The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Melodyne 4 with ARA 2 Logic support Utility Software
Old 28th March 2019
Here for the gear
It's kind of crazy how unreliable the new ARA Melodyne is with the latest version of Logic. So many times when I open an instance of it, the notes will fail to automatically populate like they're supposed to. I usually end up having to restart logic to get notes to show. I've also lost a good amount of work due to instability issues.
Old 28th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddahlquist View Post
It's kind of crazy how unreliable the new ARA Melodyne is with the latest version of Logic. So many times when I open an instance of it, the notes will fail to automatically populate like they're supposed to. I usually end up having to restart logic to get notes to show. I've also lost a good amount of work due to instability issues.
Pretty much my experience with it as well.
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Addict

Same problems here I’ll be working on a big session and go back to earlier edits and find they’ve completely reset. They need to at least let you lock edits or regions. You have to really bounce any edits out ASAP.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I've lost edits as well. It really isn't ready for commercial work. I recently read that the "revert to saved" command will bring back your Melodyne edits; I'll have to try that next time.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicjon View Post
I recently read that the "revert to saved" command will bring back your Melodyne edits; I'll have to try that next time.
I've tried this method with no luck. Some people have suggested that sessions created before a certain build of Logic will have these issues, but I haven't been able to reliably create a new session that didn't have problems. I'm still using the non-ARA version just to be safe.
Old 2 weeks ago
I lost 70 hours of pitch correction work in February using Melodyne ARA with Logic 10.4.4.
I have to do it all over again for free this time. It really sucks that Celemony would allow this and not at least warn serious users. Just a simple, "Hey, Logic users, please don't use ARA just yet while we sort out how ARA works with current Apple OS." That would have been fine. I would remain a customer for another several years. Not now. I am looking for a different pitch editing program for keeps. ANGRY.
I tried the "just remember to press play first" bullsh&t. Not working, and Not professional.
Now I am using the older Melodyne (NO ARA) plugin. Yes, you have to transfer the audio in first. That sucks. whatever. I go get a cup of coffee while all of the tracks transfer in one pass.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

To be honest, I'm tired of Apple not saying what the problem is and when, if ever, they will fix it. I'm not sure if the problem is a legacy one (something to do with the transport function of Logic at lower levels) or something which can be fixed from Celemony, and they do say it is something to do with Logic. So I've given up waiting for improvements in this regard.

My process is now
- use the ARA version of Melodyne
- bounce in place when done.

I'm happy with this process at the moment and it doesn't add the painful transfer time into the shenanigans. Also, it means if I _do_ happen to leave an ARA track un-bounced, all the resources are contained within the project, not in the Library location of the standard plugin edition (which caught me out countless times before ARA)

So, yeah, I mean, we can all complain about the tool - but there are also ways to work around it's current shortcomings. Do that, and you'll be a less frustrated user!
Old 2 weeks ago
Personally, ARA or standard plugin or Autotune or whatever tuning treatment, I bounce-in-place as soon as I’m happy with the tuning. I want it out the way set in stone and the plugin out of the session, to save on CPU. It isn’t like a mix feature you would go back and tweak, unless it’s more for the vibe of course.

Ps.....no offence intended and I feel for your frustration and wasted time.

Pps...... I like the idea above of saving the Melodyne files in the project folder.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

...well, FWIW, here's what has been working for me for several months now without loss...so a Disclaimer: Everything that follows is trial-and-error-anecdotal-evidence. I have no working knowledge of any of the internal operations of either program's code...just a desperate need to get on with my work...

1/ upon project open, run "play," exactly as Celemony advises, to reload the Melodyne information, do this every time without fail, don't ever forget this step......
2/ immediately run "save," just in case
3/ place Melodyne.ARA on the track and edit away...enjoy the moment
4/ then "freeze" the track
5/ then "lock" the track
........these two seem to be the magic key.....
6/ run "save" before every project "close," saving from inside the "close" option as it's doubts

...the "freeze" option has the added advantage of reducing the track to simple audio playback saving any cpu overhead. If there are changes needed later I "unlock" and "unfreeze" and am back to where I was with all of the Melodyne edits in place. Then run steps 4/5/6 without fail!...or...I don't know how or why this sequence works, I'm just grateful it does...hth.../s~
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Thanks, SteveGS! I will try this exact process. Please report back here with any glitches folks, I’m going in deep on this. This is obviously better than bouncing in place and just letting the Melodyne edits disappear.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

...please let me (and anyone else that's interested) know how it goes. For me? Still so far so good. I sent an email to Meldyne support as well...Cheers!.../s~
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search