The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does Logic Pro 9 sometimes “forget,” or do I need a new computer?
Old 10th March 2019
  #1
Does Logic Pro 9 sometimes “forget,” or do I need a new computer?

Sometimes I’ll use those picture type icons for drums or vocals etc, to label a channel and then I’ll come back the next day they are gone. Or I’ll make a channel strip on an aux bus, give it a name and come back to find it altered.
My computer is admittedly old, going on ten years now and I’ll soon upgrade to a solid state drive but just wondering if this is a Logic issue anyone else has experienced.
Old 10th March 2019
  #2
Gear Head
 
beadbrain99's Avatar
 

This may possibly be because you have the screenset "locked", so any changes you make to the layout will not be saved with the song... try unlocking the screenset, making the alterations you want, then relocking it before saving your song...
Old 10th March 2019
  #3
Turns out the screen was unlocked the whole time. Locking and unlocking it didn’t appear to change anything, but thanks for the idea.
I also noticed some ghost type activity like a track that had been muted still going through a bus. This ended when I deleted the track. Weird.

Last edited by warlordpriest; 10th March 2019 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: Unnecessary word deleted
Old 16th March 2019
  #4
From another discussion and other users who have experienced the same. Just in case someone comes here to reference this. It’s definitely a software problem. I can live with it though. And keeping Time Machine running in the background seems to mitigate it in my case.


“You are experiencing the same? I thought it might be due to something specific to my system...”

“Not sure if we're talking about the same thing - you may be referring to just the window positions themselves on multiple monitors, I'm referring to Logic's screen sets. I always lock the screen set once I want to keep it, and often times it comes back different after a reboot. Sometimes it happens even when I don't do a reboot. Logic seems to be the only DAW that I have this issue with.”
Old 23rd March 2019
  #5
Another user wrote:

I managed to run Logic 9.1.8 under El Capitan, and it seemed to function quite well, and snappily, but with the unfortunate and showstopping exception that the auxilliary / bus naming situation was a complete disaster and I was unable to find a workaround (I was unable to rename buses, as the system would "forget" my changes on every fresh startup). So it has been back to Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion, as I loathe working in LP X.
Old 27th March 2019
  #6
Gear Addict
 

I felt the same way about X but was essentially forced to begin using it because of collaborations/joint projects with other people. Once I discovered how to display all the hidden features that disappeared when they dumbed Logic down for X, and imported my trusty key commands from 9, I began to feel more comfortable. I still do certain things in 9 when I can though..
Old 28th March 2019
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippy View Post
I felt the same way about X but was essentially forced to begin using it because of collaborations/joint projects with other people. Once I discovered how to display all the hidden features that disappeared when they dumbed Logic down for X, and imported my trusty key commands from 9, I began to feel more comfortable. I still do certain things in 9 when I can though..
Funny you should mention that. A friend of mine also was just telling me today about how important those key commands are. As he put it when asked about being given the option to import key commands:


“ YEP... but its a one time offer... when you upgrade, Logic will ask if you want to keep YOUR key commands or use the ones they've created. I decided to keep mine & l'm glad l did. It made the transition smooth because l could at least rely on that as a base to find stuff & get around on the new screen.”
Old 29th March 2019
  #8
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlordpriest View Post
Funny you should mention that. A friend of mine also was just telling me today about how important those key commands are. As he put it when asked about being given the option to import key commands:


“ YEP... but its a one time offer... when you upgrade, Logic will ask if you want to keep YOUR key commands or use the ones they've created. I decided to keep mine & l'm glad l did. It made the transition smooth because l could at least rely on that as a base to find stuff & get around on the new screen.”
it wasn't in my case..I didn't upgrade (still have 9, and 7) and I just saved my key commands from 9, kept the file on my desktop and on a flash drive for when I work elsewhere. No issues loading them into X at any point.
Old 29th March 2019
  #9
Key Commands demystified

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippy View Post
it wasn't in my case..I didn't upgrade (still have 9, and 7) and I just saved my key commands from 9, kept the file on my desktop and on a flash drive for when I work elsewhere. No issues loading them into X at any point.
That’s interesting and I’m glad that you made that point, that it isn’t necessarily mandatory to upgrade to logic Pro X. I found a short video on YouTube that might be interesting to those who want to look more into Logic Pro 9 key commands. Explains how to save them change them and even loading them elsewhere as you do. Very handy! Thanks for commenting here.
YouTube
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
C Heat / Music Computers
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump