The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Logic groups make I/O plugin go out of sync
Old 17th March 2019
Lives for gear
Logic groups make I/O plugin go out of sync

I recently built a nice summing mixer from old Neve parts. Primarily using the monitor section from an 80 series console. The idea being to have a really vibey, coloured mixer [There’s 56 transformers in it]

I intend to have the summing mixer feed back into my DAW [Logic] via the I/O plugin. I won’t go into the benefits of a setup like this in this post as it will make it too long and it’s not the point here but if people are interested then I will in another post.

The way I set this up is to have a mono aux channel in Logic for each channel on the summing mixer. Those aux channels are routed to ‘no output’ and have an I/O plugin on there. I set the plugin to send to it’s respective summing mixer channel, receive the return of the mixer, ping it and then set its return to ‘no input’

I then have a stereo aux channel with the I/O plugin and I do the same thing but I route it to Logic's mix bus

When I route a track to this it works fine and does what I need it to.

The problem comes when I try and route to a group. The audio goes completely out of sync.

Does anyone know why and is there a way to fix it?

Last edited by woodfoot; 17th March 2019 at 07:27 PM..
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear
Explain "route to a group"?
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear
Sorry I mean sending the output of a channel to a bus/aux
Old 19th March 2019
Lives for gear

Logic compesnates for busses seperately and IME, super f’n poorly. So, you could make sure that in the audio settings its set to comprenate for BOTH tracks and busses....and also that you cant have any disabled plug ins (where the plug ins requir latency when active) on a bus....EVER or the whole thing will be off becuase it compensates for the disabled plug in’s reported latency even thoughits not active, thus not incurring the latency.
Old 27th March 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
Logic compesnates for busses seperately and IME, super f’n poorly. So, you could make sure that in the audio settings its set to comprenate for BOTH tracks and busses....and also that you cant have any disabled plug ins (where the plug ins requir latency when active) on a bus....EVER or the whole thing will be off becuase it compensates for the disabled plug in’s reported latency even thoughits not active, thus not incurring the latency.
Thanks.
I'm havin a nightmare with this.
Been mixing an EP and just found out that plugin delay compensation doesn't work properly on Aux buses!
Will have to switch DAW immediately. Will start using Reaper for the time being (I assume delay compensation on buses works in Reaper?).
Been using a Drum Hi bus, Drum Lo bus going in to a Drum Mix bus with a send to a side-chain, then in to Stereo Output. Got a Bass bus, a Guitar bus, etc, etc.
Just found out that everything is screwed because Logic doesn't do Aux bus delay compensation properly.

I wouldn't have believed that such a fundamental thing would not work in a professional DAW in 2019. Mind blown. Apparently Logic has had this issue for over ten years. I guess Apple doesn't give a damn.

Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimelectric View Post
Just found out that everything is screwed because Logic doesn't do Aux bus delay compensation properly.
Indeed, Apple needs to address this issue immediately.
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
Indeed, Apple needs to address this issue immediately.
They have let it stay for ten years so why would they change it now?
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
They have let it stay for ten years so why would they change it now?
Yeah, it's a design choice. Much like their (IMO) shortsighted need to dynamically move anything channel your cursor touches to the first core that makes for all the complaints of "single core bugs"--it's not a bug. It's the way they designed it to work.

I think we're in dangerous land in this new world of everyone wanting every feature in every DAW. There are positives and negatives to any design choice. What the WORST design choice often is....is trying to please everyone.
Old 9th April 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
Yeah, it's a design choice.

I think we're in dangerous land in this new world of everyone wanting every feature in every DAW. There are positives and negatives to any design choice. What the WORST design choice often is....is trying to please everyone.
I can't see how you're meant to mix without using buses though. Kinda seems ultra essential.
Old 22nd June 2019
Here for the gear

Was this solved by the updates in the newest version of Logic? I know they just tinkered with the latency and how you can turn tracks/plugins on and off.
Old 23rd June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks.

I wouldn't have believed that such a fundamental thing would not work in a professional DAW in 2019. Mind blown. Apparently Logic has had this issue for over ten years. I guess Apple doesn't give a damn.

I wonder if Apple really spend much on development of Logic, it hasn’t really changed much for a long time especially the mixer, compared to other DAWs it’s way behind. 10.4.5 is quicker but very buggy for me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search