The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MIDI Environement: Can Anyone Help Please? PLEASE?
Old 24th August 2019
Gear Nut

MIDI Environement: Can Anyone Help Please? PLEASE?

I am so angry. I've wasted so much time on this.

I have a Roland FA Keyboard.

I wanted to be able to pick the patches from Logic, like in programs that actually work like Cubase.

But unlike Cubase, you can't just load up a patch script and have all your patches.

And before you say it, no, I can't afford Cubase anymore.

I found a template online with a "MIDI Environment" for the FA.

I copied it, pasted it in, and it seemed to work fine.

I was able to make additional "instruments" to cover the extra banks I have.

Had to manually copy and paste all those names in. Not fun.

So everything seems to be working OK.

I set up 16 External Instrument Tracks and I can select sounds from Logic.

I had this problem earlier - Logic kept changing settings in the FA when I started it up - it was panning channel 1 all the way left.

I couldn't figure out why but finally saw a pan command in the menu so I deleted all the controller assignments in the whole thing and it seemed ok.

But now, I'm working last night and tonight, and I go to change a sound and it won't change to the right sound.

I figured out it's changing to only the 1st bank.

I'm powercycling, restarting, going back to the original template - which was the only way to get it to work again - until it stopped working again.

I finally figured out that the other MIDI Instruments - which have custom bank message - are now EMPTY. IT HAS DELETED ALL THE MSB/LSB/PC MESSAGES!!!!

ALL OF THEM.

How is this even possible?

I'll also look up and see that the punch in is on and all 16 tracks are selected and record enabled.

Haven't touched a thing.

The only thing I can figure is that that the keyboard is sending some kind of message that is causing Logic to make these changes.

Or Logic just sucks. Whichever.

I've turned off all the transmit stuff in the FA.

But I can't imagine there's a message coming from it that says "delete all the information within a MIDI Instrument.

But I can't imagine Logic would just do that (well, I do have it in me to imagine that Apple is doing something behind the scenes).

I just don't get it. I've worked with sequencing software forever and never had any kind of problem like this.

I gave up hoping for help long ago because it seems no one really understands this MIDI Environement thing.

But is some kind soul is able to help this poor soul, I would appreciate it.
Old 26th August 2019
Lives for gear

Do you have the midi monitor app? If not, it’s free. Very useful for tracking the comings and goings of midi data. I was having an issue where some of my instrument tracks were playing slightly out of tune. It was driving me nuts because I thought the clock on my interface was going bad. The monitor showed me my m-audio 88 was randomly sending out micro pitch bend data. I unplugged it and the problem went away. I digress. Sorry I can’t be more helpful with your specific problem.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search