The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does flex pitch downgrade vocal quality?
Old 12th December 2018
Gear Nut

Does flex pitch downgrade vocal quality?

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if there is an option that would keep the vocal quality in tact. I find it that flex pitch makes the vocal more dull and less rich in the highs.
Sounding slightly more muffled.. And I'm 100% there is a difference.

Thanks!
Old 13th December 2018
Here for the gear

It does indeed loose quality especially on vocals, I've stopped using it because of that, I notice it more on the tail end of vocals at lower level you can hear the sound breaking up.
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Boom View Post
It does indeed loose quality especially on vocals, I've stopped using it because of that, I notice it more on the tail end of vocals at lower level you can hear the sound breaking up.
Pff sucks, and melodyne is the only other option right? But this also lowers quality a bit?
Old 27th December 2018
Lives for gear

Yes, it does. Real time resampling the whole vocal to fix that one note in the bridge is a **** idea, Apple.

And let me be specific....flex...anything....degrades the sound of....anything. How apparent that is vs a vocal is contextual and experience based.

I predict Apple’s going to soon make it simply the way Logic operates full time so that you cant hear the loss—becuase you wont be able to toggle it on/off.
Old 29th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
And let me be specific....flex...anything....degrades the sound of....anything. How apparent that is vs a vocal is contextual and experience based.
Yes! Totally true! This is not emphasized enough. Melodyne, Pitch n' Time, Radix, anything.

Quote:
I predict Apple’s going to soon make it simply the way Logic operates full time so that you cant hear the loss—becuase you wont be able to toggle it on/off.
This has certainly occurred to me, as well. I really, really, really hope Apple doesn't do this. Honestly, I don't think they will, or at least there will be an option to turn it off.
Old 29th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2018 View Post
Pff sucks, and melodyne is the only other option right? But this also lowers quality a bit?
Well it's all destructive processing but Melodyne is way higher quality than Flex Pitch. Though it's pretty dam useful for most things.
Old 29th December 2018
Lives for gear

To be specific about my objection to FlexTune....unlike Melodyne (or insert nearly any including the native tuning in Cubase)--it changes the sound of the WHOLE track BEFORE you make an edit. Just enabling the MODE, begins to resample the track, and is lossy. So, while other tuners degrade the sound WHERE you apply the tuning....always....they aren't affecting the other 95% of the track.

Now, I will also give them credit that Apple's track level resampling doesn't sound "bad"....but, I object to taking a lead vocal that you want to change a couple notes' intonation through a full time resampler to make that happen.
Old 31st December 2018
Lives for gear

Can you turn it off by region? Does that work? That might be a solid workaround—turn it off on the track and just splice the offending line into its own region to flex pitch it....
Old 2nd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
To be specific about my objection to FlexTune....unlike Melodyne (or insert nearly any including the native tuning in Cubase)--it changes the sound of the WHOLE track BEFORE you make an edit. Just enabling the MODE, begins to resample the track, and is lossy. So, while other tuners degrade the sound WHERE you apply the tuning....always....they aren't affecting the other 95% of the track.

Now, I will also give them credit that Apple's track level resampling doesn't sound "bad"....but, I object to taking a lead vocal that you want to change a couple notes' intonation through a full time resampler to make that happen.
Eh, if it bugs you just make 2 tracks. A normal track and a flex track. Drag down the word you want to fix. No biggie.

But yeah, OP, get Melodyne. Much better.
Old 25th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2018 View Post
Well any pitch correction is destructive but Melodyne is by far one of the best sounding. Autotune Pro is good too..
Old 26th October 2019
Lives for gear

Old thread but for future readers - if you're bothered by having flex on the whole track and can hear a difference, just turn flex and follow off on all the regions (of the same track) other than the ones you're flex pitching. Chop the section out into it's own region first, of course. I usually colour those regions differently so I can tell which regions are pitched.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I find any drastic use doesn't sound good but a bit of subtle editing works. I would rather spend the time re-recording.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Personally, I wish they would remove the flex button from track headers in Logic, or betters till, allow you to hide it in track configuration. I can't be the only one who has hit that button from hell accidentally, and watched a perfectly recorded track get resampled.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search