The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic Pro 11
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelhead View Post
3. Session import is cool in logic but in PT it is way better. I am pro mixer and need to move through songs quickly. Only being able to import/replace one track at a time is super lame. PT does it much better being able to match tracks and import a whole session at once.
They had it in the previous version in Logic 9 "Copy Audio Configuration". Crazy that they removed it in LPX, simply stupid! The first thing I always look for in an update if they have re-introduced it. But start to lose hope. The most illogical they done to remove that feature
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have been using Logic since version 4. I am a fan. But I moved over to Pro Tools 10 years ago as my fulltime DAW because of Industry wants and needs. I have been slowly moving back to Logic because of Avids bull**** pricing structure. Apple has brought Logic a long way over the years and its pretty awsome. There is some changes and additions they need to make to fully compete against Pro Tools. If they focused a little bit more on the Pro recording industry they would gain useres in droves.

A few observations from my workflow.

1. Transients need to look more like pro tools (more detail). Editing Audio is so much easier in PT.

2. Seeing grid lines through Clips/Regions is parmount. The only way to edit audio and see the grid lines is to mute the audio tracks then you can see the lines.

3. Session import is cool in logic but in PT it is way better. I am pro mixer and need to move through songs quickly. Only being able to import/replace one track at a time is super lame. PT does it much better being able to match tracks and import a whole session at once.

4. Meters need to be resizable. they are way to skinny for my old ass eyes.

5. Faders need to be taller. It is near imposable to read the numbers on the side of the fader if your monitor is behind a control surface/board. PT hight is perfect. Make it user definable then everyone is happy.

6. Rearange tracks in the mixer is SOOOO needed.

7. Being able to drag/copy sends like plugins would be great.

If Apple made these changes I would be a very happy camper. If you know how to fix or change any of these things please post here so I can check them off my list. Like I said before Apple has done a wonderful job taking Logic into the Pro world. I think it is the best tool for writing/creating music, especially Electronic Music (Apple rember some of us non syth music guys want to use Logic as our fulltime DAW too).

Apple has been bringing some really talented people into the Logic team over the last few years so I am hopefull they will take it to another level.
Rearrange tracks in the Mixer has been spoken about on, and on, and on, and on. Since I've been Posting and it's 4 years. It would appear that this functionality is difficult to implement. Don't get me wrong, I too believe this change would be extremely welcome. Others have it, it's intuitive, what's the deal. There must be something hardwired, if you will, in the code. Recall that GB has to rely on the same code-base, so this feature/change seems to have a broader audience then just those in this room.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
You can rearrange the mixer tracks by creating an arrange track for each channel (select and right click one/several mixer channels) and then rearranging them from there. For auxes you can then use hide track if it clutters your arrange view too much.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I have been using Logic since version 4. I am a fan. But I moved over to Pro Tools 10 years ago as my fulltime DAW because of Industry wants and needs. I have been slowly moving back to Logic because of Avids bull**** pricing structure. Apple has brought Logic a long way over the years and its pretty awsome. There is some changes and additions they need to make to fully compete against Pro Tools. If they focused a little bit more on the Pro recording industry they would gain useres in droves.

1. Transients need to look more like pro tools (more detail). Editing Audio is so much easier in PT.

2. Seeing grid lines through Clips/Regions is parmount. The only way to edit audio and see the grid lines is to mute the audio tracks then you can see the lines.

5. Faders need to be taller. It is near imposable to read the numbers on the side of the fader if your monitor is behind a control surface/board. PT hight is perfect. Make it user definable then everyone is happy.

If Apple made these changes I would be a very happy camper. If you know how to fix or change any of these things please post here so I can check them off my list. Like I said before Apple has done a wonderful job taking Logic into the Pro world. I think it is the best tool for writing/creating music, especially Electronic Music (Apple rember some of us non syth music guys want to use Logic as our fulltime DAW too).

Apple has been bringing some really talented people into the Logic team over the last few years so I am hopefull they will take it to another level.
You mostly described Studio One. I wish for these too. Because I prefer Logic's neat GUI.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Regarding re-arranging tracks in the Mixer:
I've been using another strategy since I first used Logic. I simply use the Environment as a Mixer. I can re-arrange channel strips exactly as I wish, group them, leave spaces between groups etc etc. Works for me...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinS View Post
Regarding re-arranging tracks in the Mixer:
I've been using another strategy since I first used Logic. I simply use the Environment as a Mixer. I can re-arrange channel strips exactly as I wish, group them, leave spaces between groups etc etc. Works for me...
thats a great idea !!! thank you ... i just did not see a need to play in the environment in LPX .. but now i do !!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

The funny thing about #2 is that if you double-click an audio region to open the lower section Track Editor(not the Audio File Editor), you can see the grid lines through the region(as it should be) but not in the Tracks Area. Go figure... Might be a design thing where they don't find the GUI looking good. Maybe it helps the GUI not needing too much resources, I don't know.

About #6 , I think Logic devs's solution for this(which it isn't really) is to use the Single View in the mixer. Using this groups all your related strips to the selected track. Semi useful, and I don't think a lot of Logic users think about using it, sadly.

KA
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumrec.com View Post
They had it in the previous version in Logic 9 "Copy Audio Configuration". Crazy that they removed it in LPX, simply stupid! The first thing I always look for in an update if they have re-introduced it. But start to lose hope. The most illogical they done to remove that feature
I didn't realise they had removed this function as I've not realised I could have used it it myself, but just today I found a different solution. I needed to fix a project which had become semi-corrupt and would crash logic on opening, even after disabling plugins that were reported as causing the crashes. (In the end Logic would just quit itself (disappear) without any error message. Has happened to a couple of projects in the past too.)

If you go to the "all files" browser, you can import any number of specified channels you want from an existing project file. I had a project with a good number of channels and tons of plugins, auxes and busses, and it copied the whole thing perfectly in one go.

I managed to open the buggy project by turning off coreaudio. Then I could select and copy all regions in the project and paste them into the new project (that I started from a blank slate and imported the channels into). Seems to work perfectly now. Hope this might help.

...so does anybody know when Logic 10.5 / 11 is coming??
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Most of the stuff I miss in Logic is about basic composing tools, like...

- Key commands for diatonic transpose (which also would work on chords, and let us hear the result in real time, like some other apps can do)

- Key commands for inverting chords

- Something which emulates what I easily can do on a piano: If I play a chord, and can lift my hand and play it again, with one note changed, and hear what it would sound like. Some software can do that, but not Logic. This could be implemented as a key command; one which would transpose one note in a chord, but play back the whole chord every time a note is changed.

- A key previous/next command which, in a setting where chords sometimes appear in a MIDI track, would let me go back and forth between two chords, and hear all the chord notes in each chord (at the same time) when going to that chord.

- Bring back the track name function.

- User definable colours.

- Combine Project Settings and Preference into one area, and let the user (as must as possible) define of each if his choices should be global or for the current project only.

- A global bank where user ideas can be stored; ideas which would be accessible from all projects.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
Most of the stuff I miss in Logic is about basic composing tools, like...

- Key commands for diatonic transpose (which also would work on chords, and let us hear the result in real time, like some other apps can do)

- Key commands for inverting chords

- Something which emulates what I easily can do on a piano: If I play a chord, and can lift my hand and play it again, with one note changed, and hear what it would sound like. Some software can do that, but not Logic. This could be implemented as a key command; one which would transpose one note in a chord, but play back the whole chord every time a note is changed.

- A key previous/next command which, in a setting where chords sometimes appear in a MIDI track, would let me go back and forth between two chords, and hear all the chord notes in each chord (at the same time) when going to that chord.

- Bring back the track name function.

- User definable colours.

- Combine Project Settings and Preference into one area, and let the user (as must as possible) define of each if his choices should be global or for the current project only.

- A global bank where user ideas can be stored; ideas which would be accessible from all projects.
Most of that is stuff that personally I would never use, but I love the idea with prefs and project settings. But I believe that it won’t happen. Many project settings have been moved to preferences recently so as to not confuse GarageBand transitioners, who are the largest source of new Logic users.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search