The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Considering X-touch One to use with Logic Pro X
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by facej View Post
You can use Logic "Smart Controls" with the X-Touch - press SHIFT and INST - the display will read "SC" and the scribble-strips will read Param1 - Param8. You use the V-pots to adjust values, or press FLIP and use the faders to adjust values.

Basically 8 knobs/faders for parameter adjustment...

Works great for 3rd party plugins.
Awesome, I didn't know that!
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
Can you briefly describe the benefits?

The default parameter orders didn't seem very sensible to me. I tend to rearrange them so they generally follow the left to right flow of the plug in, but group logically linked things together and skip things I'm not interested in / put them on later pages.

So my Logic EQ looks like

Page 1:
LoCutSlope LoCutFreq LoShelfGain LoShelfFreg HIShelfFreg HIShelfGain HICutFreq HICutSlope

Page 2:
Peak1Gain Peak1Freq Peak2Gain Peak2Freq Peak3Gain Peak3Freq Peak4Gain Peak4Freq

And Logic Compressor Page1:
Threshold Ratio Attack Release Gain AutoRelease Mix Knee

These just felt logical to me, I can't remember the orginal settings but they generally felt random.
Old 10th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocreeper View Post
The default parameter orders didn't seem very sensible to me. I tend to rearrange them so they generally follow the left to right flow of the plug in, but group logically linked things together and skip things I'm not interested in / put them on later pages.

So my Logic EQ looks like

Page 1:
LoCutSlope LoCutFreq LoShelfGain LoShelfFreg HIShelfFreg HIShelfGain HICutFreq HICutSlope

Page 2:
Peak1Gain Peak1Freq Peak2Gain Peak2Freq Peak3Gain Peak3Freq Peak4Gain Peak4Freq

And Logic Compressor Page1:
Threshold Ratio Attack Release Gain AutoRelease Mix Knee

These just felt logical to me, I can't remember the orginal settings but they generally felt random.
Thanks for taking the time to post that. That and the Smart Controls might cover off my main beef with using these types of controllers for plugin control. It was the seemingly randomness of the parameter layout.
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to post that. That and the Smart Controls might cover off my main beef with using these types of controllers for plugin control. It was the seemingly randomness of the parameter layout.
I'd have posted earlier, but I wanted to wait and take pictures.... then the scribble strips came up too bright for me to really use the photos!

One thing to be aware of is that, frustratingly, you sometimes seem to have to remap the controls separately for both mono and stereo instances of some plugins.
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I sort of agree with this, but if you take the time to tweak the CSParameterOrder.plist files for your go to plugins you can get useful results with the xtouch.
Dumb question #1 :

I can't find the file CSParameterOrder.plist

Where's it hidin'?

Many thanks,

bryan
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
You can use Logic "Smart Controls" with the X-Touch - press SHIFT and INST - the display will read "SC" and the scribble-strips will read Param1 - Param8. You use the V-pots to adjust values, or press FLIP and use the faders to adjust values.

Dumb question #2 :

I can only get this to bring up the first plugin on a track. Is it possible to get this to work for additional plugs on a given track?

Many thanks,

bryan
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsma View Post
Dumb question #1 :

I can't find the file CSParameterOrder.plist

Where's it hidin'?
Not a dumb question in the slightest - lots of useful info here:

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/v...ic.php?t=54956

In particular note that for stock plugins you've got to save a default settign in logic before the intial plist file is available.

Some other useful stuff is here:
https://help.apple.com/controlsurfac...#/ctls7222820e
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Dumb question #2 :

I can only get this to bring up the first plugin on a track. Is it possible to get this to work for additional plugs on a given track?
For this you want to be in Plug-in Channel View, rather than Plug-in mixer view. Excerpt from manual below.

Press the PLUG-IN button repeatedly to switch between Plug-in Mixer view and Plug-in Channel view. This view shows the plug-ins associated with all Insert slots for the selected channel.

In Plug-in Channel view:
  • The mode display shows the text “PL.”
  • The upper LCD row shows Ins1Pl through Ins8Pl.
  • The lower LCD row shows the plug-in that is currently selected for this Insert slot. Muted plug-ins are indicated by an asterisk (*).

Pressing a V-Pot button:
  • Activates the preselected plug-in (assuming that you’ve made your preselection by rotating the V-Pot).
  • Opens a plug-in window if none is open.
  • Switches to Plug-in Edit view.
Pressing a V-Pot button while the SHIFT button is held down mutes/unmutes the plug-in.
Old 12th August 2019
Here for the gear

Is there a complete X-Touch user guide available? All I can find is the 6 pages product information pdf.
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Not a dumb question in the slightest - lots of useful info here:

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/v...ic.php?t=54956

In particular note that for stock plugins you've got to save a default settign in logic before the intial plist file is available.

Some other useful stuff is here:
THIS. IS. AWESOME.

Thank you!

bryan
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
For this you want to be in Plug-in Channel View, rather than Plug-in mixer view. Excerpt from manual below.

Press the PLUG-IN button repeatedly to switch between Plug-in Mixer view and Plug-in Channel view. This view shows the plug-ins associated with all Insert slots for the selected channel.

In Plug-in Channel view:
  • The mode display shows the text “PL.”
  • The upper LCD row shows Ins1Pl through Ins8Pl.
  • The lower LCD row shows the plug-in that is currently selected for this Insert slot. Muted plug-ins are indicated by an asterisk (*).

Pressing a V-Pot button:
  • Activates the preselected plug-in (assuming that you’ve made your preselection by rotating the V-Pot).
  • Opens a plug-in window if none is open.
  • Switches to Plug-in Edit view.
Pressing a V-Pot button while the SHIFT button is held down mutes/unmutes the plug-in.
ALSO AWESOME.

Thank you!

bryan
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratquebec View Post
Is there a complete X-Touch user guide available? All I can find is the 6 pages product information pdf.
There's good info in the link astrocreeper posted above:

See if that answers some of your questions!

bryan
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear
Note that 'Smart Controls' can be assigned to any of the plugins. Open the Smart Controls window and click on the info button (tiny i, top left). Now you should be able to see where all the controls are mapped - Parameter Mapping - and also the External Assignments (the path to the controls on the MCU - extremely useful while investigating).

Note that any work you do with smart controls also helps if you use Logic Remote on an iPad...

Also note - as pointed to in earlier posts - the Control Surfaces Support manual is a "must read", and chapter 4 (usually) - the Mackie Control chapter - should be open in a window all the time ;-)
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear
Apple wrote that manual ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratquebec View Post
For all things Mackie Control on the X-Touch the 'Control Surfaces Support' manual is the best documentation there is. 99.9% applicable.

I don't miss the SMPTE/BEATS button to change display. It is overloaded to swap between MCU and XCTL modes on the controller allowing me to swap between my XR18 mixer and Logic - ideal tool for my little studio.
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Nut

Just FYI, for anyone looking to follow the instructions from the logicprohelp link above...

In order to find the CSParameterOrder.plist files, I first had to show hidden files on my Mac (CMD + SHIFT + .)

Then, I had to follow this path:

Macintosh HD: Users: (my user): Library (this was the folder that was hidden): Audio: Presets

Additionally, after I made changes to the CSParameterOrder.plist files, I would have to relaunch the Logic project (the instructions from the forum listed suggest all you have to do is relaunch the plug-in – that didn't work for me).

bryan
Old 12th August 2019
Quote:
Dumb question #2 :

Many thanks,

bryan
The navigation/zoom buttons (when you deselect the middle zoom button) allow you to move up and down a list of inserted plugins. Also, they allow you to bank left and right for any parameters that are not in the current 8 visible.
Old 13th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
The navigation/zoom buttons (when you deselect the middle zoom button) allow you to move up and down a list of inserted plugins. Also, they allow you to bank left and right for any parameters that are not in the current 8 visible.
I knew about bank left/right to view more parameters.

I did NOT know you could move up and down, scrolling visually (and showing the parameters) through the plug-ins.

Thanks for that tip!

bryan
Old 15th August 2019
Gear Head

w/LPX and/or PT

I'm bridging between PT and LPX.
How does this compare for soft buttons with the Avid Artist Control?
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:

Xtouch one?
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear
Not X-Touch One.
Old 14th September 2019
Gear Head

Hi,

I'm looking to get an affordable control surface compatible with Logic Pro X. Basically, what I want to do is just be able to control mainly the volume and pan controls of the tracks in Logic. Being able to assign individual plugin parameters like the output of a Reverb to a knob would be cool too. For space, can you recommend something that has 8 faders but you can like switch faders up so they can adjust the volume for up to 24 tracks? Similar to the way you can pitch up on a keyboard to get a higher octave if you see what I mean. Also, would a control surface give you more precision? Currently, I'm using a trackpad to mix in Logic which gets kinda arduous haha. Thanks. Neal.
Old 14th September 2019
Lives for gear
If you want 8 faders and Logic and don't like iPads...
then the X-Touch is the best choice in my opinion...
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

Nektar Panorama has excellent plugin control, although it does require paging, same as MCU...only 8 parameters available at a time, except for instruments which will have two EGs on the sliders and 8 more knobs available (often EG depth and so forth). Anything that can be automated can be controlled, which means some things can't be controlled. For instance, RetroSynth doesn't allow automating the waveform shape for some reason so it can't be controlled by Panorama either.

The Panorama keyboards have a button next to the motorized fader to select automation modes, the P1 has neither the fader or the buttons, though (also no pads, which can be used for markers on the keyboards). All the Logic native devices are premapped, third party devices get "auto" mapped...but there is a free editor that can be used to tweak those mappings in a more useful arrangement. Of course it supports Smart Controls. The screen clearly shows the current parameters and their values (a toggle switches between the fader mappings and the encoder mappings).

It's not perfect but is cheaper than MCU or X-Touch.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thanks. I went ahead and got the X-Touch one. I'm just having an issue with it. When I adjust the fader, only the first channel volume is changed. This occurs even when I have selected another track. So for example, I could select channel 8 and adjust the fader but still only channel 1 volume changes. I have set up the X Touch One via the instruction youtube video by Behringer, but still no luck. Do you know what could be the issue?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I updated firmware 1.07 no problems after that, iMac 14,1 Mojave 10.14.6
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The default parameter orders didn't seem very sensible to me. I can't remember the orginal settings but they generally felt random.
They are random. Things that belong on buttons end up on faders and vice versa. Open up the plist files and you can see there is no rhyme or reason to the order.

It's not just Logic and AU pliugins that have this problem, I first saw it with Ableton Live, which can display a plugin's parameter list on-screen. Oddly enough the same plugin in VST version loaded into Live had a different parameter order than the AU version!

The parameters are only there to support automation and manual MIDI mapping. Any parameter not found in the list cannot be automated...waveform shape in RetroSynth, for instance.

There is nothing in the VST or AU protocols requiring parameters to be in a specific order. Nothing in NI's NKS protocol either.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search