The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tempo drift with Superior drummer 3 in Logic
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Tempo drift with Superior drummer 3 in Logic

Hey, I posted this at the Logic forum also, but haven't found a solution:

I'm experiencing a midi tempo drift issue on a song I'm recording. Maybe someone has some tips?

I bounced a stereo file of the song I'm working on for the drummer to play on - which he did on a separate computer using a roland T-50 kit and superior drummer 3 in his own DAW. I then bounced his midi file into my Mac/Logic pro x onto the original project, and running my own version of the SD3 plugin.

The midi file drifts compared to the original song - around an eight note by the end of the project.

It seems the original bounce was tempo-precise, since he lined it up in his own daw and played to a click which stayed consistent though out.

I've tried both placing the midi file on a logic midi track, and the SD3s internal sequencer/track with Logic as "host". In both instances the midi drifts off the grid(s) - both visually and audibly.

It's as though if I could shrink the entire midi file by maybe 1 bpm it would line up. Actually I did do that by using option click on the right corner of the midi file, but instantly got stuttering, blips, beeps and midi/audio-error messages.

Anyone have a clue?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Nobody having problems with midi tempo drift, or have any techniques to fix it?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I experienced similar problems with Logic and timing going awry. Sometimes It would sound right when playing back the arrangement but be off when bounced down.
I never found a solution and I couldn’t pinpoint the reasons.
In the end I gave up on Logic and moved to another DAW.
I am sorry I cannot be more helpful and I really hope you find the solution.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
I experienced similar problems with Logic and timing going awry. Sometimes It would sound right when playing back the arrangement but be off when bounced down.
I never found a solution and I couldn’t pinpoint the reasons.
In the end I gave up on Logic and moved to another DAW.
I am sorry I cannot be more helpful and I really hope you find the solution.
Well, at least I feel a little less alone. Thanks for the reply
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Some options or things you might want to look into if you haven’t already.

-Find exactly where the drift starts and, shortcut key command select all notes after, and shift all notes back a bit. This might have to be don in multipl areas.

But you’re trying to avoid this so first;

-is it just one midi file?
If it is and was sent to you that way or you combined it all into one midi file, one of the midi regions may have been slightly nudged off a bit.
This is fairlycommon with logic and one of the first things I would look at. Under the “smart snap” function in the arrange window, which most users keep enabled, sometimes the midi regions don’t butt up right next to one another.

-not sure how you tried to shrink the midi file, but the time stretch function in logic is the best way. You probably did this, I’m mentioning it in case you tried some external editor or whatnot.
Option+click towards the bottom of the midi file, at the end of the midi file, and push it back by an 1/8th note.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by axs1 View Post
I bounced a stereo file of the song I'm working on for the drummer to play on - which he did on a separate computer using a roland T-50 kit and superior drummer 3 in his own DAW. I then bounced his midi file into my Mac/Logic pro x onto the original project, and running my own version of the SD3 plugin.

The midi file drifts compared to the original song - around an eight note by the end of the project.

It seems the original bounce was tempo-precise, since he lined it up in his own daw and played to a click which stayed consistent though out.
Have you tried opening the MIDI file he sent you in your SD3 stand alone and looked at its tempo map independent of Logic?

Analyze and fix it there before bringing it into Logic might be a quick solution.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search