The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
smart tempo - recording midi + audio simultaneously
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

smart tempo - recording midi + audio simultaneously

Hi,

I'm trying to use the smart tempo function in LPX

I want to record midi piano and vocal at the same time. I want logic to follow the tempo of the piano. With mode set to adapt or automatic - Logic seems to take the tempo from the vocal track(?) - not the midi piano. On playback the vocal is stretched out of sync with the piano. Anybody have experience with this? What am I missing here?

With thanks in advance
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F uk View Post
Hi,

I'm trying to use the smart tempo function in LPX

I want to record midi piano and vocal at the same time. I want logic to follow the tempo of the piano. With mode set to adapt or automatic - Logic seems to take the tempo from the vocal track(?) - not the midi piano. On playback the vocal is stretched out of sync with the piano. Anybody have experience with this? What am I missing here?

With thanks in advance
Nothing. That capability has not been implemented....yet.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

interesting Name !!!! 1st Post .. Welcome to GS ... is there a reason why you cannot, Record the Midi Piano and Vocals and thn use Logic to create your Tempo Map after recording ???
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

if the midi is the same as played and the audio stretches, you would think that implies it's following the midi and stretching the audio. because if it was the other way round, you would think the audio would remain un stretched.

it would be very hard to imagine how Logic would try to take the tempo from a realtime vocal take effectively. even if it could take it from an audio track in realtime, it would be hard to determine a tempo from the vocal. however, it may be trying to do something like that and failing. so recording a regular audio click instead of a vocal, would probably better to help figure out what's actually happening.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
if the midi is the same as played and the audio stretches, you would think that implies it's following the midi and stretching the audio. because if it was the other way round, you would think the audio would remain un stretched.

it would be very hard to imagine how Logic would try to take the tempo from a realtime vocal take effectively. even if it could take it from an audio track in realtime, it would be hard to determine a tempo from the vocal. however, it may be trying to do something like that and failing. so recording a regular audio click instead of a vocal, would probably better to help figure out what's actually happening.
Actually Logic can take tempo from a vocal in real time quite well, if it’s rhythmic.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Asher View Post
Actually Logic can take tempo from a vocal in real time quite well, if it’s rhythmic.
so that probably means it is trying to take a reading off the audio in realtime.
if it's assumed that that is what it is doing, then what happens to the midi is an interesting question. does the midi warp after the fact. is there a tempo map created. one would assume if it warps as well, it tries to warp to a tempo which the audio has been stretched to. you'd also think some tempo map may have been created. it's intriguing.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
so that probably means it is trying to take a reading off the audio in realtime.
if it's assumed that that is what it is doing, then what happens to the midi is an interesting question. does the midi warp after the fact. is there a tempo map created. one would assume if it warps as well, it tries to warp to a tempo which the audio has been stretched to. you'd also think some tempo map may have been created. it's intriguing.
Indeed but the Logic developers will not be revealing how they accomplish it any time soon. ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Indeed but the Logic developers will not be revealing how they accomplish it any time soon. ?
the developers don't usually talk about much at all from my experience. they rarely try explain what a system is actually doing in very clear technical or procedural language. you generally have to test and triangulate what's actually going on from a user perspective. what process might take precedence, what order something may occur in and so on. that's why I'm wondering where the tempo might be being derived from in this case. and weather some map is constructed, conformed to and then discarded. or if there is a tempo map actually created and kept. which should be obvious if it is. it can help tell you something about the architecture of the software. which is something you will often rarely get from the horses mouth.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
the developers don't usually talk about much at all from my experience. they rarely try explain what a system is actually doing in very clear technical or procedural language. you generally have to test and triangulate what's actually going on from a user perspective. what process might take precedence, what order something may occur in and so on. that's why I'm wondering where the tempo might be being derived from in this case. and weather some map is constructed, conformed to and then discarded. or if there is a tempo map actually created and kept. which should be obvious if it is. it can help tell you something about the architecture of the software. which is something you will often rarely get from the horses mouth.
Let me know when you figure it out ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Let me know when you figure it out ?
haha I was hoping you could tell me. I was just trying to help the guy. I used logic a lot in the past and keep an eye on what it's up to now. tempo detection I always find interesting. it peaks my interest. but if i find anything, I'll try to remember to post it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search