The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Parallel compression phase issue
Old 4th June 2019
Gear Nut

Parallel compression phase issue

Hi All,

I’m still getting my feet wet getting back into logic after a long hiatus and could use some help on a mixing/phase issue. I was mixing a 909 style beat, sending to an aux for reverb, and another aux for parallel compression. Had UAD oxide on the main channel, a UAD Lex 224 for the verb send and a UAD 1176 for the parallel compression track. Life was good. I added a logic pultec emulation after the 1176 to bring some bottom end back in and immediately got bad phasing issue. Any thoughts on what I’m doing wrong from a routing perspective, order of plugins, delay compensation, etc?
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Nut

Well I found a solution anyhow. I downloaded a demo of Waves’ InPhase plugin and man, that thing is brilliant. After 5 minutes I was convinced that it is an absolute steal for the $25 it costs on sale right now. I didn’t want to get the UAD little lab and just eat us DSP on a utility issue, and the InPhase takes out all the guess work of the LittleLabs or the manual nudging in logic.

Still don’t recall having an EQ throw a parallel track that far out of phase before, especially when the UAD compressor didn’t mangle the phase at all really.
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Addict

Some EQs will do that, depending on what's under the hood. I'm a bit surprised Logic doesn't compensate properly for its own stock plug. I think the logic Pultec is a convolution based plug which incurs a large amount of latency. If you tried using the channel EQ especially with oversampling off (find that in the drop down extra options) you shouldn't run into any issues, I assume.
Old 9th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bc View Post
Well I found a solution anyhow. I downloaded a demo of Waves’ InPhase plugin and man, that thing is brilliant. After 5 minutes I was convinced that it is an absolute steal for the $25 it costs on sale right now. I didn’t want to get the UAD little lab and just eat us DSP on a utility issue, and the InPhase takes out all the guess work of the LittleLabs or the manual nudging in logic.

Still don’t recall having an EQ throw a parallel track that far out of phase before, especially when the UAD compressor didn’t mangle the phase at all really.
if you toss the SAME plugin on all the channels and just mute the one you do not Need, does Logic compensate correctly ??
Old 9th June 2019
Gear Addict

set delay compensation to "all" and push stop and play

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search