of all DAWs in that regard.
Would like to see that thread and whatever other info you have. I tested both extensively a few months ago and found Logic is able to cope with plugin-induced latency in a way that Ableton Live simply can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
Logic indeed has many upsides compared to Ableton, but PDC isn't one of them. Cubase and Bitwig particularly have rock solid PDC, Ableton too (except for MIDI but I'm not a midi guy).

It's one of the things that's made transitioning so painful -- Logic is all-around a wonderful DAW and incredible for mixing. PDC kills it as a creative canvas.
Not the case for me. Logic's delay compensation was clearly more robust last time I tested both.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search