The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic Pro X 10.5 is OUT!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz View Post
Thanks. And thanks for the Finder hint - checking there with 'Get Info' says it's a mono file. Bizarre. Now I'll have to see what other audio editors I have on my hard drive since Logic and RX are about all I use, and both of'em see it as 'stereo'. But I'll try the renaming thing and see how that works.
You could quickly just download Audacity (it's free and a nice helper in some situations, regardless of the professional editors around). It opens the split files in mono just fine over here (without renaming).
In case that still doesn't work, there might be something wrong with 10.5 under Catalina.

Quote:
I don't hate the idea of LPX adding some of Garageband's looping features... but those are pretty far down on my wishlist. Just once I'd like to see some Logic Pro features aimed at keeping the high-end recording-engineer types, or luring folks away from ProTools. Instead it seems like a constant barrage of EASY TO USE brightly coloured gizmos designed to get the GarageBand crowd to upgrade. That's not a bad thing.. but multiple SMPTE/Tempo lists and a dedicated headphone/control-room mixer would be pretty great too.
I do at least sort of agree. At least I'd trade each and every new gizmo for having the the zoom functionality back the way it was in LP9 (and earlier). Still driving me mad at least once or twice a day.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
What do you guys think of the stock plugins? I'm talking about "audio fx" plugins like the Channel EQ and Compressors.

My go to EQ has been DMG equilibrium for a while now, before that it was fabfilter Pro Q2 but I felt like Equilibrium didn't mess with the phase as much on multi-mic instruments such as drums. I also use the more CPU intensive linear settings of Equilibrium on the master or in mastering, that sounds pretty great.

Just for fun I decided I'd give the stock logic EQ a shot since it seems pretty convenient and easy to use even though it's not as feature rich as DMG or Fabfilter.
I did a 30 min mix of a rock song, drums, bass and guitars, and on individual channels the result is pretty good!

Logic Channel EQ (applied on individual channels) seems to give me a mix that sounds bigger and wider than Equilibrium, Equilibrium's mix is tighter sounding, I think it might be because it's more transparent but I liked what the Channel EQ did to the musicality.
On the 2-Bus I preferred DMG as it seems more 3D and punchy if you will, like I can see deeper in the picture.

The compressors seem pretty cool as well, didn't test as much cause it's harder to match those but they sound pretty big! My recently favorite all around comp is again DMG trackcomp 2, I can tell this one is smoother in the top end if I compare the SSL type to logic's SSL type comp but the Logic version seems a bit wider with more top end, nice option.

So yeah, how do you like them?
IMO a lot of stock logic stuff is pretty good. I don’t use it often because I’ve spent way too much on third party stuff and I’m sort of spoiled but they sneak in there now and then.

Logic compressor is great. Models a number of classic compressor types and does it well IMO.

Chromaverb is great, phat fx is great, I like the vintage eqs, the channel eq is solid, the stock bitcrusher is actually my fav bitcrusher, and tape delay is pretty good too.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Well glad to hear I'm not crazy to like those stock plugins!

I'm running into an issue if anybody has a clue how to fix it that'd be great.

I'm trying to Freeze some audio tracks that have plugins on them, I hit the freeze button, then hit spacebar, logic looks like it's calculating but then the plugins on the track are still all active and editable, so basically the freeze function doesn't work. It worked fine when I used the demo, not sure what happened...

EDIT: Nevermind, I RTFM and found out about freeze source only and pre-fader option. It's working now.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Like to see a drag and drop samples function on Stepsequencer(like FL ).
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

As far as Logics stock plugins go, the things I use (and like) every day:

- Electric Piano. Still extremely useful and IMO decent sounding. Has gotten some updates under the hood over the years, too.

- Vintage Organ. Pretty tough to find much better organs, the IKMM and Blue3 come to mind but that was about it.

- EXS24 (now Sampler, but I'm still on 10.4.8). There's plenty of still useable bread and butter patches and also some hidden gems people quite often seem to forget about, simply because there's so much of it. In addition, while the internal pitch shifting isn't something to write home about, it's still by far the most efficient sampler around. Even more than 10 years back I have been able to play back more than 1000 voices in some tests.

- The "little" synths: EFM1, ES E, ES P and ES M. They're all just great and extremely easy on the good old CPU.

- Space Designer. There's no other IR loader as efficient. And as soon as I purchased the excellent "Space Designer Manager" it also turned from one of the worst to the single best IR loader to sort out cab/mic IRs (which I'm using in spades - I'm mainly a guitar player).

These are my favourites but I also use pretty much all the other stock plugins, EQs and compressors included. But I'm not much of a mixing kinda guy, so I'm no expert on all these things.

Fwiw, I tried to like Drum Designer, but unfortunately with some kits the thing often behaves as if it was drunken on count ins, especially when used on a Drummer track. No idea what is causing this, but it's absolutely horrible. Likely some sort of pre-buffering or an inability to load all required samples in a timely manner, dunno.

Ah, talking about Drummer: That's just excellent. There's no other comparable tool as accessible as Drummer. I use it all the time for lay outs and then drag the regions onto plain MIDI channels for further tweakings.

Additional plugins I couldn't do without anymore: U-Hes Zebra2 and MFM2, Kontakt (for some libraries), Battery 3 (still the best for what it does, way better than version 4 as well), Stutter Edit (even if just used sparsely), Helix Native and as of lately NIs Raum. I use plenty of others as well, but these are the essential ones that can't be replaced with anything offered by Logic at all.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qha View Post
Love the stock eq and compressor, they’re so accessible and get the job done 80% the time. In critical things like vocals I use third party stuff.

I never use the blue default compressor though, it’s too slow for me. I’ve set studio fet (1176 emu) the default. It’s punchy as hell. Even usable in it’s 0 attack 0 release, which makes it distort very digitally. I don’t care how accurate it is, it’s very modern.
Yes, I think the stock comp and EQ are great. the logic compressor just works and is super clean. EQ i use on everything.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

I'm very grateful for the analyzer range extension to 120dB in this update.

I think some armchair null testers are about to get a much needed reality check
Attached Thumbnails
Logic Pro X 10.5 is OUT!-screen-shot-2020-05-24-10.19.29-am.jpg  
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Logic stock EQ goes on almost everything.

Logic compressors for basic tasks like taming rough edges and sidechain compression etc.

Noise gate and enveloper on drums etc are grand.

The new 10.5 samplers are brilliant.

The new Drum machine designer is quickly replacing battery for me. Never used the old one.

And the new sequencer isn’t a plug in exactly but it’s the bomb.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Quinn View Post
I'm very grateful for the analyzer range extension to 120dB in this update.

I think some armchair null testers are about to get a much needed reality check
What is that screenshot about?
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck View Post
What is that screenshot about?
That particular screenshot is just of a click occurring on a null test that I think must be a cycle bug because even though it was there more than half of the time, it wasn't for the rest.

It was showing as a faint blip on my master channel, and was clearly audible, yet would not have been seen on the old default 60dB range of the previous channel EQ.

I'm just suggesting people retry their null tests with this setting in the channel EQ if they have the 10.5 update.

There is a lot to be learned there
Old 23 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Quinn View Post
That particular screenshot is just of a click occurring on a null test
A nulltest after doing what?
(Fwiw, I am aware of an issue with converted files not nulling the first sample for unknown reasons under some conditions.)
Old 23 hours ago
Gear Head

Quote:
A nulltest after doing what?
(Fwiw, I am aware of an issue with converted files not nulling the first sample for unknown reasons under some conditions.)
Just try null testing anything you are interested in.

As you can see from my other thread, I am looking at the results of processing instruments and plugins at different project sample rates.

It's worth exploring
Old 22 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
As far as Logics stock plugins go, the things I use (and like) every day:

- Electric Piano. Still extremely useful and IMO decent sounding. Has gotten some updates under the hood over the years, too.

- Vintage Organ. Pretty tough to find much better organs, the IKMM and Blue3 come to mind but that was about it.
These. ^

Other than tracking, which Logic is just smashingly good at, the Keys in Logic are just so damn useful. I'll use them for quick comping/placeholding and they end up sticking because they just work.

Logic will stick around simply for those.
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear
Logic does have excellent fx. I have A LOT of plugins, regardless in Logic I use many of the built in ones becuase they're great, and CPU friendly.

Plugins used on the regular for me are:

Vintage EQs. - (These hold up to IK or just about anything else. Shockingly good. The API graphic is the balls.)
*StepFX* - (Do yourself a favor and play with this if you've overlooked it. This is CamelSpace if you weren't aware. And it's better than the original.)
*PhatFX* - (Same deal. This is CamelPhat. Also better than the original.)
Channel EQ - (Solid parametric. [Also like the 120 dB analyzer].. Use the side mode on the regular.. Center lows, or just turn up the side output to widen. )
De-Esser 2 - (Also shockingly good. Great on mixes and busses.)
Enveloper - (Low resource transient shaper for huge templates where CPU is a factor..)
Match-EQ
Compressor
Limiter - (Not 'Adaptive Limiter'. The regular limiter now has a zero latency 'adaptive' mode. It's a fine bus limiter in most situations.)
Space Designer
Ensemble
Chorus
Overdrive - (Like Ableton's saturator... I can use this in huge, several hundred track templates with no CPU overhead. All-purpose saturation with peak clipping.)
Bitcrusher - (Use this as a peak clipper on drums & big cinematic percussion.)
Direction Mixer - (This thing has clever tricks up its sleeve. A crossover. I.e. Split band imaging.. Mono or less wide lows & wide mids/highs, split stereo placement...)
Level, Loudness, & multimeter.

Sampler & Quick Sampler are going to replace Kontakt for previously non-fancy/non-commercial Kontakt duties. Quite possibly the best all around DAW sampler I've played with in that it's powerful, but stupidly fast to setup. The automap features have a few bugs, once fixed this thing will be as widely used for me as Kontakt and Omnisphere. Quick Sampler's awesome for repurposing loops and old project stems.
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdeadbaby View Post
Logic does have excellent fx. I have A LOT of plugins, regardless in Logic I use many of the built in ones becuase they're great, and CPU friendly.

Plugins used on the regular for me are:

Vintage EQs. - (These hold up to IK or just about anything else. Shockingly good. The API graphic is the balls.)
*StepFX* - (Do yourself a favor and play with this if you've overlooked it. This is CamelSpace if you weren't aware. And it's better than the original.)
*PhatFX* - (Same deal. This is CamelPhat. Also better than the original.)
Channel EQ - (Solid parametric. [Also like the 120 dB analyzer].. Use the side mode on the regular.. Center lows, or just turn up the side output to widen. )
De-Esser 2 - (Also shockingly good. Great on mixes and busses.)
Enveloper - (Low resource transient shaper for huge templates where CPU is a factor..)
Match-EQ
Compressor
Limiter - (Not 'Adaptive Limiter'. The regular limiter now has a zero latency 'adaptive' mode. It's a fine bus limiter in most situations.)
Space Designer
Ensemble
Chorus
Overdrive - (Like Ableton's saturator... I can use this in huge, several hundred track templates with no CPU overhead. All-purpose saturation with peak clipping.)
Bitcrusher - (Use this as a peak clipper on drums & big cinematic percussion.)
Direction Mixer - (This thing has clever tricks up its sleeve. A crossover. I.e. Split band imaging.. Mono or less wide lows & wide mids/highs, split stereo placement...)
Level, Loudness, & multimeter.

Sampler & Quick Sampler are going to replace Kontakt for previously non-fancy/non-commercial Kontakt duties. Quite possibly the best all around DAW sampler I've played with in that it's powerful, but stupidly fast to setup. The automap features have a few bugs, once fixed this thing will be as widely used for me as Kontakt and Omnisphere. Quick Sampler's awesome for repurposing loops and old project stems.
Can’t wait to dig into quick sampler!
Old 11 hours ago
Logic's Ringshifter needs more love.

It is a unique fx with alot of uses
Old 1 hour ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septic View Post
Logic's Ringshifter needs more love.

It is a unique fx with alot of uses
Yes, bit of a hidden gem that one.
Old 12 minutes ago
Lives for gear
How do i go about gettin the 90 Day free trial? I wont be able to pay for a month and cant find a link that doesnt charge me str8 off the bat

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search