The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Drummer (Re)Mapping?
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear

Drummer (Re)Mapping?

My search found a few very old threads on the topic, all of which were much more complicated than I hoped. With several Logic updates since then...

Is there a basic (similar to what other drum VSTs like Addictive Drums provide) method for remapping kit pieces to notes/pads of my choice?
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
My search found a few very old threads on the topic, all of which were much more complicated than I hoped. With several Logic updates since then...

Is there a basic (similar to what other drum VSTs like Addictive Drums provide) method for remapping kit pieces to notes/pads of my choice?
Use RemapNiño, 10th item down: Free Logic Pro X Scripts - LogicScripts - MIDI fx plugin scripts for Logic Pro X
Old 27th February 2019
Here for the gear

Drum replacement?

I'm kind of a newbie at this but if you're referring to drum replacement check this out:

YouTube

Excellent series of videos for learning.
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp27 View Post
I'll check it out, but I'm hoping for a simpler, less intrusive solution. My only experience with scripts is using one that someone else already wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcullen001 View Post
I'm kind of a newbie at this but if you're referring to drum replacement check this out:

YouTube

Excellent series of videos for learning.
Nah, more like moving a kick from C1 to E1 for more convenient placement on MPC pads. But thanks.
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'll check it out, but I'm hoping for a simpler, less intrusive solution. My only experience with scripts is using one that someone else already wrote.
Yeah the script is already written, all you have to do is enter the values based on what you need. There's a box for C1, C#1, etc... and you enter the note you want the original note to be remapped to. It's super easy to figure out.
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah the script is already written, all you have to do is enter the values based on what you need. There's a box for C1, C#1, etc... and you enter the note you want the original note to be remapped to. It's super easy to figure out.
Sweet! Thank you.
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Sweet! Thank you.
Don't forget to save the settings you made as a preset. Better yet, save the entire track as a Patch which includes the software instrument you used plus the Scripter plugin with the preset that you made. Good luck!
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

Should've posted in my own thread 1st...

Not sure if Logic's scripter under MIDI Effects is the same or similar, but I finally got around to trying this using that, reminded by a Youtube vid I came across. It works great for MIDI in. I can use my custom finger drum mapping successfully.

Unfortunately this disturbs the internal mapping causing all of the Drummer's grooves to play incorrectly. Does this address the internal mapping?

Ultimately I'm looking to accomplish 2 things:
1. Remap the Logic Drummer to my custom map for finger drumming.
2. Use the Logic Drummer's grooves to trigger 3rd party drum plugins using that same custom map.

I'm hoping you can confirm this will do the job before I go through the motions.

Thanks!
Old 7th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
1. Remap the Logic Drummer to my custom map for finger drumming.
2. Use the Logic Drummer's grooves to trigger 3rd party drum plugins using that same custom map.
I don't know that you can change the mapping for Drummer. Also I think the intended purpose of Drummer is not to play patterns but to automatically generate patterns for you. If you want to play them yourself you should use the Drum Kit Designer or Drum Machine Designer instead.

For number 2, all you need to do is make sure whatever third party drum plugin you're using is set to the GM Drum map and everything should be working correctly. I do this all the time with Addictive Drums 2.
Old 7th September 2019
Lives for gear
Most DAW's have profiles for drum brains. For example a TD-20 or TD-30 from Roland. Pick a drum brain and use it's map. Fastest place to start. Then you map those notes in the drum software. Many have the same brains already mapped.

re read the first post. You are looking to create your own kit. Many workstations have that. Im shure its out there
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Addict

I don't think there's a way to change things in Drummer the way you can in Addictive drums, but there's a kind of work around for the mapping thing. It won't be a custom map as such, but you can use it for the finger drumming.

Drummer is effectively a front end for Ultrabeat. all the samples are being played through Ultrabeat.

For your purposes you could open up Drummer using Trap Door drums for example.
If you then look at the mixer view, you will see a little disclosure triangle at the bottom of the "trap door", if you click on this it opens up all the individual tracks for each drum part, kick, rim, snare etc.

The instance of Ultrabeat usually shows up on the Kick track in the mixer.....

If you open this instance of ultra beat, you can move the kick up from the bottom to wherever you want it to go by drag and drop. Moving it will also move it on your midi keyboard, so moving kick from c1 to e1. I've never had reason to do this myself, but I presume you can move whatever you want to wherever you want and possibly save this as an instrument so keeping the kit part placement?
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know that you can change the mapping for Drummer. Also I think the intended purpose of Drummer is not to play patterns but to automatically generate patterns for you. If you want to play them yourself you should use the Drum Kit Designer or Drum Machine Designer instead.

For number 2, all you need to do is make sure whatever third party drum plugin you're using is set to the GM Drum map and everything should be working correctly. I do this all the time with Addictive Drums 2.
I want to both play and use the Drummer's patterns. Use my kick & snare pattern but grab a hi hat patter from Drummer, for example.

And I want everything custom mapped, not GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Most DAW's have profiles for drum brains. For example a TD-20 or TD-30 from Roland. Pick a drum brain and use it's map. Fastest place to start. Then you map those notes in the drum software. Many have the same brains already mapped.

re read the first post. You are looking to create your own kit. Many workstations have that. Im shure its out there
Not sure I understand you suggestion related to what I'm looking to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockshamrover View Post
I don't think there's a way to change things in Drummer the way you can in Addictive drums, but there's a kind of work around for the mapping thing. It won't be a custom map as such, but you can use it for the finger drumming.

Drummer is effectively a front end for Ultrabeat. all the samples are being played through Ultrabeat.

For your purposes you could open up Drummer using Trap Door drums for example.
If you then look at the mixer view, you will see a little disclosure triangle at the bottom of the "trap door", if you click on this it opens up all the individual tracks for each drum part, kick, rim, snare etc.

The instance of Ultrabeat usually shows up on the Kick track in the mixer.....

If you open this instance of ultra beat, you can move the kick up from the bottom to wherever you want it to go by drag and drop. Moving it will also move it on your midi keyboard, so moving kick from c1 to e1. I've never had reason to do this myself, but I presume you can move whatever you want to wherever you want and possibly save this as an instrument so keeping the kit part placement?
This sounds like it could be what I need. I'll look at this tonight.

Trap Door is a preset in Ultrabeat?

Thanks folks!
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=

Trap Door is a preset in Ultrabeat?

Thanks folks![/QUOTE]

No, it's a preset in Drummer when you select hip hop drums.

Hope it works out for you
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

10 minutes in the step-editor window with autodefine? No?
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
10 minutes in the step-editor window with autodefine? No?
Autodefine? New Term. I'll look into it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search