The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic Pro 11
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
I just want a midi drum editor equal to or better than Cubase.
Costs obviously, but Superior Drummer has this and is where I do my drum editing in Logic!
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
Still epically in Beta but workable even now is Apogee with their FX rack in Logic. It is the closest to a super low latency, buffer independent, no second mixer, HDX like workflow (IMO). 0.3ms RTL at 96kHz (yes - really). Takes linking the plugin (Apogee FX rack) with the input channel in logic and hitting the DIRECT button. You get all the interface preamp controls, decent EQ and Comp for tracking (and mixing) that seamlessly transfers from FPGA on the interface when recording and back to the Native buffer when playing back - without the user doing anything other than hitting the REC button. Sends persist so time based FX stay in place (though they get the DAW buffer added in the headphones when recording). Hopefully this platform has a good future but it is way early to know.

I used PTHD for 12 years and HDX for 2 - this is the closest I have found to finally replacing them. BUT!!!! if I were making multiple HP mixes this would start to breakdown because at present this workflow only works when listening to the main output. For multiple low latency mixes its back to Apogees parallel mixer - like many other interfaces

PS - sure you can run Ensemble 96kHz 32 buffer at 1.2ms (used to be 1.1ms)- but so many plugins just won't run there. 96k, 128 is much better but RTL is 3.34ms - a world of difference for me from 0.35ms.
Thanks for the info! I'd love to see an Apogee Ensemble TB3 someday also. .35ms is unbelievably AWESOME!
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefridge View Post
Costs obviously, but Superior Drummer has this and is where I do my drum editing in Logic!
Unfortunately I went the Addictive Drums route. Love the sounds, but have to rely on the DAW for programming. I actually downloaded the BFD3 demo which gives me midi editing capabilty. Might have to invest at some stage.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason kalman View Post
Those that love UA, seem to move past the fact that you have to route your audio through the console rather than the host DAW. I wish there was a way you could get the same benefits that the console offers inside the host DAW. Maybe one day.

I agree that Apple moving to a subscription model would be foolish and would result in a loss of customers. It just seems all the big software companies are moving in that direction (Microsoft, Adobe, Pro Tools etc). I hope Apple resists the temptation.
It depends on what you are doing. If you are solely mixing, the Apollo is identical to a Satellite. There's no routing through Console. If you are recording, then that's when you do need to engage Console. Your facts are faulty depending on the use case.

How many times do users have tracks record-armed with desired effects included? Perhaps there is a certain group, but for the most part on the 2-Bus there's no need for Console. The Apollo interface still comes into play regarding audio playback, but that's a completely separate issue.
Old 10th September 2019
Presentation iphone 11 Pro
Logic Pro 11 Please ))

Last edited by M_Music; 10th September 2019 at 09:17 PM..
Old 21st September 2019
Gear Maniac

All paid subscription models should include at least 3 or 4 days free per month without pay.
This keeps people using the products.

*For example, with Adobe, most people won't pay the boatman to cross for a quickie. They'll just use cs6.
If a person needs Photoshop and Illustrator for some quick tweaks, the pay wall is a high wall to climb for something that probably isn't gonna pay much of at all... Like a quick flyer or something.
Now, if someone is using the products professionally day-in and day-out, maybe they can then afford it.
3 to 4 days allows someone to create a small work and make some changes if necessary.
In the case of Adobe, this free few days could be limited to 2 or 3 products at once. Some people need to use Photoshop and Illustrator after all..
This would keep fair weather graphic designers using and up to speed on latest products and smash the crack scene. It's a happy medium with benefits.
I worked in graphic design and advertising for years, but now do something else. However, occasionally, I need to do some light design work here and there. The paywall stops me from keeping up.

Cubase could benefit from this as well, even if it doesn't have a sub model (that I know of, but it practically does have one with so many paid updates). I'm still stuck on 7 because I don't use it every day. I'd like to upgrade, but I find what I need in Logic at the moment, so I don't want to fork over the cash over and over. Hell, some of the new features might even make me ultimately switch from Logic... But for now, I'm not moving. Oh yeah.. And please make Cubase look better in the meantime lol. At least give some visual options.

*I haven't looked at the Adobe pay scheme recently, but if I wanted to plague the world with a subscription-based model, this is what I'd do.

Thank you for your time.
I must now return to the planet Zarkon.
Old 23rd September 2019
Lives for gear

fuuuuc yah we need MORE be gs
Old 25th September 2019
This is a travesty, this thread is a year old, WHERE IS LOGIC XII ALREADY??? I NEED IT TO WRITE HITS FOR ME!!!
Old 25th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
This is a travesty, this thread is a year old, WHERE IS LOGIC XII ALREADY??? I NEED IT TO WRITE HITS FOR ME!!!

Old 26th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianN View Post
All paid subscription models should include at least 3 or 4 days free per month without pay.
This keeps people using the products.

*For example, with Adobe, most people won't pay the boatman to cross for a quickie. They'll just use cs6.
If a person needs Photoshop and Illustrator for some quick tweaks, the pay wall is a high wall to climb for something that probably isn't gonna pay much of at all... Like a quick flyer or something.
Now, if someone is using the products professionally day-in and day-out, maybe they can then afford it.
3 to 4 days allows someone to create a small work and make some changes if necessary.
In the case of Adobe, this free few days could be limited to 2 or 3 products at once. Some people need to use Photoshop and Illustrator after all..
This would keep fair weather graphic designers using and up to speed on latest products and smash the crack scene. It's a happy medium with benefits.
I worked in graphic design and advertising for years, but now do something else. However, occasionally, I need to do some light design work here and there. The paywall stops me from keeping up.

Cubase could benefit from this as well, even if it doesn't have a sub model (that I know of, but it practically does have one with so many paid updates). I'm still stuck on 7 because I don't use it every day. I'd like to upgrade, but I find what I need in Logic at the moment, so I don't want to fork over the cash over and over. Hell, some of the new features might even make me ultimately switch from Logic... But for now, I'm not moving. Oh yeah.. And please make Cubase look better in the meantime lol. At least give some visual options.

*I haven't looked at the Adobe pay scheme recently, but if I wanted to plague the world with a subscription-based model, this is what I'd do.

Thank you for your time.
I must now return to the planet Zarkon.
I hope indeed you went back to Zarkon.
Old 26th September 2019
Lives for gear

Apple doesn't need a subscription. All their software is probably losing money in fact ( Logic is way too cheap for what it must cost in development ), they are loss leaders in fact. They give away the software to sell the hardware, which is what the real massive profit comes from.
Old 26th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiKLover View Post
I hope indeed you went back to Zarkon.
It seems gearslutz is getting full of people who like to insult others.
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
This forum has *many* threads about that topic already.
...and here's one of them:
Logic 11 - what do you want?
IMO the new way of adding features makes sense. Instead of launching a new major release annually or bi-annually with a lot of changes (which would make troubleshooting difficult for the devs), they introduce fewer changes at a time, and instead keep adding changes for a longer period than most others do. This gives them more time to fix issues related to new code before the change the code even more. Maybe the next major release of Logic (which probably will be called Logic 11) won't happen until there's a version which runs on both iOs and MacOs devices.

Logic X was released in 2013, 6+ years ago, and we're still at Logic 10 dot 4 dot something.

It's of course nice that we get free Logic updates for 6-7 years and maybe more, but I would have preferred that Apple would have charged something for some of these updates, because there are several areas in Logic that haven't seen much development for a long time.

Apparently, there are around 100 million active Macs out there, and if "only" 1% of them (maybe there's more, maybe there's less) use Logic, introducing a paid update would bring in money that would legitimate hiring more Logic coders. $50 every two years would generate 25 million $ every year, and that certainly could cover the expenses of having a few more coders. Most people using a DAW can afford $25 a year on updates.

I bought Cubase and Dorico at some point, since the development in the score area and features related to composing and use of virtual instruments didn't happen much in Logic, but went back to Logic, since Dorico was far from being ready when it was released, and Cubase - while being a good DAW - had too many workflow bottlenecks and UI that was everything but self-explanatory (for me). So I really hope the Logic development (in terms of features and UI improvements) will speed up - along with solid development in the stability and performance area.
Old 7th October 2019
I'm pretty sure we can expect all legacy FX and instruments to receive updated GUIs before any paid update. There has been a continuous flow of updates since 10.0.

I'm also confident that Redmatica's Andrea was hired for EXS. If you look at the newer instruments, I get the impression that there is an improved version of EXS underneath already. With scripting. And the CamelAudios are probably working in the DSP development team on new FX and instruments.

Apple are also constantly throwing in additions for Drummer, although, last time I checked, it still doesn't really support anything besides 4/4 and variable swing. Not sure it can shuffle, not sure it can play triplet feel. And for it to be really useful, it would greatly benefit from being able to react to some sort of 'instructions' along the timeline. Be it automation, markers, key switches, or anything else. That way, you could draw together a more realistic performance. Ideally with dynamics changes within a clip. And what would be even better: feed a (MIDI) groove into Drummer and have it create parts from it.

As for something like the Ableton Live Session view: even though I'd like to have it, I'm pretty sure *that* is something for a paid upgrade. Paid upgrades, on the other hand, would probably require the AppStore to support upgrade pricing.
Old 8th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medienhexer View Post
I'm pretty sure we can expect all legacy FX and instruments to receive updated GUIs before any paid update. There has been a continuous flow of updates since 10.0.
Im still betting Behringer will have released their entire line of cloned synths and drum machines and they will be IN stores before Apple ever updates EXS or Ultrabeats GUI. One day though. Its only been what, about 17 years or so since the "Mark II" version came out..
Old 8th October 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
All their software is probably losing money in fact ( Logic is way too cheap for what it must cost in development ), they are loss leaders in fact.
Whilst there is some sense to it being true, do you have any evidence to support this "fact"? Cheers.
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocreeper View Post
Whilst there is some sense to it being true, do you have any evidence to support this "fact"? Cheers.
Apple used to charge more than a 100$ for new versions of Mac OSX, then they started giving it away for free ( that started under Steve Jobs, before he died ), Logic used to cost almost 1000$ for the full package when it was under the Emagic label, then Apple bought the company ( and killed the PC version) and now you buy it for 200$ and you get free updates for almost decades, The iWork suite is now free, etc..

There is no way a normal software company could survive doing that. A big hardware company ( which is what Apple really is ) can afford to give away the software to make the hardware even more enticing, especially when the software is exclusive to that platform ( they killed the PC versions for Logic, Shake, etc..). And developping a computer operating system or a complex software like Logic isn't cheap..

Last edited by spaceman; 8th October 2019 at 08:11 AM..
Old 8th October 2019
Here for the gear

You can bet that when Logic 11 finally comes it will only be compatible with Catalina and forward.
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulven View Post
You can bet that when Logic 11 finally comes it will only be compatible with Catalina and forward.
Yeah, I'm afraid that will be the case...
I always keep my production machines 6 months to 1 year behind new versions of the OS. I only upgraded to Mojave a few months ago.
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocreeper View Post
They make up the losses on the sale of that 999€ stand for the new Mac Pro

Cdlt
Old 8th October 2019
Lets not forget anyone moving to Catalina (or buying a new Mac in a couple months) is probably not going to be able to do alot audio wise heh. Reading about all the changes that have to be made just to INSTALL stuff now is pretty much going to leave everyone dead in the water until everyone rebuilds their apps with the new signing stuff and whatnot. This is one of those times when everybody really needs to listen to all those emails that are getting sent out now saying 'DONT UPGRADE OUR STUFF WILL NOT WORK'. Who knows, maybe theyre trying to weed out pirates or something but it seems to me like theyre going out of their way to make things difficult for any long time developer to just jump in and move forward. Its not even an architecture change like the PPC->Intel move, they've just made it impossible for you to install anything that wasn't made specifically for that OS now.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

You all seen this?
Attached Thumbnails
Logic Pro 11-ca49c30e-efca-445c-859e-09b5fdbf8898.jpeg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiboko View Post
You all seen this?
where is this from?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiboko View Post
You all seen this?
This looks like a fake Logic, Live & Farbfilter mashup.
However I hope the next version of Logic will finally have an updated audio & midi preview in the file browser (immediate play /in sync)...
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 46c206d
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.lindqvist View Post
This looks like a fake Logic, Live & Farbfilter mashup.
However I hope the next version of Logic will finally have an updated audio & midi preview in the file browser (immediate play /in sync)...
Unless Apple bought up Fabfilter as it did Camel Audio lol. Imagine that, it would be hilarious. Anyway that pic is obviously fake af
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
Apple used to charge more than a 100$ for new versions of Mac OSX, then they started giving it away for free ( that started under Steve Jobs, before he died ), Logic used to cost almost 1000$ for the full package when it was under the Emagic label, then Apple bought the company ( and killed the PC version) and now you buy it for 200$ and you get free updates for almost decades, The iWork suite is now free, etc..

There is no way a normal software company could survive doing that. A big hardware company ( which is what Apple really is ) can afford to give away the software to make the hardware even more enticing, especially when the software is exclusive to that platform ( they killed the PC versions for Logic, Shake, etc..). And developping a computer operating system or a complex software like Logic isn't cheap..
Thank you. It's really good reasoning and your theory is likely to be correct, your repeated use of the word fact made me curious if it was based on specific knowledge.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
There are some functions I find wonderful in Logic. The import tracks from another project dialog, where you can filter content/plugins/routing etc, the channel strip presets, the channel inspector are I think all very well designed.

I've been trying to switch to Cubase for a few months, but there are some serious drawbacks. I cannot import tracks from other projects like Logic. I cannot bounce a wav and an mp3 at the same time. Track presets are a mess.

If only logic had a search tracks feature and a nice track list like Cubase, and made disabling/enabling tracks a little bit easier, and gave us multiple cc lanes in piano roll, I would ve extremely satisfied.

Still using protools for scoring btw... Hard to beat the audio editing on that daw I think...

I.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianN View Post
It seems gearslutz is getting full of people who like to insult others.
My comment was said in jest, following the cadence of your stream. It wasn't intended to be harsh. I got a kick out of your Post.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiKLover View Post
My comment was said in jest, following the cadence of your stream. It wasn't intended to be harsh. I got a kick out of your Post.
What do you expect from a guy who cannot spell “music?” ?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I have been using Logic since version 4. I am a fan. But I moved over to Pro Tools 10 years ago as my fulltime DAW because of Industry wants and needs. I have been slowly moving back to Logic because of Avids bull**** pricing structure. Apple has brought Logic a long way over the years and its pretty awsome. There is some changes and additions they need to make to fully compete against Pro Tools. If they focused a little bit more on the Pro recording industry they would gain useres in droves.

A few observations from my workflow.

1. Transients need to look more like pro tools (more detail). Editing Audio is so much easier in PT.

2. Seeing grid lines through Clips/Regions is parmount. The only way to edit audio and see the grid lines is to mute the audio tracks then you can see the lines.

3. Session import is cool in logic but in PT it is way better. I am pro mixer and need to move through songs quickly. Only being able to import/replace one track at a time is super lame. PT does it much better being able to match tracks and import a whole session at once.

4. Meters need to be resizable. they are way to skinny for my old ass eyes.

5. Faders need to be taller. It is near imposable to read the numbers on the side of the fader if your monitor is behind a control surface/board. PT hight is perfect. Make it user definable then everyone is happy.

6. Rearange tracks in the mixer is SOOOO needed.

7. Being able to drag/copy sends like plugins would be great.

If Apple made these changes I would be a very happy camper. If you know how to fix or change any of these things please post here so I can check them off my list. Like I said before Apple has done a wonderful job taking Logic into the Pro world. I think it is the best tool for writing/creating music, especially Electronic Music (Apple rember some of us non syth music guys want to use Logic as our fulltime DAW too).

Apple has been bringing some really talented people into the Logic team over the last few years so I am hopefull they will take it to another level.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search