The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
10.4 has made tracking impossible, please help.
Old 1 week ago
10.4 has made tracking impossible, please help.

I'm having serious MIDI related external audio recording problems, since upgrading, and would really appreciate any help.
Gone through loads of settings etc.
I can only playback a MIDI sequence to external synths when it is the only thing playing.
Recorded MIDI dragged into external MIDI channel in Logic plays fine on it's own, no latency etc..
The second I have an audio channel to record to it all goes wrong.
It even goes wrong if I click on the metronome.
Slurred notes, missed notes, stuck notes, and absolute mess.
Playing a MIDI keyboard on that channel all fine, no latency.

MIDI channels sequencing sampled one shots inside maschine in Logic all fine.
Maschine playing same MIDI files inside Maschine on it's own outside of Logic all fine, so it isn't a hardware issue.

I've gone through seemingly every setting, I'm hoping there's something simple I've missed or silly I've done.

This is sending me nuts, 2 sessions ruined and can't see what else I can do.

New 6 core Mac Mini 1TB, 16GB, Mojave 10.4.5
Logic 10.4
Old 1 week ago
Any ideas?
Old 1 week ago
No real ideas, but check the environment to see how the routing is actually going. MIDI Thru issues? Audio buffer issues? What does the CPU meter say? Are you using an aggregate audio device? It's kind of hard to say with so little info. Maybe take a video to show what happens.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Are you using a template?
I’ve had some problems with using some older templates in updated versions of logic that have made things wonky.
Might check some of the external midi settings in the preferences, which may have been changed somehow during an update.
Also, playing around with the sample rate, and buffer settings could possibly help.

Just some random guesses that have helped me out at different times.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonljacobi View Post
No real ideas, but check the environment to see how the routing is actually going. MIDI Thru issues? Audio buffer issues? What does the CPU meter say? Are you using an aggregate audio device? It's kind of hard to say with so little info. Maybe take a video to show what happens.
Thanks for you input.
Checked and gone through all options re buffer sizes etc.
Haven't checked environment, but will.
Using Focusrite pro 14 Firwire 4 inputs from mixer 2 outputs to monitors.
Yes, I won't get into the studio ow until Wed or Thur, but yes, I think I'll do some vids to help explain.

Many thanks.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz View Post
Are you using a template?
I’ve had some problems with using some older templates in updated versions of logic that have made things wonky.
Might check some of the external midi settings in the preferences, which may have been changed somehow during an update.
Also, playing around with the sample rate, and buffer settings could possibly help.

Just some random guesses that have helped me out at different times.
Thanks Tnevs.
Yeah, gone through all setting best I can.
No, blank project from no template.
Even new clean project with just one MIDI track to eliminate stuff.
Play fine, but as soon as open Audio track to record goes crazy.
I'll do some vids in the week to give clearer picture.

Thanks.
Old 2 days ago
OK, I've tried to add a vid to highlight one of the problems, but can't attach it.
Anyway, basically;

Brand new track, no plugins etc.
MIDI Track plays fine, external MIDI track, going out to synth.
The minute I arm an audio track to record it goes haywire.
Will only play if the MIDI track is clicked on, highlighted.

Another problem is if I open edit window it will only show the MIDI for one arbitrary track.
If I select another MIDI track click edit it still only shows the other MIDI track.

What on earth is going on?
Logic is now totally useless for me!
Old 2 days ago
Jeeeez!!!!!!
2.5 hrs on the phone to Apple.
Then uninstall, reinstall Logic.
Still the same!
With MIDI channel clicked/highlighted all good, plays external synth fine.
The minute I click on an audio track it goes nuts.
What on earth is wrong?
Any help, advise at all would be sincerely appreciated.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict
You need to find someone using Maschine with Logic and share your project with them.
Virtually impossible to debug problems with 3rd party instruments, differing Logic versions, and no easy way to succinctly reproduce the problem.

You could share your project and let people look at it, might shed some light, but again, 3rd party makes life a bit impenetrable
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by facej View Post
You need to find someone using Maschine with Logic and share your project with them.
Virtually impossible to debug problems with 3rd party instruments, differing Logic versions, and no easy way to succinctly reproduce the problem.
Thanks Facej, but I don't think it's anything to do with Maschine.
If I start a brand new project, go to an old project, with or without Maschine, it's all the same.

It's an audio MIDI problem of some weird sort.
MIDI plays fine, if you're clicked/highlighted on that track, whether it's a tiny new project or a project full of audio/MIDI.

As soon as you click on another track the MIDI playback goes nuts.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict
I can't make that happen.
MIDI track 1 - built-in Logic bass guitar
MIDI track 2 - external to synth, same data
AUDIO track 1 - record enabled

Click record button, 2 MIDI tracks are playing, AUDIO is recording

I can click all around the interface, look at menus, general stuff. Recording is fine.

Stop, rewind, playback. All is fine, well, the 30ms delay on the audio track is a bit interesting...have to figure that out.

I did get some freakish behavior after nudging audio back and forth - playback of everything got wonky. Did a "save as" and that wonkiness went away.

I noticed some odd HD activity - high - while working the audio, but I do have my test project on my Fusion drive, so spinning disk and other system activity certainly could have interfered.

"Focusrite pro 14 Firwire 4 inputs from mixer 2 outputs to monitors" - I'm going to bet you are having issues with the Focusrite drivers. All of my MIDI gear is core compliant, so no drivers involved...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search