The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
10.4 has made tracking impossible, please help.
Old 17th May 2019
10.4 has made tracking impossible, please help.

I'm having serious MIDI related external audio recording problems, since upgrading, and would really appreciate any help.
Gone through loads of settings etc.
I can only playback a MIDI sequence to external synths when it is the only thing playing.
Recorded MIDI dragged into external MIDI channel in Logic plays fine on it's own, no latency etc..
The second I have an audio channel to record to it all goes wrong.
It even goes wrong if I click on the metronome.
Slurred notes, missed notes, stuck notes, and absolute mess.
Playing a MIDI keyboard on that channel all fine, no latency.

MIDI channels sequencing sampled one shots inside maschine in Logic all fine.
Maschine playing same MIDI files inside Maschine on it's own outside of Logic all fine, so it isn't a hardware issue.

I've gone through seemingly every setting, I'm hoping there's something simple I've missed or silly I've done.

This is sending me nuts, 2 sessions ruined and can't see what else I can do.

New 6 core Mac Mini 1TB, 16GB, Mojave 10.4.5
Logic 10.4
Old 17th May 2019
Any ideas?
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Maniac
No real ideas, but check the environment to see how the routing is actually going. MIDI Thru issues? Audio buffer issues? What does the CPU meter say? Are you using an aggregate audio device? It's kind of hard to say with so little info. Maybe take a video to show what happens.
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Are you using a template?
I’ve had some problems with using some older templates in updated versions of logic that have made things wonky.
Might check some of the external midi settings in the preferences, which may have been changed somehow during an update.
Also, playing around with the sample rate, and buffer settings could possibly help.

Just some random guesses that have helped me out at different times.
Old 20th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonljacobi View Post
No real ideas, but check the environment to see how the routing is actually going. MIDI Thru issues? Audio buffer issues? What does the CPU meter say? Are you using an aggregate audio device? It's kind of hard to say with so little info. Maybe take a video to show what happens.
Thanks for you input.
Checked and gone through all options re buffer sizes etc.
Haven't checked environment, but will.
Using Focusrite pro 14 Firwire 4 inputs from mixer 2 outputs to monitors.
Yes, I won't get into the studio ow until Wed or Thur, but yes, I think I'll do some vids to help explain.

Many thanks.
Old 20th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz View Post
Are you using a template?
I’ve had some problems with using some older templates in updated versions of logic that have made things wonky.
Might check some of the external midi settings in the preferences, which may have been changed somehow during an update.
Also, playing around with the sample rate, and buffer settings could possibly help.

Just some random guesses that have helped me out at different times.
Thanks Tnevs.
Yeah, gone through all setting best I can.
No, blank project from no template.
Even new clean project with just one MIDI track to eliminate stuff.
Play fine, but as soon as open Audio track to record goes crazy.
I'll do some vids in the week to give clearer picture.

Thanks.
Old 23rd May 2019
OK, I've tried to add a vid to highlight one of the problems, but can't attach it.
Anyway, basically;

Brand new track, no plugins etc.
MIDI Track plays fine, external MIDI track, going out to synth.
The minute I arm an audio track to record it goes haywire.
Will only play if the MIDI track is clicked on, highlighted.

Another problem is if I open edit window it will only show the MIDI for one arbitrary track.
If I select another MIDI track click edit it still only shows the other MIDI track.

What on earth is going on?
Logic is now totally useless for me!
Old 23rd May 2019
Jeeeez!!!!!!
2.5 hrs on the phone to Apple.
Then uninstall, reinstall Logic.
Still the same!
With MIDI channel clicked/highlighted all good, plays external synth fine.
The minute I click on an audio track it goes nuts.
What on earth is wrong?
Any help, advise at all would be sincerely appreciated.
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear
You need to find someone using Maschine with Logic and share your project with them.
Virtually impossible to debug problems with 3rd party instruments, differing Logic versions, and no easy way to succinctly reproduce the problem.

You could share your project and let people look at it, might shed some light, but again, 3rd party makes life a bit impenetrable
Old 24th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by facej View Post
You need to find someone using Maschine with Logic and share your project with them.
Virtually impossible to debug problems with 3rd party instruments, differing Logic versions, and no easy way to succinctly reproduce the problem.
Thanks Facej, but I don't think it's anything to do with Maschine.
If I start a brand new project, go to an old project, with or without Maschine, it's all the same.

It's an audio MIDI problem of some weird sort.
MIDI plays fine, if you're clicked/highlighted on that track, whether it's a tiny new project or a project full of audio/MIDI.

As soon as you click on another track the MIDI playback goes nuts.
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear
I can't make that happen.
MIDI track 1 - built-in Logic bass guitar
MIDI track 2 - external to synth, same data
AUDIO track 1 - record enabled

Click record button, 2 MIDI tracks are playing, AUDIO is recording

I can click all around the interface, look at menus, general stuff. Recording is fine.

Stop, rewind, playback. All is fine, well, the 30ms delay on the audio track is a bit interesting...have to figure that out.

I did get some freakish behavior after nudging audio back and forth - playback of everything got wonky. Did a "save as" and that wonkiness went away.

I noticed some odd HD activity - high - while working the audio, but I do have my test project on my Fusion drive, so spinning disk and other system activity certainly could have interfered.

"Focusrite pro 14 Firwire 4 inputs from mixer 2 outputs to monitors" - I'm going to bet you are having issues with the Focusrite drivers. All of my MIDI gear is core compliant, so no drivers involved...
Old 29th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by facej View Post
I can't make that happen.

"Focusrite pro 14 Firwire 4 inputs from mixer 2 outputs to monitors" - I'm going to bet you are having issues with the Focusrite drivers. All of my MIDI gear is core compliant, so no drivers involved...
Thanks for trying.
This is so annoying.
All I'm trying to do is use logic how I've been using it for years.

There's a chance it could be the Focusrite with Mojave.
I had security issues etc with the soundcard setting it up with new computer, as well as an absolute nightmare with my Waves plugins.

This has made my studio pretty much unusable now, and I have a remix just come in I can't even start on unless I go completely in the box!
Old 29th May 2019
Gear Nut

A shot in the dark. In case it's a Mojave Microphone permissions thing:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209175
Old 30th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by howseth View Post
A shot in the dark. In case it's a Mojave Microphone permissions thing:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209175
Thanks for you help Howseth.
I will check tonight, but I’m 99% certain it isn’t that.

I can actually record it fine.
It’s just that the MIDI channel has to be checked/highlighted.
That makes arranging, editing or anything else impossible, as as soon as you click out of that MIDI channel it’s stuck notes etc.
Old 30th May 2019
Here for the gear

some other things to try...

1. Download a trial copy of Reaper, Studio1, or even just Garageband, and see if your interface works ok with them. Remove the interface as default audio device, and try recording and playing in Logic with just the built in audio from the 1/8 jacks. Get a cheap Audio USB interface (Behringer etc.) See if it still does it with Logic. I use an old Duet FW and have noticed it's getting unreliable on my Studio mac mini w High Sierra. I have Mojave on my Macbook w the USB Scarlett. Runs great.

2. Get a copy of ONYX https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html
And repair permissions. I know Apple claims this has become unnecessary, and it's not even an option anymore in Disk utility. I started having weird issues after upgrading Logic and also moving my content to an external HD . Repairing Permissions fixed it. Also worth running Disk Utility and performing first aid on your recording and main drive. Check available memory on your audio drive.

3. How recently did you install the upgrade? One weird thing: if you try using upgraded Logic and it hasn't finished downloading all the loop content, it can make Logic slow, sluggish, and do weird things everytime you run it until all the content is fully downloaded. Worth a shot to to pause it.

4. Visit: https://www.logicprohelp.com David and Company are real experts and probably better able to help.

5. Double check routings to the way your interface appears for inputs and outputs. Run the Focusrite app for the interface and be sure it's configured for correct sample rate etc and Mojave hasn't done something weird.. Also check OSX audio settings, that the interface is showing up correctly, and/or duplicated.

Check your plugins on your Master buss, or if you have a default channel strip. I had a bizarre issue with the IK Multimedia Stealth Limiter which used to be on some of my older templates. It was constantly crashing Logic 10.4. Check your plugins for any disabled plugs- update any 3rd party ones.

Good luck!! let us know how you make out
Old 30th May 2019
Thanks for this Chris, looks like some solid stuff to have a go at here.

I have got Mixbus which I never use, I'll have a go at a quick project with MIDI in that to see.

3. How recently did you install the upgrade? One weird thing: if you try using upgraded Logic and it hasn't finished downloading all the loop content, it can make Logic slow, sluggish, and do weird things everytime you run it until all the content is fully downloaded. Worth a shot to to pause it.

Upgraded to 10.4 a couple of months ago and then the very latest last week.
I have a hunch I may of stopped some loop updates as I never use the bloody things and would rather not have then taking up the HD space.

4. Visit: https://www.logicprohelp.com David and Company are real experts and probably better able to help.

I have a post on there, and just had some advise re the environment.
I have never altered the environment as it's always done what I need without doing anything in it.
I will have a look.

Check your plugins on your Master buss,
Even does it with a fresh project one MIDI channel one audio channel no plugins anywhere.

Good luck!! let us know how you make out[/QUOTE]

Thanks, heading down there in a mo, so fingers crossed, and I can actually make some music again.
Old 30th May 2019
Here for the gear

You bet- Yeah the environment is like using Terminal to me- I can get around it if I have to paste code in. But I'm just a drooling musician who'd rather deal with music than the deeper dark workings of Logic.

Hopefully your situation will be something simple. Cheers-
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear

Is there an update for your audio interface?
Have you checked forums for focurite to see if anyone else is having a similar problems?
It does sound like a driver problem since you mentioned your focusrite, and it sounds like other people don’t seem to be having the same issue
Old 4th June 2019
Quote:
Is there an update for your audio interface?
Have you checked forums for focurite to see if anyone else is having a similar problems?
It does sound like a driver problem since you mentioned your focusrite, and it sounds like other people don’t seem to be having the same issue
I now think it's soundcard related, but only in Logic.
If I play exactly same tracks, channels going out to same synths using Maschine as the sequencer all fine, so isn't a soundcard Mojave problem, seems to be a a soundcard in Logic problem.
Old 4th June 2019
UPDATE!

I tried various recommended things, and again trawled through various settings, but still no luck.

One simple thing though has made things work.

I unplugged the MIDI out from my Pro 14 and plugged it into the MIDI out of my Maschine.
All works fine!
Maschine not on, just simply using the MIDI port.
The Safire Pro 14 is still taking the audio ins and outs, but simply changing the MIDI out works.

It's not a physical problem with the MIDI port as everything is tight from the pro 14 when outside of logic or track clicked inside logic.

This is so bloody odd.
I will get to the bottom of it, but at least now I have a simple workaround to be able to user my studio again.
Old 4th June 2019
Lives for gear

That’s the way to trouble shoot right there!
Definitely sounds like it’s some kind of a driver issue with the pro 14 for logic.
I would contact focusrite.
Old 5th June 2019
Quote:
That’s the way to trouble shoot right there!

Yes, of course it's something simple I should have tried straight away, but when the same set up is playing fine in all other ways you focus on the problem coming from the thing that's directly playing up.

Definitely sounds like it’s some kind of a driver issue with the pro 14 for logic.
I would contact focusrite.
Drivers are up to date, and have been told all compatible by Focusrite and Apple, but yes I agree, now I think this is a software bug thing directly related the pro 14 use in Logic.
Old 7th June 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Fan View Post
Drivers are up to date, and have been told all compatible by Focusrite and Apple, but yes I agree, now I think this is a software bug thing directly related the pro 14 use in Logic.
Interesting. I have similar issues (latency, inaccurate timing, overcompensated plugin delay when recording external synths), using a Focusrite 18i20 for audio. But for Midi I use an emagic amt8. Running latest LPX and Mojave.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search