The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Using Outboard Gear With Logic Pro X
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
Yea I had a 500 rack with a 525 in it and also an RNC and analog out/in via the MOTU (over firewire) and I would get different values every time I “pinged”
so to speak.

I have read that LPX has upped its game though (remember that was on LP9 that I was testing) and just wanted to see if things like sample accurate parallel compression was possible or not.

I think even Pro Tools might still have some ironing out to do here as well? I know it was a bit of a grumble for a while there anyway.

I’d test it myself but as luck would have it my MBP CPU died yesterday and just found out today it can’t be repaired. :(

R.
I'm hoping LPX does it well. I will try when I get it all set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem69 View Post
Do you have a patchbay?
if so, and audio ins and outs are versatile as far as connectivity goes, without backdoor cable rummaging..

I assumed you would use the clarett rather than the Audient to do the send/returns, are you talking realtime tracking whilst using in/out to outboard or in/during mixing?

i guess it wouldn't be an issue if you were using it as 'inserts' if the Clarett had inserts..

I think i'm tying my brain in knots now thinking too much..
My intention was to send out from the Clarett and back in yes. I may also use the inserts on the ASP880 for tracking, but the Clarett for "mixing", as in sending things back through gear. Two separate functions I guess.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Also I don't have a patch bay. I'll look into it. I didn't think I had enough gear to warrant one yet.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Konkon most definitely get a patchbay and patch all of the in/outs of your outboard to it as well as the inserts on ASP880. And include the Clarett’s line-in/line-outs too.

It’ll eat into your budget at bit but this will make your life infinitely easier and you’ll really be able to experiment with different configurations at the twist of a patch cable. Nothing worse than fiddling around the back of rack equipment trying to remember what goes where...

R.
Speaking of budget, would it matter greatly what patch bay I got? I can probably get some cheapskate ones locally, but they might be pretty low level. Is it the kind of thing that doesn't need to be super high end to do the job?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkon View Post
Speaking of budget, would it matter greatly what patch bay I got? I can probably get some cheapskate ones locally, but they might be pretty low level. Is it the kind of thing that doesn't need to be super high end to do the job?
Yeah have search for "best budget patchbay" or something like that. There will be a few threads that come up and mention the pro's and con's of each but I don't reckon you need to spend a fortune.

I think Neutrik and Samson get mentioned quite a lot and they're around €50 or something? Can't remember off the top of my head but just have a little dig and you'll find some good advice.

R.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah have search for "best budget patchbay" or something like that. There will be a few threads that come up and mention the pro's and con's of each but I don't reckon you need to spend a fortune.

I think Neutrik and Samson get mentioned quite a lot and they're around €50 or something? Can't remember off the top of my head but just have a little dig and you'll find some good advice.

R.
I was about to say there's a Neutrik one I have seen super cheap so was wondering if that would be worthwhile.

https://www.thomann.de/intl/hk/neutr...p_patchbay.htm

Something like that seems okay?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Always best to have a quick online search to check opinions but I think (think!) that was the one (or at least a Neutrik and it wasn’t expensive) my buddy got, very simple, no bells and whistles, but he immediately loved how accessible it made all his toys.

I’m on my phone so can’t really check the link but I’d trust both Neutrik and Thomann.

R.

Quote:
I was about to say there's a Neutrik one I have seen super cheap so was wondering if that would be worthwhile.

https://www.thomann.de/intl/hk/neutr...p_patchbay.htm

Something like that seems okay?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Always best to have a quick online search to check opinions but I think (think!) that was the one (or at least a Neutrik and it wasn’t expensive) my buddy got, very simple, no bells and whistles, but he immediately loved how accessible it made all his toys.

I’m on my phone so can’t really check the link but I’d trust both Neutrik and Thomann.

R.
It's pretty cheap for sure.

I am just wondering how essential the patch bay is if I don't intend to change things much, because I forgot to mention that I will pretty much only ever record my own band and I am hoping to have a setup that I pretty much leave, with only maybe slight adjustments on gear settings.

I may go down the route of sending everything out and back in, but I am not sure yet. This would be the scenario in which the patch bay would help a lot. Is that right? Or am I totally off base here?

But if I have a setup with the gear on tracking that I barely change around then it would be less useful?

Am I understanding this correctly or am I mistaken?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Well only you can say how useful it’ll be to your work-flow but the great thing is that then any piece you have can quickly be used in either situation (tracking or mixing) and quickly auditioned in situations you might not have first thought of and nor bothered with If you were faced with patching and unpatching everything from ‘round back.

Is it essential? Nah. Does it increase productivity? Definitely.

R.

Quote:
It's pretty cheap for sure.

I am just wondering how essential the patch bay is if I don't intend to change things much, because I forgot to mention that I will pretty much only ever record my own band and I am hoping to have a setup that I pretty much leave, with only maybe slight adjustments on gear settings.

I may go down the route of sending everything out and back in, but I am not sure yet. This would be the scenario in which the patch bay would help a lot. Is that right? Or am I totally off base here?

But if I have a setup with the gear on tracking that I barely change around then it would be less useful?

Am I understanding this correctly or am I mistaken?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well only you can say how useful it’ll be to your work-flow but the great thing is that then any piece you have can quickly be used in either situation (tracking or mixing) and quickly auditioned in situations you might not have first thought of and nor bothered with If you were faced with patching and unpatching everything from ‘round back.

Is it essential? Nah. Does it increase productivity? Definitely.

R.
I just had an idea. A friend of mine uses a patch bay. Maybe I should go and fool around with his a bit and understand better what I am dealing with so that I am more educated on the matter before making such a decision. I am definitely interested.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

That’s a great idea.

R.

Quote:
I just had an idea. A friend of mine uses a patch bay. Maybe I should go and fool around with his a bit and understand better what I am dealing with so that I am more educated on the matter before making such a decision. I am definitely interested.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I'll ask him if I can come and have a shot.

Quote:
That’s a great idea.

R.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Logic I/O works fine, just don't try it without thunderbolt connection. It gets unusable. I think most everyone has switched over by now? I typically do not ping for values if that helps. The thunderbolt latency is so small it isn't noticeable on most uses.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobian View Post
Logic I/O works fine, just don't try it without thunderbolt connection. It gets unusable. I think most everyone has switched over by now? I typically do not ping for values if that helps. The thunderbolt latency is so small it isn't noticeable on most uses.
I am using Thunderbolt, but I need to convert Thunderbolt 2 to 3 for my computer. Should that make any difference?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Not sure on that, but most likely not a big deal.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobian View Post
Not sure on that, but most likely not a big deal.
OK thanks. Not much choice anyway since my computer is only USB-C/TB3 and interfaces don't seem to be jumping on the TB3 thing.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Which brings me to another point. Due to the features of the Audient, I may end up putting on this stuff while tracking, rather than sending in and out. I want to have both options though. Don't know which will be best for me until I set it all up and try. Or maybe a mixture of both.
Hi guys, I would like to note that the I/O plugin (and hardware insert in Pro Tools) is not meant to be used while tracking. It is a mix tool. It can be done - but you will need to set an extremely low buffer setting in your DAW which could likely push your computer to it's limits. (Logic in this case)

As a secondary note - the Audient ASP series devices do not have outputs that can be used via ADAT. You will need to use the outputs of your main interface to connect your outboard gear. (though of course - you can still use the inputs of the ASP as returns connected to your main interface via ADAT)
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevaliermusic View Post
Hi guys, I would like to note that the I/O plugin (and hardware insert in Pro Tools) is not meant to be used while tracking. It is a mix tool. It can be done - but you will need to set an extremely low buffer setting in your DAW which could likely push your computer to it's limits. (Logic in this case)

As a secondary note - the Audient ASP series devices do not have outputs that can be used via ADAT. You will need to use the outputs of your main interface to connect your outboard gear. (though of course - you can still use the inputs of the ASP as returns connected to your main interface via ADAT)
Maybe I'm missing something but can you not use these outputs/returns?

R.
Attached Thumbnails
Using Outboard Gear With Logic Pro X-screen-shot-2019-11-11-15.11.46.jpg  
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevaliermusic View Post

The first part. Yes I know. I should not need it if I use hardware while tracking. My original question was for when I want to use it in mixing, so that's fine. I am interested in trying both ways and having both options, that's all.

Second part, well, I just meant to use the Audient if done while tracking, since it has the DB25 inserts. If while mixing I wanted to know how to do it with the Focusrite, as you were saying.

Thanks.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Maybe I'm missing something but can you not use these outputs/returns?

R.
I'm not sure about this, but I would probably use the Audient inserts while tracking, but just out/in from the Clarett if mixing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search