The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Game-changing Logic Key Commands Thread
Old 3rd April 2019
Game-changing Logic Key Commands Thread

Which key commands made your life so much easier?

Some of mine :

-Zoom (horizontal, vertical)
-Scroll 1/3 of screen (life changer!)
-Fast forward and rewind 8 bars at a time
-Play from selected region
-Move playhead to next transient
-Split region at playhead
-Move region to playhead
-Move playhead by division
-Change division up/down (from 1/16 to 1/8 etc)

Sped up workflow ftw
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Addict

Command A followed by backspace followed by enter followed by command q
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Guru

something like

set cycle by region? (or) set loop by region = assigned to L
cycle on off = assigned C
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear
  • Record Repeat
  • Move automation up/down +1/-1/+10/-10
  • Crop
  • Delete and Move
  • Force Legato
  • All of my custom MIDI Transform key commands
Old 4th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by anp27 View Post
  • Record Repeat
  • Move automation up/down +1/-1/+10/-10
  • Crop
  • Delete and Move
  • Force Legato
  • All of my custom MIDI Transform key commands
Is force legato the one that extends midi notes all the way to the next midi note? Would like to hear what kind of midi transform tasks you use. :-)

To add to my list, there is a useful mouse click modifier which I always fumble with finding, but I think it is shift + alt/option at the same time. Lets you easily set selected midi notes to the same length or velocity, depending on whether you are using the pointer or velocity tool.

Oh, and of course, key commands for bringing up the tool list and for choosing the most used tools directly! X for scissors, etc.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermal View Post
Is force legato the one that extends midi notes all the way to the next midi note?
Yup, or it extends the note to the end of the region.

Quote:
Would like to hear what kind of midi transform tasks you use. :-)
  • Scale velocity up/down +1/-10/+10/-10
  • Fix note length to 1/16th notes
  • Fix velocity to 127
among several others.

Quote:
Oh, and of course, key commands for bringing up the tool list and for choosing the most used tools directly! X for scissors, etc.
I NEVER open the Tools menu or switch between tools with key commands. I set my tool pallette like so, 3 tools: Pointer, Pencil, Mute (Main Window) and Pointer, Scissors, Mute (Piano Roll) and hold down modifiers to switch between them. I have the Pencil Tool as my Command Click tool to easily draw in Stepped Automation. I also have the Marquee Tool and Fade Click Zones activated in Preferences. Marquee Tool replaces the need for the Scissors tool in the Main Window, and the key command for Join replaces the Glue Tool. I know you can Mute notes/regions with a key command too but I really like simply right clicking to mute a note/region, on my Magic Trackpad I've set Two Finger Tap = Right Click. In addition to this, I can Delete notes/regions with my left hand using Command X. This enables me to keep my right hand on my Trackpad and left hand on my QWERTY keyboard 99% of the time and helps me work fast.

Speaking of the Magic Trackpad, I can easily draw notes with a 3 Finger Tap and delete a note with another 3 Finger Tap directly on the note, so no need to switch to the Pencil or Eraser tool.

So basically I have access to the Pointer, Pencil, Eraser, Mute, Scissors, Marquee and Fade tool depending on which modifier key I'm holding down, different Gestures I'm using or where I have my cursor placed. And if you hold down Shift + Control you get the Automation Curve Tool, and pressing Command + Control you get the Velocity tool. Command + Control then Shift + Option lets you fix the velocities of multiple notes to a single value.

Again, I can access all of Logic's tools without ever opening up the Tools Menu or using key commands to switch between tools.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search