The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Absolute beginner to Logic Pro X DAW Software
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Absolute beginner to Logic Pro X

Ok, so far as I have seen in the absolute beginner tutorials is that you have at least some previous DAW experience or at least they assume that. Not me, I am THE absolute beginner. I just got one and they are opening and closing windows with brief explanations as they go. I need a step by step instructional that assumes up front that I don't know a freekin' thing. Anything out there that you may have had some experience with? Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Open some of the demo projects and just start exploring. Logicprohelp.com has lots of info.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Open some of the demo projects and just start exploring. Logicprohelp.com has lots of info.
Thanks for the advice. I just got off of YT absolute beginners and gets into it and say something about layers and moves on. WTF is a "layer". I know it's something simple but I am an absolute beginner.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A layer can be just another part on top. Drums are a layer, then bass, then piano etc.

Don’t forget to use the help built in Logic and I think you can turn on pop up info.
Start reading the manual...there should be a quick start somewhere. Edgar Rothermich has great manuals too.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecruiser View Post
Ok, so far as I have seen in the absolute beginner tutorials is that you have at least some previous DAW experience or at least they assume that. Not me, I am THE absolute beginner. I just got one and they are opening and closing windows with brief explanations as they go. I need a step by step instructional that assumes up front that I don't know a freekin' thing. Anything out there that you may have had some experience with? Thanks
Here’s a free Logic Pro X 10.3 course that I used along with a book and some of the Edgar Rothermich Apple Books guides.

YouTube
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Scott Hirsch's introduction to Logic tutorial on Lynda.com is very good and he explains everything pretty thoroughly so even if you've never used a DAW before I think you'd be able to understand it.

All these tutorials tend to move pretty quickly: the point is that you're supposed to hit pause while you try it out on your own computer and then once you've done that you can hit play again on the tutorial to advance. And that's really the key: just watching tutorials can help, but watching and following along is the way you really learn. By doing.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Google Searches will get you quick answers ... Logic Audio X what is a layer - Google Search

i searched Logic Audio X what is a layer .. so it seems a Layer can be defined as a ccouple different things depending on what you are working on in Logic ..

and i might watch that Yuoutube link from above just to refresh myself .. just getting back into Logic after several years .. love the new Look and Feel of the interface ..

NOTE: Logic X can be set for Basic or Advanced Features in the Preferences menu .. basic is very much like Garageband !!! simple, and then as you get more experience turn on Advanced !!! just a thought .. welcome to Logic X
Old 1 week ago
There's not a huge shortcut, just start reading, viewing, and clicking and it will fall into place soon enough.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanephil View Post
Here’s a free Logic Pro X 10.3 course that I used along with a book and some of the Edgar Rothermich Apple Books guides.

YouTube
Thanks for the YT link, it is the best I have seen yet. I have watched it and have been trying out what I have watched. Some things are making sense and some things will take some time. I remember this hurdle when I tried to take on Photoshop and Illustrator. Didn't have enough use for them as I do LPX.

Thanks again
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

and feel lucky .. it has been Dumbied Down a bit .. i think it is easier to jump into now !!! i have been using LPX in macbook pro and it feels good, getting used to the Gestures for Zooming is cool .. but i miss R & T in Pro Tools, my hand just goes there .. haha ..

Logic 4 is where i first played with it, when you had these two silly dongles hangin off your Serial Port !! .. and some Name before it became Logic, a friend had it on Atari maybe .. good times ..

and there are some great Logic Peeps here at GS .. ask your question ..pretty much the entire planet is here in some form .. !!! lots of Help !!

and i still hate Photoshop !! haha
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

There are a few things that Logic does quite differently than other DAWs. It's been awhile but I remember being confused until I figured these things out.

1) There can be multiple tracks in the Arrange that point to one Audio Channel in the Mixer. Most DAWs have a one to one relationship with each arrange track getting it's own channel strip. This can be used in a variety of ways, one example being that you can start recording on one arrange track and then jump down to another arrange track to finish the part. In the old days before the Comping feature, this was how you had to comp, with the higher track of the group getting the output. Now you just use the Comp function and select what parts you want to hear easily.

Don't overlook the Alternate Takes feature. It was added a little while back and is often not initially seen in the Arrange tracks unless you select it in Track View Options.
You can keep multiple comps, takes, edit options all one one track in Alternative Takes. Once I was done with a comp I would export comp to a new track but now I just duplicate it in an alternate take and then flatten. That way I can always go back to the comp quickly and it keeps all previous versions in the same place.

2) Quantizing can change per region or track and can be changed at anytime. You can alway separate any section of a track into a region and change the quantizing of just that. Like on an organ track with smears, I just separate out the smears and leave them un-quantized. Your input quantizing can be different too so make sure you know which quantize settings your looking at in the inspector in the upper left corner.

3) Channel strips can save a ton of time, so whenever you come up with a sound you like or a string of plugins, save that as a channel strip. I have folders of presets for different guitars even. Also learn how to import tracks and setups from other sessions. It's a great way to build up a new session quickly. Also start saving Templates of complete sessions and if you find you're constantly adding the same tracks and buses to a session, stop and create a template that can give you a starting place. I have templates for different genres, types of sessions, overdubbing only, vocal tracking...whatever.

4) tweak your key commands to something you'll remember. I set the metronome on and off to the = key since I know I'll remember that. The sooner you learn the key commands the faster you'll be focusing more on the music and less on the software.

Remember it's the Indian, not the arrow...but Logic is one kickass quiver!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
Get groove3 one month subscription. The pace of the instructor is great. If by any chance u don’t like it they will refund u

It s way way way superior than hunting good YouTube videos

Then if u want to dive in depth, Edgar s book is great but a pain in the ass to read haha
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search