The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thunderbolt Audio Interface with Logic
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Head
Thunderbolt Audio Interface with Logic

HI everyone, I just upgraded to a new mac and no longer have a firewire port. Im wondering if my presonus firestudio will be compatible if I use the two adapters or if its time to move on? I could just sell the firestudio with my old mac. I really like the 8 xlr ins but I dont want to pay a ton of $$ ( i just dumped a bunch of cash on a beast of a mac) so I would settle for 4 xlr ins, and some midi. Here is my setup and info:

iMac Mohave 4ghz 32mb ram retna 5k 500 gb ssd
Logic Pro 10.4
Model D clone midi synth
usb midi controller
minilogue XD
Voicelive rack
assorted dynamic and condenser mics
GT66, Blue Bird, 57's, 58's etc.

I record and produce several types of music but mostly rock and reggae. I dont typically record more than 2-4 tracks simultaneously but it would be nice to have.

What does everyone use or recommend? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Russfar; 4th April 2019 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: I do prefer rack gear
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russfar View Post
HI everyone, I just upgraded to a new mac and no longer have a firewire port. Im wondering if my presonus firestudio will be compatible if I use the two adapters or if its time to move on? I could just sell the firestudio with my old mac. I really like the 8 xlr ins but I dont want to pay a ton of $$ ( i just dumped a bunch of cash on a beast of a mac) so I would settle for 4 xlr ins, and some midi. Here is my setup and info:

iMac Mohave 4ghz 32mb ram retna 5k 500 gb ssd
Logic Pro 10.4
Model D clone midi synth
usb midi controller
minilogue XD
Voicelive rack
assorted dynamic and condenser mics
GT66, Blue Bird, 57's, 58's etc.

I record and produce several types of music but mostly rock and reggae. I dont typically record more than 2-4 tracks simultaneously but it would be nice to have.

What does everyone use or recommend? Thanks in advance.
Well you’ll have as many recommendations as you’ll have posters but for me the quality and integration of Apogee Element series with Logic is hard to ignore. The 46 would suit your needs but it’s not in the very affordable side of interfaces but at the same time when you look at the quality, performance, built in DSP for low latency monitoring/recording inside Logic, it’s a win-win on all fronts.

KA
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

I use a Focusrite Red 16 Line expanded with several Dante boxes.
I get under 3ms latency and driver support is fantastic.
Easy to set up complex cue mixes and I have the option to use Pro Tools HDX too, which I frequently do.
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorgAddict View Post
Well you’ll have as many recommendations as you’ll have posters but for me the quality and integration of Apogee Element series with Logic is hard to ignore. The 46 would suit your needs but it’s not in the very affordable side of interfaces but at the same time when you look at the quality, performance, built in DSP for low latency monitoring/recording inside Logic, it’s a win-win on all fronts.

KA
A massive +1 from me.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Universal Audio Apollo 8. The thunderbolt connection is great, really like this unit.
Old 5th April 2019
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobian View Post
Universal Audio Apollo 8. The thunderbolt connection is great, really like this unit.
Great choice!
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Head
Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard good things about those units.
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Head
After not budgeting well enough ( i didn't see the no firewire thing coming) I have decided to save up for the apollo. In the meantime I guess I will just buy the adapter for my presonus. Thanks everyone!!
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

I upgraded my Mac after learning I could still use my firewire interface. (RME Fireface 800.) A couple of hardware adapters does the trick . Couple of months in and everything seems fine.
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Head
Anyone familiar with the MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid Audio Interface?
Old 7th April 2019
Gear Head
or this Behringer U-PHORIA UMC1820 USB Audio MIDI Interface it has /miDAS pre's
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Addict
The UMC1820 is a nice looking box. The "Midas-design" pre-amps a probably the same "Midas" pre-amps I have in my Behringer XR18. If I didn't have the XR18 (I can plug/un-plug to go remote easily) I would have installed the UMC1820 to replace my dead Scarlet 18i6. The Scarlet 18i20 and the UMC1820 match up quite nicely.

The monitor controls on the front are very useful, as well as the 2 headphone jacks.

I have become quite a fan of the modern Behringer gear. The prices make it almost a no-brainer for my simple, home studio.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search