The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic sends MIDI messages when I click "save" or "cancel", etc.
Old 7th September 2019
Gear Nut

Logic sends MIDI messages when I click "save" or "cancel", etc.

I don't understand this.

I have a Roland FA 06 and I was going crazy trying to figure out why the sound kept getting messed up. Due diligence, I checked everything.

Finally figured out something was telling the Attack Time Offset for the filter to change to +46, which makes the attack really long - not what you want on a Piano sound.

I could roll it back and it seemed fine.

I thought I had eliminated it. Basically I deleted everything but Note messages in a MIDI track.

I realized I hadn't yet saved the file (I had all these issues so hadn't done any real work to it yet).

So I Apple-S'd it, and gave it a name, and clicked the "Save" button and guess what - there it was - it changed the Attack Time in my Synth to 46 again.

I wound it back to 0.

So I experimented a bit and did a "Save as Template" thing. Clicked "Cancel".

Guess what. It did it again.

So it appears clicking the buttons in dialog boxes is sending messages to my keyboard (CC 74) to tell it to change.

Why?

Created a New track, click "Create", and guess what - the Attack time is at +26 (it was 46 at first, but that could have been something else).

how do I make it stop sending this message?
Old 7th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieotomy View Post
I don't understand this.

I have a Roland FA 06 and I was going crazy trying to figure out why the sound kept getting messed up. Due diligence, I checked everything.

Finally figured out something was telling the Attack Time Offset for the filter to change to +46, which makes the attack really long - not what you want on a Piano sound.

I could roll it back and it seemed fine.

I thought I had eliminated it. Basically I deleted everything but Note messages in a MIDI track.

I realized I hadn't yet saved the file (I had all these issues so hadn't done any real work to it yet).

So I Apple-S'd it, and gave it a name, and clicked the "Save" button and guess what - there it was - it changed the Attack Time in my Synth to 46 again.

I wound it back to 0.

I

So I experimented a bit and did a "Save as Template" thing. Clicked "Cancel".

Guess what. It did it again.

So it appears clicking the buttons in dialog boxes is sending messages to my keyboard (CC 74) to tell it to change.

Why?

Created a New track, click "Create", and guess what - the Attack time is at +26 (it was 46 at first, but that could have been something else).

how do I make it stop sending this message?
I would try resetting the NVRAM/PRAM and SMC on your Mac or just do a restart first if you haven’t already tried that.
Old 7th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanephil View Post
I would try resetting the NVRAM/PRAM and SMC on your Mac or just do a restart first if you haven’t already tried that.
I remember "zapping the pram" from years ago. Didn't know they still did that.

What is SMC?
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieotomy View Post
I remember "zapping the pram" from years ago. Didn't know they still did that.

What is SMC?
System Management Controller. It doesn't sound like that's the issue but it's usually easy enough to do and it won't screw anything up..

https://www.howtogeek.com/312086/how...c-on-your-mac/
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanephil View Post
HAHA!!!

2004....Now THAT was a great year for buggy software! I remember Protools....6.1? Maybe? Would just quit whenever it felt like it...

Zap the Pram! Repair permissions!

Back then, F'up gear was a BONDING experience, your system would go to S$%T, you'd start making calls, next thing you know it was 4:30 AM half your friends are in the studio with their laptops, everyone on a mission to de-bug your system...ah...I miss those days...

To the OP....listen carefully...the problem is......LOGIC!!!!!

They have had absolutely bizarre MIDI malfunctions going back 7-8 years now...I had to QUIT using Logic because it was just one after another, Apple would deny the problem, you'd go to the forum and all the schills would try to convince you the problem was
YOU ....I remember Logic not being able to use external MIDI for more than 10 minutes before going up in smoke...I had to admit it to myself finally, this program is screwed, and for everything it does well, there are two things going wrong that the company denies untill they have it fixed if they EVER DO.

Switch to a DAW that WORKS with external MIDI...you can keep beating your head against the wall if you like, but it won't help, there isn't "Something you are missing" there's no "Fix" out there on some forum...this is a never-ending treadmill, The DAW is not stable, especially with external MIDI.
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
HAHA!!!

To the OP....listen carefully...the problem is......LOGIC!!!!!
Oh, this I know. And strongly suspected coming in. And have now determined that it is exactly Logic.

Quote:
I remember Logic not being able to use external MIDI for more than 10 minutes before going up in smoke..

I remember it like it was yesterday. Because it was. It won't work with External MIDI - and I think intentionally so.

Quote:
I had to admit it to myself finally, this program is screwed, and for everything it does well, there are two things going wrong that the company denies untill they have it fixed if they EVER DO.
Well, the more I use it, the worse it gets - one step forward, 2 steps back. Basically learning to use Logic is essentially learning what it can do well, and what it should do well but can't unlike all the other DAWs that do do it well.

Quote:
Switch to a DAW that WORKS with external MIDI...you can keep beating your head against the wall if you like, but it won't help, there isn't "Something you are missing" there's no "Fix" out there on some forum...this is a never-ending treadmill, The DAW is not stable, especially with external MIDI.
Unfortunately, it's just something I can't do right now.

I wouldn't even mess with Logic if I could afford Cubase.

Simply put, Apple is not interested in making their products integrate with other products - so you'll buy all Apple products. It's like this newest Mac I have - thunderbolt ports everywhere. I'm sorry, I can't go out and buy all new equipment so I have thunderbolt ports - that you'll change to some other non-standard proprietary BS by the time I've upgraded everything.

I read a review some years ago where the person said "Logic is the only DAW that makes me want to bang my head against a wall" - so you said it well, because that's what it's like.

It's not a professional product despite the name. But it's all I have to work with right now.

I'll just have to do what I can with it's severe limitations - which at this point isn't very inspiring.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search