The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic Pro X 10.5 is OUT!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #31
Lives for gear
 
BezowinZ's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedannemann View Post
I really hate to be that whining guy but all Logic users please really do take the time and make a report to Apple about the missing PDC for side-chains and automation.

I know this form is a bit cumbersome and it's easy to think that some other guy is already reporting this issue. No, please go over and tell Apple that literally any UAD user for example can't use Logic Pro X 10.5 to it's full extent: https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Want to know why your mix doesn't soundtight when using automation and side-chains? See Serious old bug (Broken PDC) completely ignored by the Apple Logic X programmers!
Done. I've actually had a spree of suggestions the last few days.

It's a shame things like this are superseded by brand new features. And it's frustrating when serious issues like this are not a priority to a significant number of users.

Maybe we'll get some point updates that address these "smaller" issues.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #32
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgee View Post
thanks for checking - it's very intermittent but guarantee you will happen under certain conditions - unfortunately don't know what the pattern is.

yep, been using logic for, damn, 18 years? wow...the catch settings are all off, i'd hack the app to remove catch completely from the app if I could

I've tried everything, new install, different computers, new prefs..etc..
many are getting this issue but it's intermittent
Wow really annoying I tried different options turning 1 or two Catch options off, only thing I did notice I couldn't turn catch on at once point.. I'll keep an eye on it from now and report back if I can reproduce it.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #33
Gear Nut
 

I really like this update. Some great new features. I must admit though I'm not quite sure how the live loops benefits me over the normal project view in a studio situation. It is early days though. It might make sense once I get into it.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #34
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezoneight View Post
Holy crap. they finally updated EXS24
AT LAST!!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Strobian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambosun View Post
John and Sean are not mixing their mock-ups and pre production in Logic afaik. John uses it as Sequencer mainly and bidule hosts all sample libraries in bidule going straight into pro tools hdx.

;-)
Well throw Oak Felder in there then. He seems to have no problems producing platinum records on it.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #36
Lives for gear
 
Strobian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedannemann View Post
God ****ing damn it!!! Still no plug-in delay compensation for automation. This can't be real!!!



Please write to Apple and make a report: https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html
Information about this hilarious problem: Serious old bug (Broken PDC) completely ignored by the Apple Logic X programmers!
I've been using Logic for years, never really noticed this. I've always felt like the groove of it was slightly wrong for some things, like getting swing out of it at times for drums and things. Your saying that any automation does this for you, or just turning other plugins on that were off at a different section of the audio or? I went back and read some of the other post but it got quite long.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #37
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedannemann View Post
God ****ing damn it!!! Still no plug-in delay compensation for automation. This can't be real!!!



Please write to Apple and make a report: https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html
Information about this hilarious problem: Serious old bug (Broken PDC) completely ignored by the Apple Logic X programmers!
so disappointing!!!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #38
Gear Addict
 

does anyone know if you can still load in rex files and extract midi?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #39
Lives for gear
 

A bunch of new toys but still lacking the reliability of a good tool.
It’d be awfully nice if grown ups could distinguish between the two.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #40
Lives for gear
 
syntonica's Avatar
Looks like the LogicBorg have assimilated Live. Sampler, simpler, clip launching. Pity they didn't reskin Ultrabeat. Still has a GUI only a mother could love..l
Old 3 weeks ago
  #41
Lives for gear
 

... and here was me thinking "painting by numbers" music was a passing fad.

I can't blame Logic for catering to the masses.

Though I'm mainly on another DAW these days, I do still enjoying writing in Logic from time to time, it's always felt intuitive to use.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #42
Lives for gear
 

Please do add to famous names for marketing value for Logic Pro.
Do apples marketing for them because they sure can’t afford it.

How many of those people MIX in Logic Pro though?
Seems awfully misleading to mention famous people making “beats” in Logic. Or even scores for that matter.
But have you seen any of top names that prefer logic to mix entire projects in?

Most of us jumped on to Logic years ago because it was supposed to be a great mixer and sequencer.
Instead it’s been more and more toys than reliability and when you’re mixing you need really need reliability.

If you don’t fully mix projects in Logic Pro, or if your only building projects with loops and simple routing. It’s not too bad.
But once you get to some real playing, and mixing, and routing and real track counts,
the bugs drive you absolutely insane.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #43
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz View Post
A bunch of new toys but still lacking the reliability of a good tool.
It’d be awfully nice if grown ups could distinguish between the two.
Doesn't do what you want it to so everyone else is wrong for liking it huh?
What a grown up post!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #44
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz View Post
Please do add to famous names for marketing value for Logic Pro.
Do apples marketing for them because they sure can’t afford it.

How many of those people MIX in Logic Pro though?
Seems awfully misleading to mention famous people making “beats” in Logic. Or even scores for that matter.
But have you seen any of top names that prefer logic to mix entire projects in?

Most of us jumped on to Logic years ago because it was supposed to be a great mixer and sequencer.
Instead it’s been more and more toys than reliability and when you’re mixing you need really need reliability.

If you don’t fully mix projects in Logic Pro, or if your only building projects with loops and simple routing. It’s not too bad.
But once you get to some real playing, and mixing, and routing and real track counts,
the bugs drive you absolutely insane.
I don't know about really really famous mixers but I know a number of people who make a good living (including myself) mixing and mastering in Logic Pro. As someone who has also used Cubase extensively, my honest opinion is that they are both good DAWs with some pros and cons to both.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #45
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Man View Post
Doesn't do what you want it to so everyone else is wrong for liking it huh?
What a grown up post!
Do what it’s supposed to do.
Be reliable?

Grown ups expecting reliability from tools is, NOT GROWN UP.
What kind of alternate reality are we living in these days.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #46
Gear Maniac
 
tedannemann's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobian View Post
I've been using Logic for years, never really noticed this. I've always felt like the groove of it was slightly wrong for some things, like getting swing out of it at times for drums and things. Your saying that any automation does this for you, or just turning other plugins on that were off at a different section of the audio or? I went back and read some of the other post but it got quite long.
(Plug-in)Automation is not compensated as soon as plug-ins with high latency are used.

Here is an exaggerated(!) example:

Imagine that you draw an automation point at bar 33 (e.g. start of the chorus), because an effect on the voice is supposed to happen there, a bass note is supposed to be attenuated, a build up of some fx was needed or whatever.

Then you use a plug-in which introduces latency on the same track (e.g. Linear EQ, Adaptive Limiter or any UAD plug-in). And by the way it doesn't matter if this additional plug-in is inserted before or after your automated plug-in.

The result is your automation point no longer reads / sounds at bar 33 but suddenly at bar 34.

But you still see it at bar 33 (that's where your point sits in Logic), but when you bounce your project, it sounds at bar 34 (it gets not compensated for the latency introduced on this track).

It's also not possible to automate plug-ins itself exactly in time(!) which introduce latency.
Automating the super fine UAD Moog Multimode Filter XL in time(!) is not possible in Logic Pro X 10.5 for example. Your simple Cutoff automation will always be wrong unless you start calculating in samples and ms and start shifting your automation into the opposite direction (doing the compensation yourself).

In plenty of YouTube videos I see experienced producers who do vocal automations, slap a stack of heavy plug-ins on it and don't even notice that during export all the syllables and words have not been processed (automated) in the right places because the visual (automation points) do not match the bounce (anymore) as soon as latency is introduced.

Some users compensate subconsciously and automate by ear, but even this is a fallacy, as what is heard is not always exactly identical to the bounce (buffer sizes) and as soon as further latency is added during the course of a project (mixdown) your automation timing goes out the window.

Of course I exaggerate (talking about ms), but especially as a UAD user it is not unusual to generate up to 100 ms or more of latency on one track. Automation in time is then hardly or no longer possible.

And it has to be said that Pro Tools, Cubase, Live, Studio One or even Bitwig can compensate latency generated by plug-ins regarding automation.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #47
Lives for gear
 
mikeka's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
Hyped for this update. Any compatibility issues?
Relab verbs - instant crash LPX 10.5, Catalina 10.15.4
Old 3 weeks ago
  #48
Gear Addict
 

Also, Replika XT. But apparently NI are aware of the issues with some of their plugins and are working on it.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #49
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz View Post
A bunch of new toys but still lacking the reliability of a good tool.
It’d be awfully nice if grown ups could distinguish between the two.
Typical Logic, typical Apple....They would rather Gaslight users who bring up real issues, and slop on new toys, then tell the truth and get what they have working properly.

I had to bail on Logic entirely during the era where using external MIDI instruments made all hell break loose, they denied it, denied it, denied it....

Finally, I said F^&K Y^O You know damn well what's going on, or should I email you links to 100's of pages of your own forum you forgot to erase?

I realized that the fact is this, you cannot rely on logic or apple. They are the progenitors of the new corporate mantra "The customer IS NOT always right, a good brand tells it's customers what they need to buy and when they need to buy."

It's not hard to see how a company that operates on that core principle might not have the best interests of its customers at heart.

Look at it from their point of view: In their eyes, they already have your $199, and you've already had plenty of play for that price.....so shut up! This new update isn't about YOU! It's about copying an element of Abelton that has a very devoted following, this update is about Apple announcing "Abelton, we are coming to eat you alive" And hooking in all the "DJ-Prodoocerz" Who always thought Logic would be "Too hard" and they might need to "know something" about music to use it. NOT SO! Come one come all! Apple has all your needs covered! (Unless we already have your money, in which case, spend more or kindly F%$k O%F!.

If you don't think that is EXACTLY how they see this, then I have a worldwide pandemic on a bridge over Florida Swampland to sell you.

Either way, raging at Logic will get you NOTHING, it will waste your time and make the pig angry.

Go find tools that work, built by people whose business is aimed at professionals
Old 3 weeks ago
  #50
Lives for gear
 

Only been playing with this a few hours - the new step sequencer and simple sampler are so good i've suddenly wondered how I have survived all these years without them

I actually nearly bought Ableton Live this morning because I wanted a new style workflow - and bam here it is in Logic!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #51
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz View Post
A bunch of new toys but still lacking the reliability of a good tool.
It’d be awfully nice if grown ups could distinguish between the two.
You know what else would be nice? People not coming in and making d-bag posts like this one. Lots of people getting work done with Logic.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #52
Lives for gear
 
BezowinZ's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by onerob View Post
Also, Replika XT. But apparently NI are aware of the issues with some of their plugins and are working on it.
They also acknowledge Massive X is not compatible.

I typically hold off on updates but Logic is only my backup DAW at the moment, so I went ahead since I likely won't be using it.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #53
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
Typical Logic, typical Apple....They would rather Gaslight users who bring up real issues, and slop on new toys, then tell the truth and get what they have working properly.

I had to bail on Logic entirely during the era where using external MIDI instruments made all hell break loose, they denied it, denied it, denied it....

Finally, I said F^&K Y^O You know damn well what's going on, or should I email you links to 100's of pages of your own forum you forgot to erase?

I realized that the fact is this, you cannot rely on logic or apple. They are the progenitors of the new corporate mantra "The customer IS NOT always right, a good brand tells it's customers what they need to buy and when they need to buy."

It's not hard to see how a company that operates on that core principle might not have the best interests of its customers at heart.

Look at it from their point of view: In their eyes, they already have your $199, and you've already had plenty of play for that price.....so shut up! This new update isn't about YOU! It's about copying an element of Abelton that has a very devoted following, this update is about Apple announcing "Abelton, we are coming to eat you alive" And hooking in all the "DJ-Prodoocerz" Who always thought Logic would be "Too hard" and they might need to "know something" about music to use it. NOT SO! Come one come all! Apple has all your needs covered! (Unless we already have your money, in which case, spend more or kindly F%$k O%F!.

If you don't think that is EXACTLY how they see this, then I have a worldwide pandemic on a bridge over Florida Swampland to sell you.

Either way, raging at Logic will get you NOTHING, it will waste your time and make the pig angry.

Go find tools that work, built by people whose business is aimed at professionals

Apple is using logic as one of many entertainment items, to entice users into its ecosystem.
That’s mainly what it is.
It’s a cool looking toy to get people to buy the new Macs and MacBook Pros.
Which I get to a degree.
But...
They continually add the cool colors and loops and upgrades that some of which honestly should’ve been done a while ago, and then reliability and stability seems to be an afthought.
I got Logic over a decade ago because I wanted an all in one sequencer and mixer.
Once I started getting into lots of layering and routing and big track counts, it just didn’t hold up.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #54
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAnthony View Post
I really like this update. Some great new features. I must admit though I'm not quite sure how the live loops benefits me over the normal project view in a studio situation. It is early days though. It might make sense once I get into it.
I actually thought it was gonna be just a bunch of loops that you can fire in sporadically until you find one u like, but u can actually use these to trigger other things, i'm triggering Kontakt with them right now, still early doors, don't really know what i'm doing yet lol
Old 3 weeks ago
  #55
Gear Addict
 
Jay Asher's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambosun View Post
John and Sean are not mixing their mock-ups and pre production in Logic afaik. John uses it as Sequencer mainly and bidule hosts all sample libraries in bidule going straight into pro tools hdx.

;-)
Well Grammy Award winning engineer Alan Branch uses it as well as Chuck Zwicky and Don Gunn, so it isn't just composers for sequencing.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #56
Gear Addict
Well now I guess I need to consider upgrading from my 2011 Mac Mini that stopped being able to update OS with High Sierra.

(Yeah, I know I'm cheap...)

What Mac to buy...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #57
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
Typical Logic, typical Apple....They would rather Gaslight users who bring up real issues, and slop on new toys, then tell the truth and get what they have working properly.

I had to bail on Logic entirely during the era where using external MIDI instruments made all hell break loose, they denied it, denied it, denied it....

Finally, I said F^&K Y^O You know damn well what's going on, or should I email you links to 100's of pages of your own forum you forgot to erase?

I realized that the fact is this, you cannot rely on logic or apple. They are the progenitors of the new corporate mantra "The customer IS NOT always right, a good brand tells it's customers what they need to buy and when they need to buy."

It's not hard to see how a company that operates on that core principle might not have the best interests of its customers at heart.

Look at it from their point of view: In their eyes, they already have your $199, and you've already had plenty of play for that price.....so shut up! This new update isn't about YOU! It's about copying an element of Abelton that has a very devoted following, this update is about Apple announcing "Abelton, we are coming to eat you alive" And hooking in all the "DJ-Prodoocerz" Who always thought Logic would be "Too hard" and they might need to "know something" about music to use it. NOT SO! Come one come all! Apple has all your needs covered! (Unless we already have your money, in which case, spend more or kindly F%$k O%F!.

If you don't think that is EXACTLY how they see this, then I have a worldwide pandemic on a bridge over Florida Swampland to sell you.

Either way, raging at Logic will get you NOTHING, it will waste your time and make the pig angry.

Go find tools that work, built by people whose business is aimed at professionals
Phew!!! ..... Had to go pour myself a stiff drink after that!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #58
Gear Nut
 

Don't listen to anyone complaining about this update... I have been a pro LP user for 17+ years and this update is simply amazing.

The new ableton style workflow is unreal, super inspiring, and if you don't like it, you don't have to use it so, no need to complain.

The step sequencer alone, with access to EVERY parameter, is game changing.

And the sampler's are such a welcome and long waited upgrade.

Not to mention, old sessions are running great, and the whole thing feels snappier than ever.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #59
Gear Maniac
 

After reading about the compatibility issues I think I’ll skip this upgrade. Logic is doing a fine job for my needs at the moment, if it’s not broke don’t fix it.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #60
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz View Post
Apple is using logic as one of many entertainment items, to entice users into its ecosystem.
That’s mainly what it is.
It’s a cool looking toy to get people to buy the new Macs and MacBook Pros.
Which I get to a degree.
But...
They continually add the cool colors and loops and upgrades that some of which honestly should’ve been done a while ago, and then reliability and stability seems to be an afthought.
I got Logic over a decade ago because I wanted an all in one sequencer and mixer.
Once I started getting into lots of layering and routing and big track counts, it just didn’t hold up.
What DAW holds up better on a Mac? In my experience one of the advantages of Logic is that it is optimized for the Mac and has better performance. My only other point of comparison is Cubase which I have not found to be way better, rather more or less comparable as far as performance and stability.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump