The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Varispeed - How to record a guitar slower then speed up the take
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Varispeed - How to record a guitar slower then speed up the take

Hello there.

I am recording some guitar demos for a client for ideas and the guitar tabs he sent to me are a little above my skill level of playing. So to buy time I want to slow down the project 10% or 15% and record the take, then go back to the original speed.

When I try to do this using Varispeed, I am able to slow down the project and record, everything is perfect but when I turn off Varispeed my take is now with a higher pitch. I have tried everything to be able to do this and go back to the original speed without stretching the pitch of my take, only the speed (like the time-stretch function) but without success.

1 - Is it possible to be done?

2 - If so, how?

Thanks!!

TLDR: How can I slow down the speed of my project, record a guitar take, then go back to the original tempo keeping the pitch of my recorded take?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amentini View Post
Hello there.

I am recording some guitar demos for a client for ideas and the guitar tabs he sent to me are a little above my skill level of playing. So to buy time I want to slow down the project 10% or 15% and record the take, then go back to the original speed.

When I try to do this using Varispeed, I am able to slow down the project and record, everything is perfect but when I turn off Varispeed my take is now with a higher pitch. I have tried everything to be able to do this and go back to the original speed without stretching the pitch of my take, only the speed (like the time-stretch function) but without success.

1 - Is it possible to be done?

2 - If so, how?

Thanks!!

TLDR: How can I slow down the speed of my project, record a guitar take, then go back to the original tempo keeping the pitch of my recorded take?
You have to select the option in varispeed 'speed only', there is an option for 'speed and pitch' too!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz View Post
You have to select the option in varispeed 'speed only', there is an option for 'speed and pitch' too!
Hi, I've tried with Speed Only too, it doesnt work. Still change the pitch of my take when I turn off the Varispeed back to the normal speed. Speed and Pitch doesnt work as well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

You can achieve this using Melodyne (from Celemony) but it's a separate app/plugin.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amentini View Post
Hi, I've tried with Speed Only too, it doesnt work. Still change the pitch of my take when I turn off the Varispeed back to the normal speed. Speed and Pitch doesnt work as well.
You must be making a mistake somewhere - I just tried this, if you varispeed the 'speed' only, record, then turn off the varispeed, then the recording stays at the same pitch and speeds up (as expected). If you are finding that your recording goes up in pitch then you must be recording with 'speed and pitch' ?

Edit - what version of Logic are you using?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search