The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
External MIDI setup for live use (backing tracks) - notes keep playing after I press
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Maniac

External MIDI setup for live use (backing tracks) - notes keep playing after I press

Somewhat a noob to midi. but I managed to plug everything together, and every machine is receiving MIDI. That part took quite a few tutorials and trial/error but hey, it works now

Here's the setup:

MacBook pro laptop running LogicPro X 10.3.1 - USB to Midi Breakout cable - Kenton MIDI 5 THru to:

- Bass Station 2 (channel 7)

- Elektron Model: sample (channel 6 (notes and pgm changes) 5 for FX control)

- Elektron Digitone (tracks 1-4 on MIDI channels 1-4, overall control on channel 16).

Will add a volca beat to the mix (channel 10), and trying to incorporate a BossRC300 as well (midi SYNC only).

My problems/need-want to do

Problem 1

I launch MIDI loops I created and they all play on their respective channels, sometimes! That is somewhat great. Until I hit stop or pause. If i stop playback during a note, the note played is sustained. Even when I close Logic, the notes still play.

I'm pretty sure there's a simple things I didn't do (tick a box or select an option somewhere) that makes everything stop when I hit stop.

Problem 2

Can't figure out how to send program change # to the Model:Sample so it changes pattern. I input the info on the midi region related to the channel of the drum machine on the right hand window - I select PROGRAM CHANGE, input the timecode I want it in effect, select the channel, select the value (it goes to GM by default, which is weird - PC with this machine are related to pattern numbers)

Problem 2b

Again with the drum machine - when I start patterns recorded on it, they play at Logic's tempo (yay!) but when I press stop, they continue playing (not yay) at the drum machine's internal tempo. Some song will be constructed in the drum machine, some in Logic. I can I toggle between the modes - if needed - or can they coexist in the same arranger window? This also happens with the Digitonekeys.

Want to do

I want to use either the DigitoneKeys or the BassStation to play software instruments and record midi parts too. Is it possible?

Let's say on one song, we do not use the Bass Station Synth engine. Can it serves as a controller for Logic? Same for Digitone Keys. It will be either, not both. Probably the Bass station, UNLESS i can use the Digitone's transport buttons to launch/stop Logic's sequences.

Do i use my midi breakout cable MIDI IN port? IF so, how do I set it up in Logic? USB?

I'm starting to get at my wit's ends here: this is a little bit more complicated than pedals.

tried to incorporate as much info as possible, but earlier version of the setup (DigitoneKeys as the brain) worked better, without the sustaining notes and drum machines still playing after hitting stop.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search