The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Metal distortion guitar sound
Old 1st October 2019
Here for the gear

Metal distortion guitar sound

Hi. I've been trying for some time to figure out a good heavy distortion guitar sound, something along the lines of slayer in south of heaven or similar. For that matter I'd be quite happy if I could replicate the strangler lsound in abelton.

So far my best shot at it has been to fiddle with sculpture and send it through one of the amp stacks. The sampled exs24 strat doesn't seem to work as well I suspet the clean tone just isn't well suited to this.

Has anyone had any luck with this with stock or external ? I figure shreddage would give me some good clean tones but their amp simple is apparently not logic compatible so I still need to find myself a suitable effects chain.

Or maybe I should either just rewire abelton or grab an ibanez gio and a boss distortion pedal for about 100 and a bit
Old 3rd October 2019
Well I have the same amp both Kerry and Jeff played, and none of the sims Ive tried really sounds like it. Just short of that Amplitube is the one I went with, it sounds close enough to my real rig for demo work and writing. Most of my pedals are in there already too so it was easy to get going. Nothing beats the sound of a real grinding JCM800 2203/2204 though. Thats all their rigs were, just EMG active pickups into a stock JCM for the most part.
Old 3rd October 2019
Lives for gear
Sans Amp PSA-1
Old 3rd October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Well I have the same amp both Kerry and Jeff played, and none of the sims Ive tried really sounds like it. Just short of that Amplitube is the one I went with, it sounds close enough to my real rig for demo work and writing. Most of my pedals are in there already too so it was easy to get going. Nothing beats the sound of a real grinding JCM800 2203/2204 though. Thats all their rigs were, just EMG active pickups into a stock JCM for the most part.
Thanks, I'll take a look at amplitude.

I played with the (free) NRR-1 / ProFet / TPA-1 combo from ignite amps which seems more promising than the stock plugins

I think you're onto something with the observation about EMG pickups -- the vintage strat tone in the stock EXS24 just doesn't work for this kind of sound (really need some kind of humbucker, and some palm mute samples) which means if I want a good suitable tone I have to work with the sculpture synth.

I'm starting to like the idea of grabbing a used Schecter or ESP of Ebay with EMGs for the rhythm work. Even then I'm going to keep plugging away at getting a good sound for leads because I'm a much better pianist than guitarist.
Old 3rd October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
Thanks, I'll take a look at amplitude.

I played with the (free) NRR-1 / ProFet / TPA-1 combo from ignite amps which seems more promising than the stock plugins

I think you're onto something with the observation about EMG pickups -- the vintage strat tone in the stock EXS24 just doesn't work for this kind of sound (really need some kind of humbucker, and some palm mute samples) which means if I want a good suitable tone I have to work with the sculpture synth.

I'm starting to like the idea of grabbing a used Schecter or ESP of Ebay with EMGs for the rhythm work. Even then I'm going to keep plugging away at getting a good sound for leads because I'm a much better pianist than guitarist.
Yeah honestly the big key is those pickups and the Marshall. They've played all kinds of BC Rich through ESP stuff so the guitar itself doesn't really matter. Jeff was playing a Les Paul with a Floyd Rose in it when they did their first two albums, still sounded like him haha. Kerry also ran one of those little blue MXR EQs into his, and kept the settings in a 'reverse smile', where it was all mid range instead of the typical scoop eq. He had that built into his signature JCM800. I think they both also ran KT88s in them too, which will give it quite a big kick in the balls, even for a Marshall. Mine is one of the US models that has 6550s in it and that thing has some serious weight to its tone compared to a normal EL34 one. Almost had mine modded years ago back to EL34s and my tech told me I was crazy.. Thank god I trust that man and listened, wouldn't have it any other way now. Its THE Marshall for 80s/90s metal and thrash tone without any pedals heh. All it needs is an SD-1 or an overdrive and it'll easily go into the heavier 90s death metal stuff on its own too.

Yeah Strat single coils wont cut it though haha. Even a passive Duncan humbucker in it will pull it off but not those singles. The EMGs have a gnarly boost in them. First thing I did when I bought my first Strat in 96 was rip that thing out and replace it with a Duncan Distortion. Now all it does is metal (my guitar tone and rig is pretty much the same as Godflesh heh). Now my Telecaster, THAT thing somehow can pull off convincing thrash with its stock 'vintage 60s' single coil go figure. I dont know what the big difference is, but the Tele's single coil breathes fire compared to the Strats stock pickups.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Following up again, I ended up biting the bullet and picking up a scepter blackjack atx which is loaded with active SD blackouts. With these the Marshall amp Sims in logoc s
ound pretty good, the oranges also OK if I put a tube screamer on the pedalboard.

I also picked up revalver. Their 6505+ sim is pretty sweet. They also have a ts808 sim which works well with their orange sim. Like you said a good punchy active pickup really helps.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search