The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Screen sets vs Mission Control
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Screen sets vs Mission Control

Hallo, i have a question for seasoned Logic Pro X users.
I posted this message to VI Control, but this board seems a lot more appropriate :->.

As i described in another thread i am adding Logic Pro X to my setup, being an old timer Cubase users.
I am following some MacProVideo tutorials and starting to playing around with Logic; i am a composer, sometimes purely music, sometime for short movies and sometime i use DAWs to sketch out compositions to play with my groups.

One important point that explain the following: i do not do orchestral or very complex compositions; i usually work with small ensembles, i rarely use more than 15 tracks.

In general i like a lot what i am seeing: i like Cubase, but my general first impression is that logic is more logically organised, more direct, take less thinking to make easy things; but this is just a first impression; later i may end up writing a more structured comparison; it is anyway refreshing and stimulating to see an another way to do things and learn a new program.

One major pain point that i partially had with Cubase is the lack of a full integration with the Mac native window management (Mission Control, virtual screens etc). A very simple thing that i love about Logic is the fact you can make a window full screen, and than i can have a virtual screen with a full screen mixer and a virtual screen with a full screen composition window; in Cubase you can use virtual screen, but you cannot go full screen; DAWs require every little pixel, on a laptop or in a 27" display, imho.

But something i am afraid i cannot do in Logic is to have plugins in normal, non floating windows, and put them is separate virtual screens; when i work in Cubase, i usually have one or two virtual screns of VI, a mixer virtual screen, an editing virtual screen and one or two virtual screen of mastering plugins. The point is that since i usually have a limited number of tracks, i can afford to have all the major VI and plugins fully exposed in parallel, thing that would not be thinkable or useful with a bigger number of tracks.

I googled around and it look like it was possible in some very old version to open a plugin in a non floating window but it doesn't seem possible anymore.

Yes, i know what a seasoned Logic Pro user would says: use screen sets.
There a number of things i do not like using screens sets.

First, they are slow, compared to switching virtual screen with Mission Control; while compositing/mixing/mastering in parallel, i continuously switch between virtual screens, from VI to mixer to mastering to editing.

Second, they do not remember fulll screen status, and if you use for exemple a mixer and an editing full screen, they are compacted to one. So, if you want to work full screen, it seems that a screen set switch will make you lose more time but resetting full screen status.

Third, they are not a system wide mechanism; while composing/arranging i may have Sibelius open, or a PDF with the score, iTunes open on a version of the song i am working on, Safari open on plugin documentation, or music theory page, and so on. Using one mechanism to switch to the other applications virtual screen and a different one to manage Logic Pro windows is not either fast or intuitive.

OK, i know that a part of this pain derive from trying to adapt an existing workflow to a different tool, and a safer way of behaving would be to start from scratch with a different tool; but the three point above, even if you drop the first (how fast is fast enough, after all), are still valid.

So, first question: am i right in what i understood or am i missing something ?

And the second question is: how you balance between screen sets and Mission Control ? What is your personal strategy ?

Maurizio

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search