The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic External Instrument Issue Audio Interfaces
Old 26th March 2019
Gear Head

Logic External Instrument Issue

I am having problems with my current logic setup which includes the following:

Logic Pro x
Arturia Keystep
Apollo Twin Duo
Roland JP-08

I can plug the midi out of the keystep into the Roland and it works great. I can plug the USB of the Keystep into the computer and control logic’s soft synths and record midi sequences. When I go to playback a midi sequence and send that data back out through the keystep and to the JP-08 all hell breaks loose. The JP-08 is clearly receiving data, but basically as soon as I start playback, the notes get transposed multiple octaves lower, and the settings on the JP-08 change so that the patch I had loaded is different as well, in ways I can’t explain. I worked with Arturia and it seems like that part of the equation is OK. I’m flipping the midi Thru setting on, and the Roland is very clearly getting the data, but somehow the data is all mangled.

Any ideas how I might be able to fix this one?
Old 27th March 2019
Gear Head

So I fixed my own issue - sort of. I set the JP-08 to run on channel 2, and updated the external instrument in Logic for the same. Now playback works as intended without all the madness. But it makes me wonder, what was coming out of Logic and/or the keystep on channel 1 that was causing all the midi data madness? Any thoughts?
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear

I've used midi monitor in the past to track down midi anomalies.
Old 8th April 2019
Here for the gear

I had similar glitches witch my Machinedrum on a Focusrite Clarett 8Pre, Mac Mini & Logic 10. As d.dot suggested I have used MIDI Monitor to find out that Logic is sending lots of notes/stops/whatever to my Machinedrum that completely destroyed the currently loaded Kit.

My analysis never got completed but so far I found out:

1) With Ableton I haven't such weirdness ongoing - can you confirm this as well in your case? You could try out another sequencer
2) I've connected the MD to an older Keystation 49 Masterkeyboard's MIDI out and seems like there it does not receive these notes. So is something wrong with my Focusrite? Obviously not...

Sorry for not helping you, all I can say is that you're not alone with having Logic sending unwanted Midi-crazyness

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search