The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Grouping Tracks (or Aux, VCA???)
Old 22nd August 2019
Gear Nut

Grouping Tracks (or Aux, VCA???)

Hello,

I have 16 Tracks that are External MIDI Instrument Tracks sending to a Roland FA-06.

I put them all in a "Track Stack" so I could "Expand/Collapse" the Folder to Show/Hide those 16 Tracks.

However, I wanted to "group" 5 of those tracks (say, a string orchestra) so I could adjust the volume of all 5 tracks at once, independent from the remaining 11 tracks.

It does not appear you can "nest" Stacked Tracks.

And it looks like "Flatten Track Stack" is simply fancy talk for "un-folderizing" that Stack (thanks aPpLe).

What I wanted to do was be able to drag 1 fader out of the group of 5 and have them all go up or down together. You know, like a "group" in that other program :-)

Or, at least have the equivalent to what would have been (and still sometimes is) a "Group Fader" on a traditional mixing console - I can set the relative volume between the 5 Tracks, and then use one "Subgroup" fader to adjust the volume of all of them together.

Maybe you can do this with Audio Tracks, but I can't figure out anyway to make it work for the MIDI Tracks.

And I don't want to commit them to Audio yet because I may want to change instrument sounds yet, or edit in the Piano Roll, and so on.

help? Please?
Old 22nd August 2019
Here for the gear

The group function is on the channel strip. Just select all the tracks you want, go to the group option a little above the pan knob on the channel strip of one of those tracks, and create a group.

Then if you move the volume of any of them, the others in the group will be effected. This even works within a track stack.
Old 22nd August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoryNotes View Post
The group function is on the channel strip. Just select all the tracks you want, go to the group option a little above the pan knob on the channel strip of one of those tracks, and create a group.

Then if you move the volume of any of them, the others in the group will be effected. This even works within a track stack.
Thanks but what I've discovered is, it doesn't work with External MIDI Instrument Tracks.

Works with Audio Tracks as expected. Haven't tried it on Software Instrument Tracks but I bet it does. But on External MIDI Instrument Tracks it does nothing.

I think I'm going to have to "un stack" the 16 MIDI Tracks, and then Track Stack them when I want to "group" them - because the Track Stack volume will work for those Channels/Tracks included in the Stack.

Then I'll have to find another way to Show/Hide the tracks.
Old 22nd August 2019
Here for the gear

That's unfortunate because I actually tested doing it on a set of 5 External Instrument plugin tracks within a track stack of eight tracks before I posted.

I was changing the volume on one of the five and it followed on the other 4.

Are you using the External Instrument plugin? If not, that might be an answer.
Old 4th September 2019
Gear Nut

Oddly enough, I was working with some tracks - 3 of them I "duplicated" and those would actually move together if selected. I haven't messed with it much more because it hasn't been a huge issue, but I'll experiment some more. It just seems inconsistent at best.

I've never seen any reason to use the External Instrument Plug In aside from it giving you the arpeggiator. Otherwise it's essentially an audio pass through track for the External Synth - and it doesn't make distinct tracks with channels - it's ALL audio coming out of your device, and for something with stereo outs only, it's not all that useful.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search