The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic's Synths bank installation path?
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Logic's Synths bank installation path?

Hi,

I have installed Logic Pro X on a new iMac and have tried to install a Retro Synth bank.

On my old iMac this was:

/Library/Application Support/Logic/Plug-In Settings/Retro Synth

On my new iMac I found a plist file in the above folder and installing the bank did not show in Logic even after a refresh and restart.

I then discovered patches are saved in the path below, so I installed the bank and it loaded without issues:

users/name/Music/Audio Music Apps/Plug-In Settings/Retro Synth/Bank

My question is why are there different paths to save patches or install banks?
Has Apple changed the folder where custom sounds are stored?

Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemmick reef View Post
Hi,

I have installed Logic Pro X on a new iMac and have tried to install a Retro Synth bank.

On my old iMac this was:

/Library/Application Support/Logic/Plug-In Settings/Retro Synth

On my new iMac I found a plist file in the above folder and installing the bank did not show in Logic even after a refresh and restart.

I then discovered patches are saved in the path below, so I installed the bank and it loaded without issues:

users/name/Music/Audio Music Apps/Plug-In Settings/Retro Synth/Bank

My question is why are there different paths to save patches or install banks?
Has Apple changed the folder where custom sounds are stored?

Thanks
They've been located there for quite awhile.. I think Logic X was when everything moved to the ~/Music folder (which really irritates me too).. No clue why Apple did this, granted its easier for 'normal' people to get too, that's not my Audio location, that's my Music location. As in iTunes and crap. Digging through my own folders just now, you SHOULD have tons of presets in /Library/App Support/Logic/etc... Mine is full with all of the factory presets. The ones in my ~/Music/etc folder are my user saved presets (those folders are almost all empty).

What I would love for Logic to do now, is when I want to 'Save As' a new project Im working on, STOP picking the damn ~/Music folder as the default location! I have a separate drive for audio and I want it there!!!
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
They've been located there for quite awhile.. I think Logic X was when everything moved to the ~/Music folder (which really irritates me too).. No clue why Apple did this, granted its easier for 'normal' people to get too, that's not my Audio location, that's my Music location. As in iTunes and crap. Digging through my own folders just now, you SHOULD have tons of presets in /Library/App Support/Logic/etc... Mine is full with all of the factory presets. The ones in my ~/Music/etc folder are my user saved presets (those folders are almost all empty).

What I would love for Logic to do now, is when I want to 'Save As' a new project Im working on, STOP picking the damn ~/Music folder as the default location! I have a separate drive for audio and I want it there!!!
It's a bit odd they changed the folders for this, but there must be a reason?

I only changed my computer last September 2018, so it happened with my computer switchover or in a Logic update since. I don't think they add those sorts of changes into the 'what's new' list?

So it's just a matter of why is it not working and what do I do now? The easiest way is to save a patch from Retro Synth with a unique name and then do a search for the patch - that will identify the folder and path.
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
a small utility called Default Folder can often help. I think it also provides a mode where if you have a folder in the background open, you can either click that background when the save dialogue is active, or Default Folder uses the open folder as a quick source for a save destination.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
a small utility called Default Folder can often help. I think it also provides a mode where if you have a folder in the background open, you can either click that background when the save dialogue is active, or Default Folder uses the open folder as a quick source for a save destination.
Ok, thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search