The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone using Logic without stock content?
Old 26th August 2019
Here for the gear

Anyone using Logic without stock content?

Hello,

Ableton Live user here, lately I was looking to Logic as a DAW perhaps more suited to my “linear” workflow.

I am a minimal-setup guy who doesn’t like distractions / bells and whistles. I already own all my working tools (hardware synths / drum machine / 3rd part mixing plugins) and won’t need any of the Logic plugins or VI or apple loops, even if they are really great as I read in the forum. I feel that Logic has “too much” distractions for me, and I prefer a basic setup with less tools. Navigating through menus and lists of plugins and sounds can be really distractive for me.

That said, i read a lot of love in the forum for the stock plugins and instruments in Logic.
Is there anyone who uses Logic “just” as a recording environment without the stock content? Is it still worth it?
I am afraid Logic will be “too much bells and whistles” everywhere. Doesn’t it look like a toy sometimes, with all those instrument GarageBand-ish icons and loops and pre-processed ready-to-go stuff?

Thanks for your opinion!
Old 26th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjj View Post
Hello,

Ableton Live user here, lately I was looking to Logic as a DAW perhaps more suited to my “linear” workflow.

I am a minimal-setup guy who doesn’t like distractions / bells and whistles. I already own all my working tools (hardware synths / drum machine / 3rd part mixing plugins) and won’t need any of the Logic plugins or VI or apple loops, even if they are really great as I read in the forum. I feel that Logic has “too much” distractions for me, and I prefer a basic setup with less tools. Navigating through menus and lists of plugins and sounds can be really distractive for me.

That said, i read a lot of love in the forum for the stock plugins and instruments in Logic.
Is there anyone who uses Logic “just” as a recording environment without the stock content? Is it still worth it?
I am afraid Logic will be “too much bells and whistles” everywhere. Doesn’t it look like a toy sometimes, with all those instrument GarageBand-ish icons and loops and pre-processed ready-to-go stuff?

Thanks for your opinion!
I don’t think you can make the stock plugins disappear from the drop-down lists(Instruments or FX) but you can create a folder with only your 3rd party stuff so if you wish, you can only go there to instantiate any AU plugin.

You can select in Logic prefs what you want the app to display as far as features. Say you’ll never do surround or traditional score editing, you can have all those features not available in menus. If you deselect everything, that’s where the cheezy wooden bars on the side of the app appear to tell you you’re in GarageBand mode.

And you can easily fine-tune what you want to see as far as GUI. My template doesn’t have any GarageBand-ish icons, only important stuff and everything is set up so there’s no pixel lost for that cheezy stuff. You have options everywhere to put everything to its minimum in that department.

Some Logic instruments look like spaceship dashboards, you have to get used to that and a lot of people complain about that but if you take the time to learn those synths, you realize that these synths are pretty deep and it will not be easy for Apple to change those GUIs and keep all these parameters easily accessible.

KA
Old 26th August 2019
Deleted 46c206d
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for your opinion!
Then what you need is Pro Tools. I have been using Logic for... well literally since forever. If it was not for the content (as in built in effects and synths) and I would only take the DAW into account, I would presumably not use it.

I have been using almost all the other linear DAWS as well for different reason, and if you don't take the built in content, just strictly the DAW itself, then Pro Tools is far superior to all the rest as far as I'm concerned. It's clean, slick, precise, responsive, accurate, easy to navigate, reliable (when set up correctly) and is a pleasure to use (again, as far as I'm concerned).
Old 26th August 2019
Lives for gear
If you simply want to record you could use GarageBand...it does fine with multi-track recording of audio.
Old 26th August 2019
Lives for gear

I've only used a few of Logic's built-in instruments and plugins, but if you really want a distraction-free environment you might want to look into Reaper. It's cheap and the interface is almost completely customizeable; you can hide things you never use and set up toolbars etc. so the things you use frequently are at your fingertips.

Reaper's flexibility is a double-edged sword...you can waste time tweaking it, but once you have it set you can save your settings to a file and import the same settings next time you install Reaper on a new computer.
Old 26th August 2019
Gear Addict

Their just tools, no one is saying you have to use them. Having another DAW isn’t going to magically remove all stock plugins and any provided content.
You are free to use as much or as little as you want
Old 28th August 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks everybody for the helpful inputs.

I'm following up on the possibilities you are suggesting:

- moving to ProTools (cons: $$$ / plugins compatibility / not ideal for MIDI programming and sequencing?)
- customising Logic interface and default template to avoid unnecessary distracting things (superfluous toyish track icons / buttons for recalling loops or browser, etc)
- moving to Reaper (cons: ugly default GUI – but customisable)

Surely not going on GarageBand as suggested, as it's way too limited for audio/MIDI routing and editing and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidlab View Post
Their just tools, no one is saying you have to use them. You are free to use as much or as little as you want
It's true, but it's more about a personal mental issue: I'm the kind of person who can't live or work in a "messy" or "uncontrolled" environment.
Old 28th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:

- moving to ProTools (cons: $$$ / plugins compatibility / not ideal for MIDI programming and sequencing?)
- customising Logic interface and default template to avoid unnecessary distracting things (superfluous toyish track icons / buttons for recalling loops or browser, etc)

Surely not going on GarageBand as suggested, as it's way too limited for audio/MIDI routing and editing and stuff.

It's true, but it's more about a personal mental issue: I'm the kind of person who can't live or work in a "messy" or "uncontrolled" environment.
Don't move to Pro Tools. The subscription plan is a huge waste of money. I still have my Pro Tools rig and an updated plan which costs me $399 annually and all we get is OS compatibility and a few tweaks and new features that are underwhelming. I'm close to selling my rig, but am waiting for Apogee to release an updated Ensemble with Thunderbolt 3. I'm hoping they get the latency down to HDX levels .7ms RTL.
Old 30th August 2019
Here for the gear

Why even move from Live? It is totally capable of linear workflow in Arrangement View.
Old 30th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:

I find this type of fault finding incredibly juvenile. As you said it’s your “PERSONAL MENTAL ISSUE”. That’s not the DAW. With a mindset like that, you’ll find every thing wrong with any bit of gear or software you suddenly deem ‘sub par’ for whatever reason you can find.
Old 30th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaq View Post
Why even move from Live? It is totally capable of linear workflow in Arrangement View.
Fabulous for MIDI stuff but limited for audio editing.. And lacks a proper mixer view!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidlab View Post
I find this type of fault finding incredibly juvenile. As you said it’s your “PERSONAL MENTAL ISSUE”. That’s not the DAW. With a mindset like that, you’ll find every thing wrong with any bit of gear or software you suddenly deem ‘sub par’ for whatever reason you can find.
Of course I am exaggerating a bit, and you're right. I'm working on my mindset, actually.
But the question was more "does it make sense to use Logic without touching at its bundled content?"
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
But the question was more "does it make sense to use Logic without touching at its bundled content?"
It makes sense as long as you like the way to work in it. People often say it's a bargain because of the quality of the bundled content. But don't be fooled by the 200$ price tag. Even without the fx and VI content, Logic is a deep DAW. Like most serious DAW in 2019, it has way more tools than you'll ever need to go from start to finish in an audio/midi project. Only you will know if you like the way it works.

KA
Old 30th August 2019
Here for the gear

Actually, it totally makes sense to use Logic without touching it's included content. And btw take a look at Studio One. No bloat, very intuitive and capable both in audio and midi.
Old 30th August 2019
Gear Maniac

I use logic much like a tape recorder. It’s very capable for that. I use plugins and the drummer sometimes, but have never used the loops.

I’m working with files from a pro studio at the moment, 65 tracks of audio, no loops no virtual instruments.

It’s a powerful DAW.
Old 30th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Just chiming in after peeking at this thread a few times. (I'm a longtime Logic-user with experience in other DAWs but always kept Logic as #1 .)

OP, I think your reasons for gravitating away from Ableton are sound, and I think avoiding ProTools makes a lot of sense too. If I were a commercial studio I would use ProTools, but since I'm a composer/arranger/musician first and engineer (distant) second, Logic is perfect for what I need. The bundled content is great, but the program is worth the one-time $200 cost without it. When I first got Logic over a decade ago I used the bundled content all the time since I didn't have any other plugins or a good tracking workflow for live instruments. Now I have many, many plugins and a great recording workflow, so I use Logic's native plugs less often. Sometimes not at all, on certain projects

The preferences are extremely tweakable and you'll be able to dial in your preferred workflow pretty quickly, save it as a template, and eliminate as much clutter as you want. Moreover, you can decline to download any of the loops or samples and save many GB of hard drive space. It will work great as an intuitive audio-editing DAW for you, and it will play nicely with whatever third-party AU plugins you already enjoy. The MIDI programming/editing is also fantastic, comparable to Ableton. For what you want, I think Logic is probably the ideal solution, and also the most affordable (besides Reaper, but I doubt that would be as enjoyable to work with, and the cost difference will be a distant memory in no time).

But for what it's worth: many of Logic's plugs are fantastic, high quality, resource-lean, effective tools. The channel EQ is great. The compressor is very useable. The various reverbs can be awesome (I mostly use Valhalla instead but I'm always impressed when I decide to play with a Logic verb, especially the new Chromaverb). I love the very simple and basic "overdrive" plugin. The new PhatFX and StepFX plugs were actually absorbed from Apple's purchase of Camel Audio, and they're still making amazing stuff, just for Apple instead of Camel. PhatFX in particular is insanely useful, especially on drums, in my experience. And, of course, Alchemy used to be a $400 soft synth on its own. If you already own a Mac, the value of Logic is insane for what you pay. But even without using any of those plugins, it's still better (for me) than any other DAW! It's the one I learned on, of course, and that influences my perspective, but I'm still very happy with it.
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

Don't knock GarageBand yet. If you are thinking about Logic, GB might give you an insight into a linear workflow before you fully make the move.

Great albums have been made using GB by Justice, Kendrick Lamar, etc.
Old 30th August 2019
Here for the gear

Thank you so much for all these great inputs and feedbacks.
I’m finally giving Logic a chance
I already love it.
Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear

If @ benjj you like Logic find YT vids by @ sflogicninja and @ KickinDaSpeaker

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search