The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Uad Apollo workflow with Logic
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear

Uad Apollo workflow with Logic

Hi folks,
I'm currently using logic x with a digital mixing console (dm3200) With a bunch of external pre amps and compressors. I use uad plug-ins daily and am considering switching to an Apollo interface for the ability to low latency record with effects. I would usually not be printing the effects as I am tracking. I have a few workflow questions.

1)How do you punch in while hearing uad efx? I have seen some complicated solutions like creating duplicate copies of the efx on logic busses, or creating separate tracks for punches. Is there no way to simply hear the efx in logic on playback and then do a punch.

2)Do you guys just use console for tracking and then load uad plugins directly in logic for mixing? Kind of related to first question.

3)Any other latency/delay compensation issues I should be worried about.

Thanks in advance!
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
1)How do you punch in while hearing uad efx? I have seen some complicated solutions like creating duplicate copies of the efx on logic busses, or creating separate tracks for punches. Is there no way to simply hear the efx in logic on playback and then do a punch.

2)Do you guys just use console for tracking and then load uad plugins directly in logic for mixing? Kind of related to first question.

3)Any other latency/delay compensation issues I should be worried about.

Thanks in advance!
1) you have to disable Software monitoring from logic and route back audio from logic to UAD console via virtual drivers.

2) that's the use of UAD console!

3) I own 3 apollo (1 Apollo 16, 2 Apollo 8) all linked together via thunderbolt on the latest OS (Mojave) with Logic 10.4.5. Everything works great
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Trecarichi View Post
1) you have to disable Software monitoring from logic and route back audio from logic to UAD console via virtual drivers.
I think I understand the routing for tracking, but there seems to be an issue of not being able to hear the efx on the track when you go to punch-in an overdub. My understanding is that the playback from the host doesn't route through the console input channel, so you hear the dry playback and then when you punch you hear the console input channel with efx. Is this not your experience?

Just trying to figure out if this will be a functional workflow for me. The other thing I am considering is just adding an apollo duo to my existing digital mixer. This would allow me to have hardware control and track through plug-ins when needed for vox or guitars.
Old 5th July 2019
Quote:
I think I understand the routing for tracking, but there seems to be an issue of not being able to hear the efx on the track when you go to punch-in an overdub. My understanding is that the playback from the host doesn't route through the console input channel, so you hear the dry playback and then when you punch you hear the console input channel with efx. Is this not your experience?

Just trying to figure out if this will be a functional workflow for me. The other thing I am considering is just adding an apollo duo to my existing digital mixer. This would allow me to have hardware control and track through plug-ins when needed for vox or guitars.
I don't get what you asking here. You should hear everything that's being played back. Are you saying that you're not if you put the track into record in Logic?
Old 8th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
I don't get what you asking here. You should hear everything that's being played back. Are you saying that you're not if you put the track into record in Logic?
I have read that it is tricky to punch-in with while hearing uad plug-ins as described in this article:
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/log...ng-logic-pro-x

"A problem arises when you want to punch in. The audio played back from Logic during the pre-roll will be dry. Here I’ll look at a workflow that involves enabling Logic’s software monitoring while also monitoring directly from the Apollo.

By enabling Logic’s “Independent monitoring level for record-enabled channel strips” preference, the output level of the record enabled channel strip can be pulled down completely while retaining a separate level when in playback mode. Working this way allows for the possibility of using pre-fader sends within Logic Pro X to monitor through software reverb."

Wondering if this is a common workflow. Or do you just copy the same uad plug-in on the logic channel strip for playback/punch monitoring?
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Addict

I've read the attached article and I can say that I still don't understand the comment totally. I admit, I can be dense sometimes when people explain things I have not experienced before.

I have done punch ins when either monitoring directly through Apollo (the recommended UA way) and when bypassing Apollo and monitoring through Logic (the traditional interface way). I didn't experience too many issues with either if I tried to print with effects. This really just means turning a mute on in one software or the other.

Loading UAD plugins in Logic for tracking really isn't a huge deal if it isn't a large number of tracks.

As you probably know, in Apollo you can either set effects to monitor only or to print. (And if I remember correctly, you can swing Logic to do the same.) I don't typically try to print reverbs, delays, or modulation when tracking through Apollo, but if I do, I often use them on an Aux in console, sending signal pre fader and creating a separate track in Logic. That just makes it easier later if I don't like the effect settings.

I guess if I'm doing some guitar solos through a UAD amp sim I might track with delay or chorus, but that's when it's built into the plugin. Never caused an issue punching in.
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
I guess if I'm doing some guitar solos through a UAD amp sim I might track with delay or chorus, but that's when it's built into the plugin. Never caused an issue punching in.
well in this scenario the amp would be on a console channel. When you go to punch in over another take you would just hear dry guitar. If this has not been a noticeable issue, then maybe it's not an issue at all depending on your method.

I like to punch on the fly, because I find the logic autopunch implementation to be cumbersome. Either way, it sounds like copying the console plug-ins to each logic channel strip would resolve the issue. Not a big deal. And I did see that you can copy plug-in settings from console directly to aud instances in logic.
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
well in this scenario the amp would be on a console channel. When you go to punch in over another take you would just hear dry guitar. If this has not been a noticeable issue, then maybe it's not an issue at all depending on your method.

I like to punch on the fly, because I find the logic autopunch implementation to be cumbersome. Either way, it sounds like copying the console plug-ins to each logic channel strip would resolve the issue. Not a big deal. And I did see that you can copy plug-in settings from console directly to aud instances in logic.
I'm hearing (monitoring) the amp's sound in the Console channel, but I've also got Logic up in a virtual channel, so whatever wet sound was recorded previously is in my ear.
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Are you using them in the Unison slot? If you want no latency with effects you either need to use the unison slot, or there is also an Aux send that you can add effects to coupled with a record or monitor feature. You can commit dry or with effects that way, while still hearing them. Not sure if that is what you are looking for.
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobian View Post
Are you using them in the Unison slot? If you want no latency with effects you either need to use the unison slot, or there is also an Aux send that you can add effects to coupled with a record or monitor feature. You can commit dry or with effects that way, while still hearing them. Not sure if that is what you are looking for.
Yes, Sounds like it's not a big workflow issue. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search