The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Left is louder than right
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Left is louder than right

Maybe I don't understand something, but today I've discovered one thing. Put Test oscillator on a stereo channel and set output to Bus 1. Make this bus mono. And then try hard left and hard right position on Test Oscillator channel. Left position (-64) is 6db louder than right (+63). Same with balance in gain plugin, and panning in another plugins. Is it a glitch or what?

Update: same with send to the mono bus.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
What are the settings for "Pan Law"? Project Settings->General

https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/...#/lgcp4f230784
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by facej View Post
What are the settings for "Pan Law"? Project Settings->General

https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/...#/lgcp4f230784
-3db compensated.

tried on a different mac. same result.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Louder in what way? On the meters? In the speakers? Is it the same if you listen through headphones?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
Louder in what way? On the meters? In the speakers? Is it the same if you listen through headphones?
On the meters, and in the speakers/headphones of course. This is obviously a software glitch.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Are your monitors in phase?

Please describe your setup in more detail.

Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

This is not about setup. It is Logic bug. Just send Test Oscillator to then Mono Bus. And turn Test Oscillator hard left and hard right and check the volume difference. It is software bug.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I agree, looks like a bug. Seems like the pan-law compensation doesn't work right. Probably a result of the internal resolution of the Logic pan control which has 128 positions (0=left 65=centre 128=right - there are 64 positions to the left and 63 to the right and someone hasn't allowed for that properly.) If Pan-law is set to 0 everything works as expected.

A work-around is to pan to -63 instead of -64 - looks like it's only that last position that has the problem.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I just tried this and was not able to duplicate the problem. Test oscillator, stereo track, levels observed on master meter. Test conditions are, fresh project, one track for the Test Oscillator at -12dB. Panning hard left resulted in -9 left, infinity right. Panning hard right resulted in -9 right, infinity left. Panning center, -12 both channels. Tried pan law setting changes, they all worked correctly, no difference in maximum pan channel gains in any setting. Pan law changes only affect how things pan, but they didn't change pan symmetry. Yes, there are 64 positions one way, 63 the other, but on my system the maximum pan settings worked correctly, no bug observed.

What specific channel difference was observed? What version of Logic?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search