The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Free gate plugin to mute noise blasts from Logic
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthbrass View Post
Is there anything known about this? Any users of other DAWs on Mac experiencing the same problem? If it is a problem that only affects Logic I am seriously considering switching to another DAW.
I've had this 700dB+ blast a few times in Reaper on Mac 10.6.4 (and possibly 10.6.8). It shows that figure in the meters. I've got screenshots somewhere. I think it was a plugin that caused it. After the first time, I set the 'Mute master above 0dB' setting in Reaper and that saves your ears/equipment. I don't think I've had the issue for a few years now. But it sounds like a Core Audio / plugin issue rather than DAW if it's happening in Logic too.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
As this seems to be a constant threat without any clue on when and how it could happen I am wondering wheter this is a core audio issue that affects all DAWs running on macOS or a Logic bug. Is there anything known about this? Any users of other DAWs on Mac experiencing the same problem? If it is a problem that only affects Logic I am seriously considering switching to another DAW.
I've been using logic since 1994 and never had the dreaded noise blast, not even once. I have over 1,100 AU plugins on my system. I always use fairly high end Macs, never laptops or iMacs, maybe that has something to do with it? Also I never use audio interfaces that connect via USB or FireWire, only MOTU interfaces that connect via PCI or Thunderbolt, and I've never had pops and clicks, noise blasts, "interface not found" occurrences, or any other weirdness. Never.

I have only heard of this happening for people using USB or FW interfaces. Maybe that's part of it?

Has anybody had this occur with PCI or Thunderbolt interfaces?
Old 27th January 2019
Yeah, same here. Ive been using Logic since about 1998/1999 and never ran into this.. Like Tui said earlier, Im guessing you have a bad plugin somewhere in there.

One thing that just popped in my head now.. You mentioned the RME UFX, how is it connected?? Theres some talk in the new Mac mini thread about peoples USB devices acting up and RME is one of the companies mentioned.. Notice Mr Clouser also mentioned that as well.. I think if Logic had regular random noise blasts, Charlie if anyone would have run into them by now (that would've made the NIN shows Ive seen a bit more interesting hahaha). Ive been using MOTU firewire stuff since the first 828 came out (and my 828MK2 as well) and never run into this either.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Ok seems that it is not a DAW problem then. The interface is connected normally via USB to the Macbook. However, I am using the Macbook since a few months (instead of the Mac Mini) and if I recall correctly the noise blasts also occur since a few months. Could be that it only happens on the Macbook and so is indeed a computer-related problem but couldn't say it with certainity because I don't know exactly whether I had the noise problem also on the Mac Mini shortly before changing computer or only on the Macbook.

Another thing maybe worth to mention is that sometimes when switching on my powerstrip the UFX goes crazy and quickly switches on and off for some seconds or a minute. So could be that it has some malfunctioning too (or something wrong with the power grid) but I doubt that this can relate in any way to the core audio issue (and it really happens only sometimes when switching on, afterwards it is stable so it does not switch off mid-session).
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

There was some talk about newer model Macs that have the T2 chip in them having issues with USB. I only have a 2012 MacBook Pro and 2013 Mac Pros, so I can't speak from experience - but it was something like this:

New Macs that have the USB-C, the touch strip, and / or TouchID use the T2 chip not only as a security device for TouchID and encryption, but for some reason also as a way to bridge between USB-C / Thunderbolt3 and old-school USB2/USB3/FireWire. When you use an Apple dongle to plug in a USB2/USB3/FireWire device into a USB-C port, the T2 chip somehow comes into play? Data from older-format connections needs to go "through" the T2 chip for security reasons, to prevent malware injections from sketchy USB devices, like those charging cables from China that someone found malware in the firmware of? Something like that. But when you use a device that has Thunderbolt1/2/3 or USB-C connectors, the data does not "go through" the T2 chip. I don't remember the exact details. But I read something about this in a thread where people were having BIG problems with newer MacBook Pros and USB audio interfaces that needed an Apple dongle to plug in. Not sure if the problems the people were having were noise blasts - I think it was more along the lines of, after XX number of minutes, their audio interfaces would start to crackle and CPU usage went through the roof. Someone traced it down to the T2 chip that's in newer models I think. This chip is in iMac Pro, and 2018 Mac Mini, MacBook Pro, and MacBook air models (and probably will be in all Macs soon).

But if your Mac is a 2018 model with T2 chip, maybe the noise blast problems are related to this issue somehow?

Although, like others, I suspect a sketchy AU plugin. I have 1,100 plugins installed but not really any sketchy / freeware / homemade ones. Even though I downloaded a bunch of freeware plugs from vst4free.com I've been afraid to install them for just this reason. (plus I have too many plugins anyway!)

But Ice9 will at least put a band-aid on the problem, right?
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Maniac

I have bought a Macbook from 2015 so it is not the new model with only usb c. I have attached the audio interface directly to it.

Also I don't think it is a sketchy plugin as I only use bought plugins or serious freeware. Only "weird" thing are 2 32bit plugins which I have converted to 64 bit with 32lives but I use them very rarely and the noise occured without them. And it occured with various plugins, last time the source seemed to be Soundtoys - Echoboy but it even happens on projects with none but logics plugins loaded.
Old 30th January 2019
Tui
Gear Guru

As mentioned earlier, incompatible or poorly coded plugins can cause noises and other issues even when they are not engaged.
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
As mentioned earlier, incompatible or poorly coded plugins can cause noises and other issues even when they are not engaged.
Huh?
Old 30th January 2019
Tui
Gear Guru

Years ago, I experienced random pops and rumbling in Logic. It took me a while to figure out that the culprit was a plugin that was sitting in the Components folder, unused. It caused noises even though it wasn't part of any projects. Removing the plugin resolved the issue.
Old 31st January 2019
Lives for gear

I've had this problem, but it's usually a 'silent blast' in my case - but the meter reads 700db or whatever.

I need to restart Logic to get any audio back
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Maniac

It happened today again, like three times, in a project and this time I was not able to find any possible source, all meters were fine and it went away when stopping playback and restarting.

I'm seriously getting annoyed by this and have no time/nerves to troubleshoot each individual plugin. I am tempted to search and buy something like Ice9 but as hardware version to put in between my Fireface and the monitor controller. Anyone knows a product that I could use?
I guess i am searching for some kind of transparent digital limiter that only affects the signal when exceeding the threshold and in that case muting it with as little attack time as possible.
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Addict

NUGEN Audio SigMod is a plugin with a Protect module. Give that a shot.
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyTheAvatar View Post
NUGEN Audio SigMod is a plugin with a Protect module. Give that a shot.
I don't think this would help if Ice9 doesn't help. The problem seems to occur outside of the signal path of the DAW and so needs something after the audio output from the computer so that any sound caused by core audio flows through it and can be killed if too high.
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Addict

If I have a noise burst that kills the audio, I go into Preferences > Audio > Devices and set the Output Device to 'System Setting' then put it back to what it was originally, and click Apply. Core Audio then restarts and restores the audio output.
Old 31st January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think this would help if Ice9 doesn't help. The problem seems to occur outside of the signal path of the DAW
Reaper catches it every time here, it's an internal setting that works on the master and tracks. Saved my ears many a time. Also a useful indication of when you're losing headroom and/or clipping. The equivalent (ICE9) should do the same job.
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Reaper catches it every time here, it's an internal setting that works on the master and tracks. Saved my ears many a time. Also a useful indication of when you're losing headroom and/or clipping. The equivalent (ICE9) should do the same job.
Hmm.. maybe it could work if I put Ice9 on the last slot of my default audio and instrument tracks, so every new track loads with an instance it already. This should block the output of each individual track going to high. If this works, i still don't understand why it wouldn't suffice having it on the master as in theory every track should go through it as well.
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Maniac

It now happened again. This time somehow all channels containing audio files from a certain samplepack (which I use since years and has never before given me issues) showed the 700+ thing.
That samplepack is saved inside a folder on my external SSD. Could this be causing the noise too, that the computer doesnt manage to stream the audio correctly from the SSD and thus goes crazy?
Old 31st January 2019
Tui
Gear Guru

Not all plugins are created equal. Some of the developers have a right cowboy attitude, when it comes to stability and safety.

As a rule of thumb, I will immediately discard any plugin that produces audible glitches when changing parameters or other uncontrollable noises. There are plenty of mature products to choose from.
Old 6th February 2019
Deleted ea69e11
i could be wrong but i traced mine back to arturia mini filter that was given away free(maybe it was a discount, i know i didnt pay 99$ for it). i had it happen a couple times about a year/1.5 years ago and i havent had it since.
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by f33 View Post
this happened to me twice after i downloaded a certain plugin. always though it was the plug. it hasnt happened since i deinstalled that plug in.

guess it was logic
What plugin was it @ f33
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

What mature products are out there @ Tui
Old 7th February 2019
Deleted ea69e11
Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
What plugin was it @ f33
minifilter V, it may not have been that plug, but it hasnt happened since, i quit using it, not a big fan of the arturia sound or guis tbh
Old 23rd September 2019
Gear Head

Does anyone know where to get Ice9?

The PluginBoutique site doesn't seem to have it anymore?

I see that it was Mac 64-bit before the developer disappeared, so it should still work.

Thanks!
Old 23rd September 2019
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj3114 View Post
Does anyone know where to get Ice9?

The PluginBoutique site doesn't seem to have it anymore?

I see that it was Mac 64-bit before the developer disappeared, so it should still work.

Thanks!
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/ice...cerberus-audio
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

That KVR link doesn't work anymore. Anyone know a place to obtain the OSX version of this plugin?

I already have Sigmod and it works fine but unfortunately the protect module adds 1.3ms of latency.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I totally ignored this thread... I just got hit with it. The white-noise static blast is real.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just saw this and thought of this thread, I see it got mentioned a couple of posts earlier but for anyone interested:

https://nugenaudio.com/sigmod

Protect speakers, ears & sanity
Insert the Protect unit across your output bus and this safety module will automatically cut in to prevent bursts of noise or feedback howls due to system errors, saving both your nerves and your speakers. Manual or auto reset options give you the level of protection you need - a real gift when working with headphones!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Sigmod works good and has a lot of other features too but it does add 1.3ms of latency for the protect feature

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search