The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Exporting stems + effects
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Exporting stems + effects

Hi all,

So I made a movie soundtrack in Logic Pro X, but I'm kinda new with this workflow of exporting stems, as the director is asking for it.
He also asks for the bus effects (such as reverb and delay) the be on a separate physically bounced track (for 5.1 mix purposes)

So basically, when he will import my tracks, it should sound exactly the same as in my Logic session

So what I want to do:

- export certain groups of instruments together on 1 track (eg. all drums on 1 stereo track)
- export reverbs together
- export delays together

And what about EQ and compression that's on my masterfader? Will it be included in the stems automatically?

What's the best procedure to do this?

Thank you so much for your help!!
Michael
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I had a similar question I posted in the Music for Picture section. Stems and Mix Bus

The answer I got was that your stems will never equal the sum of your master bus.

Check the thread. Insightful info there.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I may disagree with "Stems + effects" will not equal the mix. Try this.
SAVE YOUR PROJECT! Maybe even save a copy.

1. Get your mix to where you want it. Save. Create a new alternative.
2. Select "Bounce and Replace All Tracks..." from the file menu. Make sure 'Bypass Effect Plug-ins' is not checked. Check (or not) 'Include Volume/Pan Automation' depending on your needs. If you include it (checked) all of the bounced tracks will be stereo.

3. Click OK. Wait a bit. All the tracks are replaced with effects burned in.

I have tracks for my reverb and delay effects. Those tracks get audio regions that are the reverb and delay.
I have Summing stacks for tracks - the tracks get the audio for the summed stack.

If I have "Folder Stacks" (I think of them as nicely placed VCA tracks) they get the audio for the tracks that are in the stack.

It's reasonably quick. See if you get what you need in the newly created audio. I have been pleased with the results. When I finish a project I create bounces for all the tracks so I don't have to worry about plugins going away, or changes to Logic.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks guys! Really helpful!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search