The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic Loop Library smaller?
Old 29th December 2018
Here for the gear

Logic Loop Library smaller?

Has Logic Pro loop library been reduced in no of loops?

I got a new Apple Mac Mini as part of a new writing setup, but didn't transfer any settings files etc from my old Mac, I noticed the new rig has quite a few loops missing I have on my old setup, I have installed all available loops etc but for some reason the new Logic Loop library seems drastically smaller than my old setup.

Anyone else seen this?
Old 30th December 2018
Lives for gear
GarageBand content?
Old 1st January 2019
rez
Lives for gear

how old was your old mac?
did you use the sound-library manager in logic to see if all the loops have been downloaded and installed and not just the around 1.2gb worth of base content?

if you previously had a version of logic before version x installed, it might be that that installation also had content from the soundtrack pro libraries in place.

to my knowledge logic x has most or even all sounds from the former logic jam packs consolidated into the factory library, but not the soundtrack pro library.

that sounds only exist if you upgrade to logic x directly from an existing full installation of logic 8 or 9 including all optional installs.

the loop library in my installation consists of 24339 objects of just apple factory content and there is a soundtrack pro entry in the loop-packs dropdown menu.

peace, rez
Old 3rd January 2019
Here for the gear

Appreciate the replies, it's not a hidden folder or Garageband content, I have had Logic a long while, but my new Mac has nothing copied from my old yet, the loop library does have the same folders as my old one, if I look in the apple loops folder, it has folders , 01 Hip Hop, 02 Electro House etc etc..it does include Soundtrack Pro but it's not just that, every folder has less standard Apple Loop audio files than my old one.

My new Library is 5 .5 GB, all the audio is now CAF files, my old library is 30gb, yet looking at my old folders, the have exactly the same names however they contain more loops, plus a lot with the same names, but the interesting thing is these are .aif files which are much larger files sizes!

If I compare two loops with the same names from the standard Hip Hop folder IE

1. Be Together Strings.aiff - 1.6 mb - old file
2. Be Together Strings.caf - 214 kb - new file

02 Electro Folder ( a lot of duplicates in here) the caf's are a tenth of the size
Ace Melody Layers.aiff - 2MB
Ace Melody Layers.caf - 256kb

It seems to me as if a lot has been deleted and what remains has been converted from hi res .aif files to a low resolution .caf , I looked up caf, it's a container for any format, could these be compressed loops? like MP3 versions of the older ones? I looked at the waveform in RX and there is a definite lower resolution in the top end, some weird aliasing is going on when comparing the two files, and the CAF defiantly doesn't sound as good as the aif. Is there a HD Apple Loop Library and a SD loop Library?
Old 4th March 2019
Here for the gear

A little update to the missing loops, chatting a mate & he couldn't believe me till I showed him his Apple Loop library compared to mine!

It's not just missing files either, here is a screen grab of the Jam Pack 1 loops, same no of files but they are now a 3rd of the sample resolution, with a null test you can clearly hear all the detail thats is now being removed from the new lower samples, looks like Apple resampled and cleared out the loop library to fit onto the tiny HD now in the new MacBook Pro's rather than offer Loop library options.. It's free loops but even so, I felt robbed when I did my clean install, I paid for Logic Pro with the huge library of Loops. I'd rather have the choice between a HD library than a SD Library than them replace the loop library with lower resolution samples!

If your new to Logic or had it re-installed it might be worth grabbing a mate who's had Logic for a while and see if you can copy their loop library. Its easy to combine the two libraries, drag one folders contents into the other and skip all existing files.

Turns out I can't post pics..here is one file compared , there are 2046 loops in the folder. I'd rather have the quality than save the space.

Old From Jam Pack 1
- 12 String Dream 01.caf 368,703 bytes (373 KB on disk)

New From Jam Pack 1
- 12 String Dream 01.caf 138,663 bytes (139 KB on disk)
Old 4th March 2019
Gear Guru

Logic Pro / Sound Library / Download all available Sounds ... OR Open Library and do it manually ..

does this help ??
Old 6th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
Logic Pro / Sound Library / Download all available Sounds ... OR Open Library and do it manually ..

does this help ??
My loop library is all up to date, trouble is to me it sees what we download now from Apple is different to what it used to be the Apple loop library is now a fifth of the size of what it was!

A lot has been removed and whats left has been resampled to lower quality to make the file sizes smaller. Fortunately I've now restored mine from a backup, thought other might like to be aware. At least thats what it seems to me, when I installed Logic on a new build.

Check your main "Apple" Loops Library and see what size it is..
Old 6th March 2019
Gear Guru

here you go .. you are forgetting about the Other Folder !! in the other Library !!

see bottom of pics for path(s) ..

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Logic Loop Library smaller?-apple-loops-folder.jpg   Logic Loop Library smaller?-logic-other-samples-folder.jpg  
Old 6th March 2019
Quote:
here you go .. you are forgetting about the Other Folder !! in the other Library !!

see bottom of pics for path(s) ..

cheers
Well, the files in /Application Support aren't the Apple Loops. Your loop library shows exactly what he's talking about. A whole 5GB of loops, where it used to be quite a bit bigger..

I just checked mine and yep, all .CAF files now. I wiped and redownloaded everything a couple months back when I upgraded to Mojave and never even noticed it because I never use them.
Old 6th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Well, the files in /Application Support aren't the Apple Loops. Your loop library shows exactly what he's talking about. A whole 5GB of loops, where it used to be quite a bit bigger..

I just checked mine and yep, all .CAF files now. I wiped and redownloaded everything a couple months back when I upgraded to Mojave and never even noticed it because I never use them.
oh man, you are going to make me ask this question .... "How Big is Yours" ??

LOL .. is your setup different .. if so, how ??

did APPLE ever move the Apple Loops Folder to this location and consolidate them ??? still searching online to see if i find something related ..

EDIT ADD INFO: my LOops Folder in LPX says 23475 items ..

EDIT ADD PIC: do you think i am missing anything ??? thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Logic Loop Library smaller?-screen-shot-2019-03-06-9.21.06-am.jpg  
Old 6th March 2019
Haha, mines not very big actually.. I only have about 700MB or so of it installed. I never use them so I just grabbed like the hip hop/breaks/electronic stuff I might actually use one day (too many unused drum loops laying around already). Its been aaaages since they were first introduced with it (I think it was Logic Pro 7 maybe 8??) but Im pretty sure they were always in the same /Library/Audio/Apple Loops location. The library was around 30 something GB I think?? Id have to dig mine out but I think Logic 8 was like 8 or 9 DVDs total. The Logic app, its plugins, and all the extras like Soundtrack, the demo songs, etc was only 2 of the DVDs. The rest were loops and Garageband Jam Packs.

Ive got a new 1TB SSD being delivered tomorrow to replace my main drive, so once I offload alot of my user folder to a new external crap, Ill have to let Logic install everything just for the heck of it and see.
Old 7th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Haha, mines not very big actually.. I only have about 700MB or so of it installed. I never use them so I just grabbed like the hip hop/breaks/electronic stuff I might actually use one day (too many unused drum loops laying around already). Its been aaaages since they were first introduced with it (I think it was Logic Pro 7 maybe 8??) but Im pretty sure they were always in the same /Library/Audio/Apple Loops location. The library was around 30 something GB I think?? Id have to dig mine out but I think Logic 8 was like 8 or 9 DVDs total. The Logic app, its plugins, and all the extras like Soundtrack, the demo songs, etc was only 2 of the DVDs. The rest were loops and Garageband Jam Packs.

Ive got a new 1TB SSD being delivered tomorrow to replace my main drive, so once I offload alot of my user folder to a new external crap, Ill have to let Logic install everything just for the heck of it and see.
yeah, it showed everything installed ... i think you are spot on with the sizes of older versions of Logic .. i have had it since v4 but used it off and on .. very on now with LPX
Old 12th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
yeah, it showed everything installed ... i think you are spot on with the sizes of older versions of Logic .. i have had it since v4 but used it off and on .. very on now with LPX
Its not just sizes some loops are missing, I did a comparison using a folder sync app and lots simply were not there, I then did a sound comparison on a few loops as the size is 50% small on average, the difference in quality is quite noticeable as I noted before.
I've ended up merging an old Loop library with the latest, feel much happy having the higher quality Apple Loops..shame Apple aren't being honest with us, they could have offered a HD Library option than just turning them all into low res MP3's.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search