The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Loading/Using third-party drum kit samples
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Loading/Using third-party drum kit samples

I just downloaded a bunch of wav on-shot multisampled drum kit packs (tea towel drums, etc) but I'm kind of clueless how to set them up in a usable midi kit in Logic. I'm sure I could figure out how to drag-n-drop the main hits into ESX24 or something, but more importantly how do I set it up so the ambient/bleed/leakage wavs play on a "bleed" track simultaneously/when appropriate, for example?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambo! View Post
I just downloaded a bunch of wav on-shot multisampled drum kit packs (tea towel drums, etc) but I'm kind of clueless how to set them up in a usable midi kit in Logic. I'm sure I could figure out how to drag-n-drop the main hits into ESX24 or something, but more importantly how do I set it up so the ambient/bleed/leakage wavs play on a "bleed" track simultaneously/when appropriate, for example?
I’m assuming you have PTFS Tea Towel Kit! EXS24 or Alchemy are not Muli-Timbral, PTFS makes use of NI’s multi-Timbral aspect to get out of making a dedicated interface!

A way to do it in Logic would be to put the dry multi samples in one EXS24, set the velocities for each hit by your own feel when you hit your keyboard! On another EXS24 map your reverb/ambience to the same keys as the hits example C1 Kick EXS24 One, on EXS24 Two on C1 put the reverb! Put both EXS24’s in a track stack and they will trigger together and save it as a user preset! Hope that helps and makes sense!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Oh that makes sense! I'll give that a whirl. Thanks much!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Actually, I started dropping in the samples in a stereo multi-output instance of EXS24 last night, assigning the ambience samples to hit with the same key as the dry samples but to play on the appropriate instrument channel (e.g. so I can "expand" the track and have separate channel strips for Kick, Snare, Tom 1 etc, OHs, etc. Doesn't that achieve the same thing? Screenshot below.

Last edited by grahambo!; 6 days ago at 02:42 PM.. Reason: Added screenshot
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Actually, I started dropping in the samples in a stereo multi-output instance of EXS24 last night, assigning the ambience samples to hit with the same key as the dry samples but to play on the appropriate instrument channel (e.g. so I can "expand" the track and have separate channel strips for Kick, Snare, Tom 1 etc, OHs, etc. Doesn't that achieve the same thing? Screenshot below.

You're on target here.

In the Editor, place all like hits into a group - Kick, Snare, HH, etc. then assign the group output to it's own output as in your screen grab. These outputs will now appear in the mixer. In the mixer, on the EXS24 channel strip, you'll see a + symbol. Click on it to open the multi-outputs you set up. Snares can now be processed separate from Kicks and hats. The MIDI information will be on the EXS24 track for notation if needed while the mixer gives you control of each voice in the drum kit.

The other option described above - one EXS24 instrument per drum kit voice, all within a summing stack, also works.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Controller 11 View Post
You're on target here.

The other option described above - one EXS24 instrument per drum kit voice, all within a summing stack, also works.
This is indeed how PTFS have configured it in Kontakt, this would include the reverb for kick, snare, toms etc all with their own EXS24 Instrument being triggered by the summing stack.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yes it does, using the separate outs for the dry and reverb samples of course being key here!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search