The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic Pro X- Can you trust it for Audio Work? DAW Software
Old 2 weeks ago
Logic Pro X- Can you trust it for Audio Work?

I have been an Apple guy since 1998. I’ve had Logic since logic 8.
When in Nashville, everyone uses pro tools for audio work.
I love composing in Logic but I find the audio editing features cumbersome compared to pro tools and really even Studio One.
In addition you do get these little sneaky bugs that can end up being pretty important and not immediately obvious.

Does anyone use Logic for professional audio work ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

yes
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmix View Post
Yes.
How do you edit multi track live drums without cymbal artifact ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydaddymusic View Post

I guess I don't understand the question, I have never had any issues with artifacts while editing in Logic.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Yes.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
I guess I don't understand the question, I have never had any issues with artifacts while editing in Logic.
I only saw flextime as audio editor. Even with the rhythmic algorithm you could tell the drums had been edited by cymbal funniness
In pro tools you can manually tab to transient
Or use beat detective in smaller chunks with no artifacts of any kind
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I only saw flextime as audio editor. Even with the rhythmic algorithm you could tell the drums had been edited by cymbal funniness
In Logic, use Flex Time's "Slicing" mode for drums. It's essentially the same thing as PT's beat detective, although you don't see all the chops and crossfades. If you use the same care you would with beat detective, it provides excellent results. I find it to be much faster, and it's nice to be able to leave it "live" and experiment with various levels of quantization or swing if you want.

Alternatively, the left and right arrow keys can be used with Logic in the same manner as PT's "tab to transient", so you can do it all by hand if you so choose.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you need to do timing correction, Logic has many available modes which are optimized for different sources. There are at least 2 which can be used on drums with no artifacts. Timing correction and editing mean different things to me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Good to know!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyofsalvador View Post
In Logic, use Flex Time's "Slicing" mode for drums. It's essentially the same thing as PT's beat detective, although you don't see all the chops and crossfades. If you use the same care you would with beat detective, it provides excellent results. I find it to be much faster, and it's nice to be able to leave it "live" and experiment with various levels of quantization or swing if you want.

Alternatively, the left and right arrow keys can be used with Logic in the same manner as PT's "tab to transient", so you can do it all by hand if you so choose.
I need to spend some time with this
I use apogee interfaces so using Logic would be great- in addition, to check a mix bouncing directly to iTunes with a decent sounding codec is very helpful
Old 2 weeks ago
What about bugs in current version?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

what about them?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldrabbit View Post
what about them?
Are you noticing any?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

no
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Many pros are making music/hits with Logic. Mee thinks the skills and your preferable workflow make a bigger difference than the daw itself. They’re all pretty decent these says. I use Logic though. Since the day 1 really?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yes, not sure where this distrust for audio work comes from! Logic X’s audio editing is right up there, there are plenty of videos on YouTube showing you how to quantise live drums! I’ve done albums worth of this type of work with no issue! You just really need to learn Logic beyond just composing with it, it is very powerful and flexible with audio quantise, no pun intented
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've been using LPX for a while but still picked a few useful tips from this vid. The instructor cuts, edits and quantizes live drums starting at about 16:50.

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Back several versions, Logic wasn’t really sample accurate (I did my own tests), and so did doe bad things to audio. The current version seems to work great. But this may be the source of the “can’t trust the audio” yak.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
You learn how to use it properly!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What about bugs in current version?
Flex time often ****s up and doesn't display properly.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeflora View Post
Flex time often ****s up and doesn't display properly.
I haven't seen this issue in the last several releases.. are you able to reproduce it in 10.4.4?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Beck just won a Grammy, recorded and edited in Logic. One of the songs are the demo project in Logic.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does anyone use Logic for professional audio work?
Yes.

Quote:
I find the audio editing features cumbersome compared to Pro Tools.
Then use Pro-Tools.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I haven't seen this issue in the last several releases.. are you able to reproduce it in 10.4.4?
It's erratic and yes happens in current ver same as ever
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Squirrel View Post
Beck just won a Grammy, recorded and edited in Logic. One of the songs are the demo project in Logic.
Too bad he didn't use pro tools to edit. The music would have been sooo much better
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's erratic and yes happens in current ver same as ever
The only issue I've found that sometimes the markers aren't visible, but it is usually due to operator error (zoom level, etc), and googling that issue reveals that posts about this diminished greatly since 2009 or so... can you be more specific about what the persistent issue is for you?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The only issue I've found that sometimes the markers aren't visible, but it is usually due to operator error (zoom level, etc), and googling that issue reveals that posts about this diminished greatly since 2009 or so... can you be more specific about what the persistent issue is for you?
Do you work at Apple or know someone who does?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you work at Apple or know someone who does?
I do not work at apple, though I am a "certified apple developer" FWIW, and I have daily communications with the Logic development team.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do not work at apple, though I am a "certified apple developer" FWIW, and I have daily communications with the Logic development team.
Ok cool, I was asking in the hope that you did have that connection. I didn't want to take the time to write it out for someone to suggest I delete preferences and reinstall.

Let me take some screenshots and note how I got there and my attempted troubleshooting steps and eventual workaround the next time I encounter it which will likely be in a session later this week.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok cool, I was asking in the hope that you did have that connection. I didn't want to take the time to write it out for someone to suggest I delete preferences and reinstall.

Let me take some screenshots and note how I got there and my attempted troubleshooting steps and eventual workaround the next time I encounter it which will likely be in a session later this week.
Be sure to familiarize yourself with these steps:

Logic Pro X: Flex Time and Pitch overview

And be sure you're not overlooking some basic thing, as several people have discovered here:

Notes not showing for Flex Pitch - Apple Community

and here:

Logic Pro X Flex Time transient markers don't appear - Logic Pro Help

And even this thread from 10 years ago might be helpful:

Flex Mode markers not showing up. - Logic Pro Help
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search