The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Should i buy pro x now? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

Should i buy pro x now?

if i buy Pro X today do i have to pay the full price for pro11 again if released within 1 or 2 years?

thank you
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonStrom View Post
if i buy Pro X today do i have to pay the full price for pro11 again if released within 1 or 2 years?

thank you
I'm gonna say, no. I'm just speculating but wait till Summer NAMM at least. A major paid update might come out during that time. To answer your second question, if you buy Logic now and IF a major paid update comes out in July, you WILL have to pay full price, again.
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

thanks
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

Without a doubt, Logic is the best deal in the history of software. It ridiculous how much content and creativite options are included for $199.
If you bought it now and had to buy it again in July, you’d still be so far ahead of any other product sold to create music.
Pull the trigger.
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
If you bought it now and had to buy it again in July, you’d still be so far ahead of any other product sold to create music.
Pull the trigger.
Haha wow you must have excess money or something! I mean I get what you're saying and I do agree that $199 for Logic is a killer deal but $199 is still $199! There are so many things you can do with that money instead...
Old 13th February 2019
Gear Addict

Well, you don't HAVE to upgrade...whether you want/need to or not depends on what new features are available in the new version. If you don't have a DAW, need one now, and Logic would be your first choice for a DAW, you might as well buy it now so you don't waste your time learning how to use a different DAW and then start over when you get Logic. If you already have a DAW and want to switch to Logic but there's no rush, I agree with the advice to wait. There are plenty of improvements and new features that could be added. I'd love to see some interface improvements, especially in the mixer -- bigger meters would be great (the iPad app is a workaround for that), a better way to add and view plugins and effects chains would also be nice. But plenty of people use the current version of Logic professionally and are doing great things with it so if you need a DAW now you can always get it and learn the current version, and then if at some point you think the new version has enough must-have features to warrant an upgrade you can upgrade at that point. If it doesn't, nobody's forcing you to upgrade; you can stay with the current version as long as your machine can still run it. There are lots of people who still use Logic 9 and earlier versions.
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp27 View Post
Haha wow you must have excess money or something! I mean I get what you're saying and I do agree that $199 for Logic is a killer deal but $199 is still $199! There are so many things you can do with that money instead...
Garage Band is free, use that. You'll get most of the sounds and the structure is kind of the same. GB sessions will also wake up in Logic.

I make my living with Logic and have for decades. I'm pretty sure it's paid for itself by now. Just be happy it's not a subscription service (yet) like most software is moving to.
Old 13th February 2019
Quote:
Well, he's probably a 'vet' Logic user like me hehe.. When Emagic ran the show, and even before Apple made Logic the all in one package it is, updates to new versions were quite a bit more than the $200 Apple charges for the full package.

I think going from Logic 4 to 5 cost me 3 or 4 hundred dollars, and that was only because I was a current user. A brand new Logic 5 Platinum would've set you back close to $1000. Logic's instruments like EXS24, ES2, the vocoder, etc.. You had to pay for those separately and they were $250 a piece JUST for a single instrument. I dropped the money for EXS24 and just a few months later, everyone got it for free. At first, even Apple had separate updates/upgrades you had to pay for, and the entire Logic package was like 4 or 5 hundred I think? At some point Apple killed all the confusion and just said 'Here you can all have it for the price existing users pay for upgrades'.

Apple made Logic like a gift from heaven when they took over hehe.
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Garage Band is free, use that. You'll get most of the sounds and the structure is kind of the same. GB sessions will also wake up in Logic.
I made that comment not because I don't already own Logic (been using Logic since version 9), I made that comment because it's generally good to try and save money

Quote:
I make my living with Logic and have for decades.
Me too!

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's paid for itself by now. Just be happy it's not a subscription service (yet) like most software is moving to.
SHHHHHHHHH don't give them any ideas!
Old 4 weeks ago
Logic is a loss leader. It’s priced low to sell hardware. Very expensive hardware. Regardless, it’s insanely capable now so what exactly is it that you’re worried about losing out on? In the meantime you lose out on months of using it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Pull the trigger.
The word “pro” indicates that this a product for people who make money recording music. $199 is absolute chump change for professional software with this kind of power.

If you are worried about $199 then you should use the consumer version called Garageband.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Never used logic but garage band is a toy. I use reaper as my cheap, but powerful daw...

I'm getting everyone to boycott subscription based software. Because its not their software that makes music, we do.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
If you are worried about $199 then you should use the consumer version called Garageband.
Hmmmm it seems that a few people misunderstood my comment... I actually do make money using Logic, have been since version 9.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Hmmmm it seems that a few people misunderstood my comment... I actually do make money using Logic, have been since version 9.

Maybe they didn't understand that if the software doesn't bring anything new that makes money, its worthless.

Also, there is caveats to always using the latest version. Especially if they "redesign" things.

.............and that's why they call me "The Mad Scientist"
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I actually do make money using Logic, have been since version 5.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Music View Post
I actually do make money using Logic, have been since version 5.
Cool Just means that I'm younger than you
Old 4 weeks ago
Oh yeah well Ive been broke ever since Platinum 3.5/4 so THERE!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Oh yeah well Ive been broke ever since Platinum 3.5/4 so THERE!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search