The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Considering X-touch One to use with Logic Pro X
Old 21st July 2019
Here for the gear

Considering X-touch One to use with Logic Pro X

Hi!
The X-Touch One seems to be something I would consider to use mostly with Logic Pro X and at times with Cubase and Reason.

One thing I can't find in the docs is how to perform some functions like UNDO, REDO and Save with this thing. Is there a way we can do these things with the X-Touch One?

Thanks!
Old 22nd July 2019
Gear Head

is created to control functions exactly of the channel. The functions that you mention are editing. Anyway, I imagine that you can change the controls manually. Why do you want to have control of undo and redo? The shortcut is quite simple! LOL.

Regards!

PS: in this video they explain some functions of this controller with LPX https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOHi26sqOks
Old 22nd July 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks for your answer.
Maybe the x-touch compact would a better choice then...
Old 23rd July 2019
Lives for gear
an X-Touch compact is *not* a good answer for Logic.

$300 is a lot of money, but adding the $300 to an X-Touch One gets you a X-Touch - a marvelous tool for working with Logic.
Old 23rd July 2019
Here for the gear

Ok, I'm gonna hold down and wait for an X - Touch then. Thanks for your advice!
Old 26th July 2019
Gear Maniac

So, my experience with the MCU would indicate that the X-Touch one is kind of perfect. I had (and have though I no longer use it) an MCU. Which, if you don't know it, is pretty much exactly a more expensive X-Touch. What I found was that I almost never used all 9 faders. For me, 8 channels were pretty much useless as it was too few to hold an entire mix and bank switching just led to too much time squinting at the MCU trying to figure out what was where. If I had 24 or more channels I might have made it work but 8 was not cutting it. Sometimes I would make 8 VCA's and lock those to the MCU so that it would be kind of useful for late stage mix tweaks but really it always ended up easier to use a trackpad to do my levels and pans on the screen. What I did use however, were the transport functions, the zoom functions and the jog wheel as well as using 1 fader to write automation. And that pretty much describes the X-Touch one. I don't know if I'll personally go for one as I have kind of made my peace with trackpad and keyboard in order to work comfortably in other rooms but if I do get another controller the X-Touch seems like my personal sweet spot.
Old 26th July 2019
Here for the gear

Excellent inputs Sir! Thankyou.

The X-Touch one might be just perfect for my needs in the end. I did owned an MCU many years ago and never used it that much because of the learning curve and finally sold it. But now I have more time to spend on learning a control surface and I also have way more know how with Logic.

But, a few days ago, I decided to take the time to setup some pots and switches on an Alesis VI61 to do pretty much what the X-Touch One can do: select a channel, control its level, pan, solo, mute, four send level and send on/off, toggle zoom, click on/off. Very efficient for tracking.

For mixing, I re-installed my Korg nanoKontrol2 that was collecting dust and to my surprise, it does what I need to do pretty quickly. And for shortcuts my iPad Logic Remote is very handy. I took also the time to setup a 16 channels Logic template. I do miss a real fader and a jog wheel but not that much, right now anyway.

So, now, I have a fast and functionnal setup! It's crazy to realize that often, we have all that we need, hanging around! All we have to do is take the time to learn how our things work!
Old 5th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratquebec View Post
Excellent inputs Sir! Thankyou.

The X-Touch one might be just perfect for my needs in the end. I did owned an MCU many years ago and never used it that much because of the learning curve and finally sold it. But now I have more time to spend on learning a control surface and I also have way more know how with Logic.
To be honest there isn't much of a learning curve with the X-Touch (or most other MCU devices). If you're an experienced Logic user, you should just find the only sections to learn are the automation modes, function button programming (which is the same as key commands) and the Global view. Unless also you want to use it for plugin control (which I don't recommend).

But other than that, it's kind of what it says on the tin or buttons, rotary controls and faders really.
Old 5th August 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks for your reply Sir. Ya I think the very first thing I tried to do with my Mackie then was to try control the different plugins parameters doing trials and errors without ever taking the time to RTFM ! Outch! Shame on me.

Back to the X-Touch, the X-Touch one, for simple selected channel strip operations seems very pleasant to use but rather limited. If only it could controle the sends...
So the X-Touch is still on my wish list. I can do a lot now with my iPad (logic remote)/nanoKontrol2/Alesis VI61 trio but an all in one solution would be better for sure.
Old 5th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratquebec View Post
Thanks for your reply Sir. Ya I think the very first thing I tried to do with my Mackie then was to try control the different plugins parameters doing trials and errors without ever taking the time to RTFM ! Outch! Shame on me.

Back to the X-Touch, the X-Touch one, for simple selected channel strip operations seems very pleasant to use but rather limited. If only it could controle the sends...
So the X-Touch is still on my wish list. I can do a lot now with my iPad (logic remote)/nanoKontrol2/Alesis VI61 trio but an all in one solution would be better for sure.
I've used a lot of MCU controllers and what they are best at is:
  • Quick, tactile fader, pan, mute and solo changes. Fast transport and navigational control over your session.
  • Breaks from the mouse and reducing the chances of RSI from long, repetitive periods of mouse work.

What they are worst at is;
  • Controlling plugins especially with a lot of controls or parameters - Too small displays, too many unintuitive button/knob presses to find parameters, parameters badly laid out etc. etc. By the time you found the parameter you want to tweak, you would have tweaked 5 settings with a mouse and moved on!
  • Controlling sends isn't as bad, but they're still too many unintuitive buttons a knob presses. Again much quicker with the mouse.
Old 5th August 2019
icw
Here for the gear

Sorry to back up here, but the X-Touch ONE seems to have conflicting reports on its ability to write automation. I'm in a similar situation in that I really don't need control over 24 tracks, but the one thing I'm keen on is having something tactile to write automation with (and not just volume automation). If I don't have to drop $400 on the full X-Touch, I wouldn't complain, tho by all accounts it's a pretty decent controller.

Can anyone confirm that the ONE will write (for example) wetDRY automation on a delay plugin? Or would the KORG nanoKontrol studio be better at that?

Thanks!!
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear
save up the $150 difference between the X-Touch One and the X-Touch - you will not be unhappy.
Old 6th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by icw View Post
Sorry to back up here, but the X-Touch ONE seems to have conflicting reports on its ability to write automation. I'm in a similar situation in that I really don't need control over 24 tracks, but the one thing I'm keen on is having something tactile to write automation with (and not just volume automation). If I don't have to drop $400 on the full X-Touch, I wouldn't complain, tho by all accounts it's a pretty decent controller.

Can anyone confirm that the ONE will write (for example) wetDRY automation on a delay plugin? Or would the KORG nanoKontrol studio be better at that?

Thanks!!
The X-Touch One, has no automation buttons, i.e you can't select automation modes (write, touch, latch etc.) from the One, but you can easily do that with the mouse of course. Or program some Function buttons to it.

It also has no button to assign the rotary encoder to plugin mode, or even assign it to control the send levels (and I don't think that is programmable). So, as far as I can tell, without doing some midi mapping (not sure whether that would worth it), you would only be able to easily write fader and pan automation. It's a little too dumbed down for writing other automation.

So for plugin automation, I'd agree with the post above, save up and get the X-Touch.
Old 6th August 2019
icw
Here for the gear

Awesome. Thx!
Old 7th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by facej View Post
save up the $150 difference between the X-Touch One and the X-Touch - you will not be unhappy.
Here in Canada, best price I found, in CDN dollars:
X-touch one :$265
X-touch : 645

Difference :380
Old 7th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by icw View Post

Thanks!!
In Logic pro, automation quick acces allows you to dedicate any external fader or knob to control the automation. I can do it with my nano but doing so I lose the use of a fader to control its track volume.

So instead, with Logic Pro AQA, you can assign a controller mod wheel to draw automation. All you have to do is disable the AQA (cmd+control+option +A toggles the AQA On/Off) )to give back to the mod wheel its usual function. It works wonderfuly well.
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear
Yes, it looks like you will have to come up with $300 US more for the X-Touch vs the X-Touch One - still worth saving your money until you can afford the tool that will do the best job for you. The X-Touch One price has dropped a lot
Old 7th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yes, it looks like you will have to come up with $300 US more for the X-Touch vs the X-Touch One - still worth saving your money until you can afford the tool that will do the best job for you. The X-Touch One price has dropped a lot
Yep. Agree! Still saving for the X-Touch. Presently googling the Nektar Panorama 1 which seems interesting too. Lots of option out there. Looking for the best LPX integration. I'm not in a hurry so I take my time. You guys here are very helpful . Thanks!
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear
With Logic Pro X integration being most important the definitive reference would be the Logic Pro X "Control Surfaces Support" manual.
For users of any control surface chapters 1, 2, and 3 are important to know.

Follow those chapters with the device specific chapters - in this case chapter 4 - "Mackie Control" - which the X-Touch emulates convincingly. The X-Touch also behaves better than any "real" Mackie Control that I have seen or used.

The other interesting chapter is "Euphonix devices" - essentially now Avid control surfaces and devices.

Me? Sticking with Mackie Control which behaves reasonably well in all my DAWs, and happily controls my Behringer digital mixer - XR18 - one button push swaps between mixer and Logic. Handy, handy, handy.
Old 7th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post

So for plugin automation, I'd agree with the post above, save up and get the X-Touch.
Yep, X-Touch One is no more on my list. Seems to work very well with logic and for the price I wouldn't complain but I need a more versatile solution. X-Touch still on the top.
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

Is there a consensus suggestion for plugin control? I'm willing to spend more as I am looking at the Presonus Faderport 8/16; even considered switching over the Studio One.

Man, I wish Logic would release a control surface.
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear
Logic *did* release a control surface - Logic Control - eons ago. It currently exists in the form of the Mackie Control Universal, and the Behringer clone - the X-Touch -

The Logic Control showed up on the market at almost the same time that Apple bought Emagic...

16 faders of Logic Control (X-Touch and X-Touch Extender) is less than $900 US
A "real" Mackie Control Universal is $1300 US.

Once I spent the time really learning what the MCU can do I was hooked - completely. Works so well...
Old 8th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
Is there a consensus suggestion for plugin control? I'm willing to spend more as I am looking at the Presonus Faderport 8/16; even considered switching over the Studio One.

Man, I wish Logic would release a control surface.
Arguably, Studio 1 and their FaderPort’s might be a better solution for plugin control, but Logic is the DAW that actually has the best overall coverage and most options for controllers. Also the deepest integration (outside the dedicated Pr Tools controllers). There would be no MCU protocol if Emagic (original developers of Logic) didn’t ask Mackie to make the Logic control, which spawned the MCU protocol. Mackie then made the MCU after the Emagic exclusivity deal ended.
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Head
Quote:

What they are worst at is;
  • Controlling plugins especially with a lot of controls or parameters - Too small displays, too many unintuitive button/knob presses to find parameters, parameters badly laid out etc. etc. By the time you found the parameter you want to tweak, you would have tweaked 5 settings with a mouse and moved on!
I sort of agree with this, but if you take the time to tweak the CSParameterOrder.plist files for your go to plugins you can get useful results with the xtouch.
Old 8th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocreeper View Post
I sort of agree with this, but if you take the time to tweak the CSParameterOrder.plist files for your go to plugins you can get useful results with the xtouch.
Can you briefly describe the benefits?
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Logic *did* release a control surface - Logic Control - eons ago. It currently exists in the form of the Mackie Control Universal, and the Behringer clone - the X-Touch -

The Logic Control showed up on the market at almost the same time that Apple bought Emagic...

16 faders of Logic Control (X-Touch and X-Touch Extender) is less than $900 US
A "real" Mackie Control Universal is $1300 US.

Once I spent the time really learning what the MCU can do I was hooked - completely. Works so well...
Quote:
Arguably, Studio 1 and their FaderPort’s might be a better solution for plugin control, but Logic is the DAW that actually has the best overall coverage and most options for controllers. Also the deepest integration (outside the dedicated Pr Tools controllers). There would be no MCU protocol if Emagic (original developers of Logic) didn’t ask Mackie to make the Logic control, which spawned the MCU protocol. Mackie then made the MCU after the Emagic exclusivity deal ended.
Thanks folks!

Off to watch some vids.
Old 8th August 2019
Just to add to my comments about Studio 1 and FaderPort. There is a feature in Studio 1 that lets you quickly map plugin controls to the rotary control on the Faderport. It looked pretty fast and intuitive and I think you can easily do it on the fly or maybe you just hover the mouse over the plugin parameter and the rotary control is instantly mapped or something like that. Maybe search YouTube for Faderport plugin control or something similar.
Old 8th August 2019
Quote:
Just to add to my comments about Studio 1 and FaderPort. There is a feature in Studio 1 that lets you quickly map plugin controls to the rotary control on the Faderport. It looked pretty fast and intuitive and I think you can easily do it on the fly or maybe you just hover the mouse over the plugin parameter and the rotary control is instantly mapped or something like that. Maybe search YouTube for Faderport plugin control or something similar.
Quoting myself......

Here’s on of the videos I saw this on. It’s a little different to how I described, but just as easy. https://youtu.be/E7ZuHWhoqik
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quoting myself......

Here’s on of the videos I saw this on. It’s a little different to how I described, but just as easy. https://youtu.be/E7ZuHWhoqik
This is what I’m looking for. Thanks!

I can’t seem to find a similar vid of Logic & Faderport. Do you know if the 3rd party plugin setup is similar?
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear
You can use Logic "Smart Controls" with the X-Touch - press SHIFT and INST - the display will read "SC" and the scribble-strips will read Param1 - Param8. You use the V-pots to adjust values, or press FLIP and use the faders to adjust values.

Basically 8 knobs/faders for parameter adjustment...

Works great for 3rd party plugins.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search