The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Logic Pro X- Can you trust it for Audio Work?
Old 14th February 2019
  #31
Thank you !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmix View Post
Be sure to familiarize yourself with these steps:

Logic Pro X: Flex Time and Pitch overview

And be sure you're not overlooking some basic thing, as several people have discovered here:

Notes not showing for Flex Pitch - Apple Community

and here:

Logic Pro X Flex Time transient markers don't appear - Logic Pro Help

And even this thread from 10 years ago might be helpful:

Flex Mode markers not showing up. - Logic Pro Help
Very helpful
Old 15th February 2019
  #32
Gear Addict
 
Doc No's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeflora View Post
Flex time often ****s up and doesn't display properly.
You must doing something very wrong. I use Flex time excessive all the time and it works perfect. Maybe you should watch some tutorials.
Old 15th February 2019
  #33
Logic works fine. Editing is a little clunky compared to protools, but I can deal with it. I prefer Logic for everything else.

I had one project (song) where flex audio malfunctioned doing drum edits. It took a while to get that sorted out. But overall it's been really solid for me, I use it 80 hours a week, never think about the DAW.
Old 15th February 2019
  #34
Lives for gear
 
faeflora's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc No View Post
You must doing something very wrong. I use Flex time excessive all the time and it works perfect. Maybe you should watch some tutorials.
Yah, maybe I'm just tooooooo dumb to understand how flex time works.

Maybe you should work with talent that doesn't need excessive flex time work.
Old 15th February 2019
  #35
Gear Addict
 
Doc No's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeflora View Post
Yah, maybe I'm just tooooooo dumb to understand how flex time works.
It's ok as long you are a good person.
Old 8th August 2019
  #36
Lives for gear
 
faeflora's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmix View Post
Be sure to familiarize yourself with these steps:

Logic Pro X: Flex Time and Pitch overview

And be sure you're not overlooking some basic thing, as several people have discovered here:

Notes not showing for Flex Pitch - Apple Community

and here:

Logic Pro X Flex Time transient markers don't appear - Logic Pro Help

And even this thread from 10 years ago might be helpful:

Flex Mode markers not showing up. - Logic Pro Help
Hi there zmix, I finally took some screenshots. This is on 10.4.6 where flex has gotten even more buggy. Here's an example of a GUI problem.

In one, you can see that flex is on for a track but zero markers or pitch information is displayed. This can happen next to other regions that have flex successfully displayed.

In the other screenshot the tracks are only partially colored and again, no flex information is displayed. This can happen next to other regions that have flex successfully displayed.

Sometimes these issues are fixed by these troubleshooting steps: I try troubleshooting by Detect Transients, Update File Information, Refresh Overview(s) in the audio editor. Also tried reloading the audio driver, turning Flex View on and off in the arrange window, and turning Flex & Follow on/off in the inspector. Sometimes they are fixed by restarting Logic. Sometimes they just aren't fixable (no flex displayed) and I have to bounce out the region and try to get it to detect again.

While we're on the topic of bugs, 10.4.6 has some real issues. A few- MIDI Transform is grayed out randomly, you can't route sends back to a summing track stack, GUI glitches involving take folders, Freeze on busses does not unload resources.
Attached Thumbnails
Logic Pro X- Can you trust it for Audio Work?-screen-shot-2019-08-08-3.32.39-am.jpg   Logic Pro X- Can you trust it for Audio Work?-screen-shot-2019-08-05-8.40.51-pm.jpg  
Old 16th August 2019
  #37
Gear Addict
 

I’ve had FlexTime mangle audio files, and it’s been permanent (i.e., turning it off doesn’t make everything ok again). It’s very random and unpredictable, and doesn’t happen often. But I make sure I’m always working on a copy of a project, anytime I’m going to be using Flex..just in case. And I know other people who have had the same thing happen.
Old 26th August 2019
  #38
Can you trust Logic for Audio work?

Can't trust flex time. It's really bad.
Old 27th August 2019
  #39
Lives for gear
 

Issues with Flex markers are pretty common (up to complete waveform displays dissapearing in both the arrange and audio editor window). Gets even more nasty once you try to use beatmapping (which has been most excellent up until Logic 9 but a complete desaster in LPX, when I do now need to beatmap something, I fire up Snow Leopard and LP9, go figure). Add to this that Logics plain time stretching quality still isn't up to, say, Cubases.
So, depending on what you want to do to your audio, it might not be a great tool for the job (for "normal" tasks it's working rather well, though). If I would do more than record and edit single tracks, I'd probably go for something else.
Old 27th August 2019
  #40
Gear Addict
 
Doc No's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwave View Post
Can you trust Logic for Audio work?

Can't trust flex time. It's really bad.
Which Logic Version do you use? I use it all the time, no problems at all. It's even better than in Pro Tools.
Old 27th August 2019
  #41
Lives for gear
 
James Lehmann's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydaddymusic View Post
I’ve had Logic since logic 8
I've had Logic since v1.0, and Notator for the Atari ST before that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydaddymusic View Post
Does anyone use Logic for professional audio work? Can you trust it for Audio Work?
I 'use and trust' the audio side of Logic professionally, yes.

Then again, I mainly work with jazz, folk and classical recordings with musicians who, like, actually play stuff, so I've no need or time for all these fancy-schmancy time-stretching tools and beat-dicing etc. I'm not really working in a pop idiom where I suppose these production gizmos are the norm these days. I occasionally need to fix a note or remove a click - that's about as deep as I go.

As a reliable live audio recording and editing platform I can't think of any version of Logic since 7.0 that has let me down in the field.

In the studio I rely a lot on Logic's automation (excellent) and I use a few of its native plug-ins (mainly the EQ) - I discover new things it can do every day, mostly short-cuts to simplifying my workflow.

Personally I'd be quite happy if they never added another feature to Logic ever - there's enough there for me to do what I need to do and then some and I probably only use 10% of it. But I accept others might have a whole different set of requirements and expectations - e.g. I know time-stretching to fit film/TV cues etc is going to be mission-critical for many other users.
Old 27th August 2019
  #42
Like James, I've been using Logic pretty much as long there's been Logic and I also go back to Notator on an Atari. I have no issues with audio editing in Logic, I find it fast and intuitive. I work on all sorts of music here everything from jazz to Kpop style music. Honestly I don't really use flex edit for multitrack drums, I just edit them and I think using any time compression on multiple drums is difficult and also always sounds better when rendered. I find the same with Melodyne , it's ALWAYS better after I've rendered the file. Frankly I think Logic is a better production tool than PT.
Old 28th August 2019
  #43
Heh same here. Logic's always been a MIDI sequencer that happened to capture my finished audio and let me mix it when I was done. For band work, its a REALLY fancy version of my old Portastudio! I might trim a file or maybe fade out cuts or something, but thats about it. By the time it becomes an audio track, the performance part is done, its just time to put it together.
Old 28th August 2019
  #44
Lives for gear
 

Well, I guess it all depends on how you interprete the threads question.
I mean, it's absolutely safe to say that as long as all you do is track, mix and bounce, Logic is as good as pretty much anything else. There's no myterious things happening and so on.
Yet, when it comes to certain "special treatments", which seem to be very common many of nowadays productions, it might fall short. And in fact, it does. There's more than enough complaints about ARA integration, several issues with flex time, an audio editor looking like it's 1999, not-so-great timestretching, less than shiny region offline processing, etc. When you look at the direct competition (such as Cubase), you will easily notice that there's a pretty noticeable gap - which actually seems to be getting bigger and bigger.
Whether these things are relevant (fortunately, for me they aren't and Logic still outweighs them in other aspects, even if these are getting less and less, too) is something everybody has to decide on his/her own.
Old 28th August 2019
  #45
Gear Addict
 
Doc No's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck View Post
Well, I guess it all depends on how you interprete the threads question.
I mean, it's absolutely safe to say that as long as all you do is track, mix and bounce, Logic is as good as pretty much anything else. There's no myterious things happening and so on.
Yet, when it comes to certain "special treatments", which seem to be very common many of nowadays productions, it might fall short. And in fact, it does. There's more than enough complaints about ARA integration, several issues with flex time, an audio editor looking like it's 1999, not-so-great timestretching, less than shiny region offline processing, etc. When you look at the direct competition (such as Cubase), you will easily notice that there's a pretty noticeable gap - which actually seems to be getting bigger and bigger.
Whether these things are relevant (fortunately, for me they aren't and Logic still outweighs them in other aspects, even if these are getting less and less, too) is something everybody has to decide on his/her own.

lol, Cubase can't even do Multiwarp and has tons of issues, one of them is STILL the weird Hitpointdetection. ARA is buggy. Cubase must first catch up to Logic.
Old 28th August 2019
  #46
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc No View Post
lol, Cubase can't even do Multiwarp and has tons of issues, one of them is STILL the weird Hitpointdetection. ARA is buggy. Cubase must first catch up to Logic.
Gotta admit that I'm not up tp date with Cubase (my last registered version is 5.5), but when they had their 30th anniversary deals, I was watching quite some videos (non-Steinberg ones) and things seemed to go rather smoothly.
Anyhow, I don't have any plans to switch to anything else right now anyway. Might look different in the future (can't exactly digest Apples product philosophy and customer care) and in that case it might become Bitwig, simply because it seems feature the most forward thinking development team, which kinda ticks a box in me.

Whatever, apart from the mentioned beatmapping (which is completely messed up ever since the event of LPX) I'm having no serious issues with getting audio stuff done properly in Logic.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump