The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
10.4.4 released
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Lives for gear
 

10.4.4 released

"Bug fixes and stability improvements."
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
nott's Avatar
 

Is the automation bug fixed?!?
YouTube
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Hopefully the fact this update needs just one line to explain what’s in it, as opposed to the usual very lengthy list, indicates that something much more substantial is coming very soon. In time for NAMM.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Gear Addict
 

Well, I've been having a problem where certain old LPX projects (maybe 10.2 or 10.3?) won't open correctly on 10.4.3. What happens is that I cannot create, move or delete any tracks without Logic instantly crashing. It doesn't even display any error or crashing log. It simply crashes. It is VERY upsetting. I've searched online for a fix but couldn't find any. i've tested this on three different old sessions and on three different machines in our production facility, so it isn't neither a specific machine related issue or a session specific issue. I've also tried removing every single plugin in those sessions to no avail.

I really hope Apple fixes this as backing up old sessions seem now pretty much pointless, cos I cannot revisit them without needing to create a new session and import every track from scratch. Bummer.
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Get into the habit of backing up Logic versions too:

Logic Pro X 10.4 release notes - Apple Support

This way you can always go back no problem.

Software evolves, can’t expect to always be compatable with previous versions.
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Gear Addict
 

Not that I disagree, but to me I can expect 10.3 to be compatible with 10.4. At least it should. PT is still compatible with, I don’t know, version 7 sessions?!

This is the weakest side of Apple and Logic, IMHO...
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Rufuss Sewell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpv View Post
Not that I disagree, but to me I can expect 10.3 to be compatible with 10.4. At least it should. PT is still compatible with, I don’t know, version 7 sessions?!

This is the weakest side of Apple and Logic, IMHO...
I open projects from 2005-2007 all the time. Never had a problem with that.
Old 1 week ago
  #8
007
Lives for gear
 
007's Avatar
 

Is 10.4.4 compatible with High Sierra also or does one have to migrate to Mojave?
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Is 10.4.4 compatible with High Sierra also or does one have to migrate to Mojave?
Compatible with Sierra, High Sierra, and Mojave according to the App Store.
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
I open projects from 2005-2007 all the time. Never had a problem with that.
Exactly - I open projects as far back as version 5. No idea where this idea comes from that there is no backwards compatibility.
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlavB View Post
Exactly - I open projects as far back as version 5. No idea where this idea comes from that there is no backwards compatibility.
Same here. If anything all it does is make you convert it to the newer Logic Pro X format..

The real problem with its backwards compatibility is opening old songs using VST plugins or Audio Units that don't exist/arent compatible anymore, or having MIDI tracks for hardware you no longer own/patches long gone hah.
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Gear Addict
 

I wish I was wrong, but this bug is killing us here. I hope some future version of Logic addresses it.
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpv View Post
I wish I was wrong, but this bug is killing us here. I hope some future version of Logic addresses it.
Doesn't necessarily sound like a bug (since there are plenty of us who open these files regularly with no problem). It sounds more like your song files got corrupted. Its not often, but it does in fact happen and Logic will start to act up on you.
What usually works for me, is to just open the song, make a copy with "Save As" and just use the copy from there on out. So far has worked every time I needed it. Logic has plenty of ways to import your channel settings and what not as well, in the case that you DO have to do it with a brand new song and drag every track into it. You can also try opening one of the backup versions as well. Might lose some work but perhaps you can get back to the last point before the song file got corrupted.
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Doesn't necessarily sound like a bug (since there are plenty of us who open these files regularly with no problem). It sounds more like your song files got corrupted. Its not often, but it does in fact happen and Logic will start to act up on you.
What usually works for me, is to just open the song, make a copy with "Save As" and just use the copy from there on out. So far has worked every time I needed it. Logic has plenty of ways to import your channel settings and what not as well, in the case that you DO have to do it with a brand new song and drag every track into it. You can also try opening one of the backup versions as well. Might lose some work but perhaps you can get back to the last point before the song file got corrupted.
Thanks for replying. Actually that’s the first thing I’ve tried, to no avail. Saving a copy as doesn’t get rid of the bug. I’ve never seen this before. 10.4.3 was when I first saw this happen to old sessions. It’s already happened to three, so I doubt it is a file corruption, unless I’m extremely unlucky...

Still looking for a fix.
Old 1 week ago
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpv View Post
I really hope Apple fixes this as backing up old sessions seem now pretty much pointless, cos I cannot revisit them without needing to create a new session and import every track from scratch. Bummer.
When you say "import every track from scratch" what do you mean exactly? If you are using Logic's "Import Logic Projects" command, all you have to do is shift-click or command-A to select all the tracks from the file to be imported, then option-click any one track to select all the content, plugins etc, and then "add to project" and you are done. Takes 30 seconds.

Another trick you can try is to open up Logic with no project and deselect core audio. Then open the project and it will open with no plugins enabled. Then save as to a new project file, and re-enable core audio and load it again. This is useful for seeing which plugins might be causing problems. The biggest issue I run into is old 32-bit only plugins obviously won't load and sometimes crash the session.
Old 1 week ago
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Squirrel View Post
Get into the habit of backing up Logic versions too:

Logic Pro X 10.4 release notes - Apple Support

This way you can always go back no problem.

Software evolves, can’t expect to always be compatable with previous versions.
I'm not targeting Logic on this, as they've been very good about this from what I understand, but while in real life you can't expect compatibility, you should be able to. It was once a given that you should be able to load any previous file format. Yes, I'm dating myself. The bar has been lowered.

Prime example, Acronis. They constantly want you to upgrade, but only promise to load backups from a couple of versions back. Want a file from ten years ago? You're on your own if you upgraded.

As the man says, back up, or keep the installation files from previous versions, just in case. Also, perhaps save as stems, just in case.
Old 1 week ago
  #17
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweisbin View Post
When you say "import every track from scratch" what do you mean exactly? If you are using Logic's "Import Logic Projects" command, all you have to do is shift-click or command-A to select all the tracks from the file to be imported, then option-click any one track to select all the content, plugins etc, and then "add to project" and you are done. Takes 30 seconds.

Another trick you can try is to open up Logic with no project and deselect core audio. Then open the project and it will open with no plugins enabled. Then save as to a new project file, and re-enable core audio and load it again. This is useful for seeing which plugins might be causing problems. The biggest issue I run into is old 32-bit only plugins obviously won't load and sometimes crash the session.
Many thanks. Will try this core audio trick.
Old 1 day ago
  #18
Here for the gear
 

Beware - there still seem to be some saving issues with Melodyne ARA and logic 10.4.4.

I was up late editing vocals last night and when I opened up the session this morning all my Melodyne edits were gone. It's as if it were all a bad dream, except now I have to relive it... Sigh.

Obviously deeply frustrating. Always bounce your edits before you sleep!!!
Old 5 hours ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
davey boy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollytheoctopus View Post
Beware - there still seem to be some saving issues with Melodyne ARA and logic 10.4.4.

I was up late editing vocals last night and when I opened up the session this morning all my Melodyne edits were gone. It's as if it were all a bad dream, except now I have to relive it... Sigh.

Obviously deeply frustrating. Always bounce your edits before you sleep!!!
That sounds rough! Did you update Melodyne as it just came out with a new version? I’ve gotten in the habit of bouncing down my Melodyne edits “just in case” as I don’t fully trust the recall aspect.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
SKyflash34 / Avid Pro Tools
1
Dappolito / Product Alerts older than 2 months
8
Arcadia / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
1
Dr Gruv / Product Alerts older than 2 months
24
K-Dub / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump