The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help? Multi-track vocal management with Melodyne
Old 10th June 2019
Gear Head

Help? Multi-track vocal management with Melodyne

I'm about to embark on a demo recording with myself rapping, speaking and singing about 8-10 different characters (electronic musical theatre)

I will want to apply Melodyne on most of the tracks, for pitch correction on the singing, pitch shifting to create vocal harmonies, timing correction for the rapping, and using forments to help create distinct characters for the spoken parts.

Here is my question: the song has many different sections, it's about 7 minutes long. If I create a single track for each character, and "Punch In" multiple takes to then comp from for each section, is that going to cause me any problems using Melodyne? I'm thinking of using the method outlined by Steve GS below.

Would it be better to create a unique track for each section of the song, and then merge them by character afterwards?

Any other feedback or suggestions for organizing this recording are greatly apprectiated.
Please forgive if this sounds Noobish, I am a Noob in the sense that I am mostly a writer who only records a single demo every 4-6 months.
Thanks!
Moosebear

(Below is Steve GS's workaround for Melodyne)

...well, FWIW, here's what has been working for me for several months now without loss...so a Disclaimer: Everything that follows is trial-and-error-anecdotal-evidence. I have no working knowledge of any of the internal operations of either program's code...just a desperate need to get on with my work...

1/ upon project open, run "play," exactly as Celemony advises, to reload the Melodyne information, do this every time without fail, don't ever forget this step......
2/ immediately run "save," just in case
3/ place Melodyne.ARA on the track and edit away...enjoy the moment
4/ then "freeze" the track
5/ then "lock" the track
........these two seem to be the magic key.....
6/ run "save" before every project "close," saving from inside the "close" option as it's doubts

...the "freeze" option has the added advantage of reducing the track to simple audio playback saving any cpu overhead. If there are changes needed later I "unlock" and "unfreeze" and am back to where I was with all of the Melodyne edits in place. Then run steps 4/5/6 without fail!...or...I don't know how or why this sequence works, I'm just grateful it does...hth.../s~
Old 10th June 2019
Gear Maniac

...well, fwiw...I've done compositions with six vox tracks, two as lead doubled, and the rest BV's. The vox tracks are not continuous, but with parts coming and going depending on the arrangement. This includes parts added much later by the composer/etc. Since you are using M.ARA you can do pretty much whatever you like/need, and Melodyne will follow along. It's taken me some "careful" getting used it, but it does seem to work ok. This particular composition also has nearly a dozen other guitar/base tracks under M.ARA as well. All of this is the result of overdubbing an older live performance. You'll have to discover the best workflow for you on your project...hth.../s~
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Head

Thanks for this, Steve, I guess I'll just go for it in 8 tracks. I will report back on how your Melodyne workaround works for me too.

I'm very excited to try editing some subtleties of timing on rapping, I've not done much of that before with Melodyne, I've mostly done pitch-related work. Celemony has some great videos explaining how to do this.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search