The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Installing LP X
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Installing LP X

How did you install LP X? Internal or external hard drive and what would y'all recommend?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I would gamble that most people have Logic installed on their internal system drives. If drive space is an issue, there’s an option to move the sound library files (apple loops and whatnot) to a different location.
Old 3 weeks ago
Logic should be installed on your main hard drive. Sessions, libraries and all that should be kept and run from external hard drives.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbastienmusic View Post
Logic should be installed on your main hard drive. Sessions, libraries and all that should be kept and run from external hard drives.
Nice YouTube channel Jeff! You’re a natural in front of the camera. Subscribed. Best of luck with it.

I run a lot of my sessions from my internal SSD without any issues. My Library (Kontakt files and whatnot) are stored externally. If I had a big enough internal SSD, I’d store everything there.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.dot View Post
I run a lot of my sessions from my internal SSD without any issues. My Library (Kontakt files and whatnot) are stored externally. If I had a big enough internal SSD, I’d store everything there.
Thanks for the kind words about my channel and subscribing =)

And for sure running stuff off an internal drive can be fine. I did it for years with zero issues. But it depends one what you’re doing, how large the sessions are and if there are a ton of sample libraries loaded and running.

I talked about it in the speed up your daw video. I was scoring a film and it was killing my computer. 98% of the tracks were sample libraries running in logic. I had Pro Tools running the video footage. I couldn’t play more than a couple seconds without logic crapping out and telling me to die in a fire lol. The session was also getting to be rather large as well. So I moved the session over to one of my external hard drives, reopened it up and all my issues were gone.

But if I was tracking a rock track and most, if not everything is real and not sampled, then yea for sure. Having the session on the internal drive is fine. It always just boils down to what one is doing. Everyone’s needs and situations will be different for sure =)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbastienmusic View Post
I had Pro Tools running the video footage.

)
Off topic and for my own interest and knowledge. Why were you running the video off of Pro Tools? Two separate, or the same machine?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.dot View Post
Off topic and for my own interest and knowledge. Why were you running the video off of Pro Tools? Two separate, or the same machine?
Same machine. It’s common for film or TV composers. It would take a week to explain the set up and why. Christian Henson from Spitfire Audio did a video a few years ago explaining the whole set up and why it’s used. It’s on his YT channel. If I can find it later today I’ll send you a link to it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

@ jbastienmusic and @ d.dot

Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Where install Pro

I have the DAW on the computer's built in hard drive, but my sessions and the original tracks are on an outboard Solid State drive. On my older Mac mini, trying to run more than about 25 tracks on the system drive was causing drive hangs, but going to the SSD allows me to get past 60 with no probs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The bottleneck for me is my external 4TB old school moving parts HD where my sound library and Kontakt files are stored. I’m running my sessions on the internal SSD where I can easily run 40 plus Kontakt tracks, but I’ll sometimes get audio dropouts on some of the larger sessions. Kontakt will show that red disc warning. I’m assuming because it can’t get the files off the drive fast enough. However I’m running the Kontakt memory server where its supposed to load all the samples into RAM (64GB) and stream from there. I skimped and didn’t buy a faster and more robust external drive for that reason. Maybe someone can shed some more light on how the Kontakt memory server is supposed to work?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search