The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Using an external compressor with Logic & Element 88
Old 17th March 2019
Gear Nut

Using an external compressor with Logic & Element 88

I can't seem to get this to work correctly.
perhaps someone can easily, I'm sure tell where I'm messing up, and tell me a better way to route-
I'm just trying to run a "finished" track through the compressor
(this must be mono, correct?)

The Element has 2 XLR outs, and two 1/4" TRS outs-
The compressor has 1 in, 1 out-both XLR
I was taking one XLR out from the Elements> in of the compressor and the out of the compressor to Input 3 of the Element-

I've used Utility to try and get this to work, but it just doesn't, and I know it's something simple-I've watch a couple YT tutorials, but....

any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear
Try using the I/O plugin? set output and input. Remember to print in realtime.
Old 18th March 2019
Gear Nut

I am using the I/O Utility, but I'm getting no/the lowest signal-

I guess I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the Outs possibilities with the Element 88
I've onlt had it for a month, and done basic recording with it-coming from an Apogee Duet-

I don't have a patchbay, so sending via Logic is new to me, and I think that's where I'm messing up-

I have these 2 main outs, and the Alt. Outs- and don't get how to access the other 4 outs-(it says it has 8 outs altogether)
to just use the Alt. Outs, I need to grab a 1/4" TRS to Male XLR to go into my compressor (it's a Vari-Mu style), right?then from there go into , say Input 3 of the Elements?
And Printing in real Time, is just recording while you are playing the track, correct? There's no Print button (I get the film reference)

Again, any help, even as stupid and dense as I may seem, is greatly appreciated-

oh, we'll all laugh about this one day
Old 20th March 2019
Apogee

Hi Pale,

I'll assume that you're using Main Out L-R (the rear panel XLRs) to your speakers, so I'm going to suggest to connect the Alt Out L TRS to your compressor XLR input (using an adaptor).

Next, connect compressor XLR out to XLR in 3 on the front panel. In Apogee Control, make sure to configure Analog 3 input for +4 Line Level.

Set up the I/O plugin as shown in the attached screenshot - Output to Playback 3 (the insert send) and Input to Analog 3 (the insert return).

If things aren't working with this setup, I find it helpful to bypass the compressor by connecting the XLR in directly to the XLR out until I get audio to pass through the channel strip without the comp.

If you use one of the Main outs, remember that it's level is controlled by the Main Out Level in Apogee Control - it's set up by default to connect to speakers.

Hope this helps,

Roger from Apogee
Attached Thumbnails
Using an external compressor with Logic & Element 88-screen-shot-2019-03-20-1.59.20-pm.jpg  
Old 21st March 2019
Gear Nut

Thanks.
I will try this.
Old 17th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Did this work? I'm about to buy a new element 88 but I want to be able to use my Chandler germanium also
Old 17th October 2019
Gear Nut

Yes, 100% .
Old 18th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Awesome!!! Ok.. I was just about to switch from getting an new element 88 to a used ensemble but the conversion quality is supposedly the same says the apogee rep. But the price point is great on the element 88. Now I can get it!!! That’s so cool , thank you for this post. I recently traded my old cerwin vega passive subwoofer to a guy who really needed a pair of subs and he gave me the Chandler Germanium WITH the power supply for the speakers!! Score!! It’s so good to know that now I’ll be able to use them. Thanks my friend. I will save all the info from this post. Thank you again. Any tips you might have regarding the step by step process will help if you have time. Would a patch bay help for this type of scenario? Or is it easy enough exactly how your doing it? I have lots of questions as it will be my first time using an outboard compressor so any advice helps.
Old 18th October 2019
Gear Nut

The post above really covers all the steps.

I'm in the process of getting a patchbay, so I hope it will greatly help with a faster workflow
Old 18th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Cool. Let me know how the patch ya works out. Maybe I’ll grab one too to speed things up.
Old 28th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Hi Pale rider. So I think I'm screwing this up or my compressor or cable is bad.
I took all of the steps as instructed and right away I notice that I get a really bad clicking sound coming from the compressor and the actual instrument signal that I'm sending is WAAYYY in the background. Im using a Chandler Germanium and I'm not sure if its my compressor or what. Im also using pretty much the same cables that you are. 1/4 inch to xlr into compressor input from the Alt outputs of the element. then an xlr back into the elements input with the input set to line level. Any ideas?
Old 28th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Also my version of logic x pro only says input 3 output 3.
It doesn’t have the (playback) (analog) selection. Wondering if this is effecting the routing somehow
Old 28th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Also does it matter that I wasn't trying this with vocals but with a bass guitar that I had previously recorded? Im trying to run there bass guitar from the interface to the compressor than back.
Old 28th October 2019
Gear Nut

I'd double check you are following the directions above, and then talk to Apple if it doesn't work
Old 1st November 2019
Gear Maniac

I figured it out. The noise was actually coming from the compressor itself so I sent it back to Chandler Limited and they're going to check it out. Wade the owner of Chandler is a class act by the way. He took time out of his day to help me out over the phone while instructing me on how to use the multimeter. He is an awesome guy. And obviously very very talented. I can't say enough good things about the staff over there at Chandler. Very helpful people. Hopefully ill have it back soon so I can enjoy it. This Apogee element is just Awesome though. CLEEEAN sound through and through. Im glad I chose this interface. Thanks for the help everybody
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Im getting my Chandler Germanium back from Chandler tomorrow. Now that I can run the signal, does anyone know how to monitor the signal coming back from the compressor to say .. channel 2, without hearing the bass guitar running from channel 1 to the compressor so that I can hear just the signal with the effect?
I have the bass running out from the Alt L out of the Element 88, but if I mute that channel, obviously the signal itself mutes and therefore there is no signal running out to the compressor? any way to just monitor the incoming effected signal? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but I'm not very experienced with routing

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search