The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moving projects to external drive ? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 31st August 2018
Gear Head

Moving projects to external drive ?

Hi Logic dudes !

So my Imac ssd drive is getting pretty full with new projects and I was hoping to move them onto an external drive, so I have enough space to install software.

Is it as simple as moving the Logic project folder to the drive ?

My old projects are all on this external drive, but I have alot of issues with "file not found search" which i am hoping to avoid with this move.

Also my old projects pop up and say Sylenth and H delay etc not found, even thought they are installed ?

Many thanks

KayD
Old 31st August 2018
Gear Addict
I keep virtually all of my Logic Pro X projects on external devices, even USB3 thumb drives. There is a very important caveat - you need to save *ALL* of the sounds in the project!

In "Project Settings" choose the "Assets" tab and make sure these are checked

Copy audio files into project
Copy EXS instruments and samples into project
Copy Alchemy audio data into project
Copy Ultrabeat samples into project
Copy Space Designer impulse responses into project
Copy Apple Sound Library Content into project

At this point you can copy/share projects with any system that has Logic Pro X installed. If you use third-party sample players, or things like EZDrummer and friends you will need to make sure you either "bounce in place" the audio for these tracks before you try to share them.

WRT Sylenth and H-Delay - are these plugins 64-bit? The version of Logic Pro that you are using is important - later versions do not support 32-bit AU plugins, so you may need to do some updating.
Old 1st September 2018
Gear Head

Thanks Facej I have bought a backup drive for my external so will give it a try when I get a chance.

I usually save my project in seperate folders and tick the include all files box.

Re: Plugins, yes I think they are 64 bit, perhaps its trying to find the older 32 bit versions as I use the 32 lives plugin for some older plugs.
Old 18th April 2019
Here for the gear

If some of the projects do not have all the boxes checked in Project Settings>Assets. Is the solution as simple as opening the project, checking the aforementioned boxes and then moving the projects to an external HD or is there more to it?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat roze View Post
If some of the projects do not have all the boxes checked in Project Settings>Assets. Is the solution as simple as opening the project, checking the aforementioned boxes and then moving the projects to an external HD or is there more to it?
Anyone have any insights into this? Thank you in advance for your time.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Open your project from wherever it is.
Check all the boxes to "include audio file"
Save a copy to the external disk.

Works like a champ

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search