The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone interested in my new benchmark to replace the dated Evan's test?
Old 30th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
Getting 100 tracks at 128 buffer setting. i7 8700 hack with Rx 580 GPU, 1TB Samsung EVO boot SSD.

D
Dor, I have built PCs back in the days and was wondering if the Hackintosh is a viable option and do you know if they are compatible with the latest Apogee hardware? When I see the kind of performance you're getting it makes me wanna go back to custom built machines, with my MPB 2015 15" top of the range I am only getting 33 tracks with 128 buffer.
Old 30th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAV View Post
Tried with Mac Mini 2018 (6core i7)

83 Tracks smooth playback at 128 | 44.1
Thanks for sharing, I have a 2015 MBP 15" 2.8 Ghz i7 16GB and I am only getting 33 tracks at 128 / 44.1.

Are you happy with the Mac Mini's performance and do you know if it will cope well with FCP by any chance? The MBP has dedicated graphics so that's the only plus I can see thus far.
Old 16th March 2019
I'm just curious anyone thinks the MBP 2018 hexa runs too hot? there are those horrible videos on YT bashing the new MPB, and how Apple did stupid miskates on such an expensive machine ( too powerful proc , no cooling ).

How about in clamshell mode?
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Anyone tested Macbook Pro 2019 i9 8 core?

Would love to see how this machine performs on this newer benchmark.
Old 5th June 2019
the new 8 core macbook appears at 2mn30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlGZ0zCMdoM
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Hi, Is this the new benchmark test or Evan's one? Also most results tend to be @ 128 Buffer and yours seems to be @ 512, which changes a lot in the perception...
Still...thanks for answering
Old 5th June 2019
it's not "mine".
this guy called it "June test - EvanLogicBenchmark Modified 24bit 96khz buffer at 512" with is written in the video.

still this gives an idea. let's see now from users on this exact benchmark. but the computer is new so we might have to wait
cheers
Old 8th June 2019
There is now a MacOS update that apparently helps audio on 2018 (it says) and I suppose 2019 MacBook Pro.
Old 11th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krubbadoo View Post
Would love to see how this machine performs on this newer benchmark.
I have the 8 core model and got 66 tracks.
Old 11th June 2019
ten cent cat, is talking about his MacBook Pro 2019 8-core i9 btw

I put the 10.14.5 update (they mention audio latency bug fix) on my MacBookPro 6 cores 2018 I7 at 2,2 ; 16go RAM ; 512 SSD.

I get 60 tracks, very strange how people used to get 75 tracks with the same machine a few months ago.

(I was at 28 tracks with my 2013 quad i7 MacBook Pro, and 43 tracks for my 2012 quad I7 Mac mini, impressive ! )

Last edited by DownSideUp; 11th June 2019 at 09:05 PM..
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp View Post
ten cent cat, is talking about his MPB btw

I put the 10.14.5 update (they mention audio latency bug fix) on my MBP 6 cores 2018 I7 at 2,2 ; 16go RAM ; 512 SSD.

I get 60 tracks, very strange how people used to get 75 tracks with the same machine a few months ago.

(I was at 28 tracks with my 2013 quadi7 MBP, and 43 tracks for my 2012 quad I7 mini, impressive ! )
I got 76 (same spec as yours but 1TB SSD) with firewire IIRC and haven't looked since ... what's an MPB - the 8 core reference is confusing - I can't believe I'm getting better than an 8 core?
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Hackintosh: 8-Core i7-7820x @ 3600Mhz with 4200 turbo on all cores, 32GB DDR4 RAM 2666MHz, U-Phoria UMC204HD USB AD/DA, OSX 10.13.5
Number of Tracks: 191 (full loop over and over)
Buffer: 128 samples
Buffer: Medium
Resolution: 44100Hz

I would like to see any Ryzen 2700X Hackintosh result :D
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone interested in my new benchmark to replace the dated Evan's test?-perftest.jpg  
Old 11th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post
I got 76 (same spec as yours but 1TB SSD) with firewire IIRC and haven't looked since ... what's an MPB - the 8 core reference is confusing - I can't believe I'm getting better than an 8 core?
I corrected the MPB, I meant Macbook pro 2019. only 66 is weird. is it an OS problem?

that's a big difference with yours ! and mine was cooled next to the window, rain weather and nice breeze cooling it off. certainly not bad conditions to work properly.

what MacOS version have you installed?

I definitely can't go beyond 60 tracks. just turned on the MacBook Pro 2018, no wifi, no applications open, clean Logic start up, 128 buffers, medium buffers, 44,1 kHz. cool temperature in the room, laptop in my hand, cooling fine.
last MacOs and Logic Pro versions. brand new machine and not much on the computer.

at 61 tracks the fan goes up and it stops. not happy ! that 22% less that all users of the similar machine.

Last edited by DownSideUp; 11th June 2019 at 09:26 PM..
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I corrected the MPB, I meant Macbook pro 2019. only 66 is weird. is it an OS problem?

that's a big difference with yours ! and mine was cooled next to the window, rain weather and nice breeze cooling it off. certainly not bad conditions to work properly.

what MacOS version have you installed?

I definitely can't go beyond 60 tracks. just turned on the MacBook Pro 2018, no wifi, no applications open, clean Logic start up, 128 buffers, medium buffers, 44,1 kHz. cool temperature in the room, laptop in my hand, cooling fine.
last MacOs and Logic Pro versions. brand new machine and not much on the computer.

at 61 tracks the fan goes up and it stops. not happy ! that 22% less that all users of the similar machine.
OK DSD,

So I'm now wondering what's up. Having updated to 10.14.5 at some point and not having checked since, I'm now seeing 59 tracks regardless of 128 or 256 buffer setting without any other optimisation as far as heat or programs (it's on its usual surface and other apps off however). I seem to have lost a significant track count since I first posted, although the buffer seems to make no difference. I'm possibly not as pissed off as if I'd just bought an 8 core and only had 7 tracks more however ... it's late here in the UK and I just tried this quickly because your post prompted me, so I'll look again, but something's not quite straight. I hope this is something straightforward, because Apple hasn't been in my good books for years despite me still dropping a significant amount of cash for my 2018 1TB MBP ...
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

And now just to add ... because I had to check before signing off ... Intel Power gadget is reporting a continuous core frequency of 3.3 at 100 degrees Celsius on my 2.2 6 core I7to achieve this ... time for bed ... for now ... :(
Old 12th June 2019
Quote:
OK DSD,

So I'm now wondering what's up. Having updated to 10.14.5 at some point and not having checked since, I'm now seeing 59 tracks regardless of 128 or 256 buffer setting without any other optimisation as far as heat or programs (it's on its usual surface and other apps off however). I seem to have lost a significant track count since I first posted, although the buffer seems to make no difference. I'm possibly not as pissed off as if I'd just bought an 8 core and only had 7 tracks more however ... it's late here in the UK and I just tried this quickly because your post prompted me, so I'll look again, but something's not quite straight. I hope this is something straightforward, because Apple hasn't been in my good books for years despite me still dropping a significant amount of cash for my 2018 1TB MBP ...
bumming ! we can't even compare to the 8 core under those circumstances. let's check it out with Apple.
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Addict
I'm getting 64 tracks on the same 6 core i9 from last year that got me 75 at the time. I’m also still running the exact same OS as I was then because a security update released in November caused audio glitches on my machine and I rolled back.

This makes me wonder something I’ve suspected about the MB for a long time.. That performance degrades over time due to overheating issues MacBooks have had for years. Every Macbook I’ve owned since 2011 seems to loose juice as it ages… No proof of this per se, but it is in line with the kind of stuff you see Louis Rossman b***h about regularly on his channel…

Could also be due to new Intel security flaws discovered this year that were even more aggressive than Spectre and Meltdown. No idea, but would be one other possibility.

Anyway I’m going to install the newest 10.13 update (released the same day) as the last Mojave update and see what happens. Should partly answer whether newer updates have been degrading performance.
Old 13th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdeadbaby View Post
I'm getting 64 tracks on the same 6 core i9 from last year that got me 75 at the time. I’m also still running the exact same OS as I was then because a security update released in November caused audio glitches on my machine and I rolled back.

This makes me wonder something I’ve suspected about the MB for a long time.. That performance degrades over time due to overheating issues MacBooks have had for years. Every Macbook I’ve owned since 2011 seems to loose juice as it ages… No proof of this per se, but it is in line with the kind of stuff you see Louis Rossman b***h about regularly on his channel…

Could also be due to new Intel security flaws discovered this year that were even more aggressive than Spectre and Meltdown. No idea, but would be one other possibility.

Anyway I’m going to install the newest 10.13 update (released the same day) as the last Mojave update and see what happens. Should partly answer whether newer updates have been degrading performance.
Thanks, yeah that's really weird then. I usually have old stable machines on an OS that is one version late. in this case: buying a new machine I just went for the new os. disappointing for now !
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Head

Just for fun I rechecked my results. 70 tracks now vs 72 then on an i7 2.2, 32GB, 560x, 1TB. Only difference between my earlier test and this is LPX 10.4.1 -> 10.4.4. Running 10.13.6 & I have *not* installed any security patches after the 2nd supplemental update for the 2018 machines from late August/early September.
Old 13th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dven View Post
Just for fun I rechecked my results. 70 tracks now vs 72 then on an i7 2.2, 32GB, 560x, 1TB. Only difference between my earlier test and this is LPX 10.4.1 -> 10.4.4. Running 10.13.6 & I have *not* installed any security patches after the 2nd supplemental update for the 2018 machines from late August/early September.
Thanks, I7 2.2 of how many cores ? in what machine? year ?
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks, I7 2.2 of how many cores ? in what machine? year ?
Oops. Sorry! 2018 MBP 6-core
Old 13th June 2019
Quote:
Oops. Sorry! 2018 MBP 6-core
cool thanks ! there is definitely something going on either with the last MacOS or Logic 10.14.4 , or both !!
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Head

Could be the Intel mitigation stuff that's causing the difference. Those were in the security patches that I haven't installed and in 10.14......
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
cool thanks ! there is definitely something going on either with the last MacOS or Logic 10.14.4 , or both !!
I still haven't got around to upgrading from logic 10.4.2!
Old 13th June 2019
Quote:
I still haven't got around to upgrading from logic 10.4.2!
Quote:
Could be the Intel mitigation stuff that's causing the difference. Those were in the security patches that I haven't installed and in 10.14......

it certainly is a Mojave security thing then ! I usually always have one Os late and a few logic versions late. this time im deep in it! I also have one computer now, its workable; hopefully they ll adresse it soon.
Old 14th June 2019
Well it was Logic
Logic 10.4.5 is out ! there is finally 12 sends, new plugins etc AND it uses ALL my threads (minus one). much better.

MBP i7 at 2.2 , 6 cores. 2018. I can get 73 tracks to play.

as advised @ 128 buffer. medium size buffer. 44.1khz

Last edited by DownSideUp; 14th June 2019 at 11:46 AM..
Old 14th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten cent cat View Post
I have the 8 core model and got 66 tracks.
curious what your score is now Logic 10.4.5 fixed some CPU problems.
Old 14th June 2019
Here for the gear

Mac Pro 12 core 3.46 - Logic Pro 10.4.5, OSX 10.13.6
117 tracks @ 128 buffer, large process buffer internal audio
121 tracks @ 128 buffer, large process buffer, Apogee interface
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboomish View Post
Mac Pro 12 core 3.46 - Logic Pro 10.4.5, OSX 10.13.6
117 tracks @ 128 buffer, large process buffer internal audio
121 tracks @ 128 buffer, large process buffer, Apogee interface
Nice, are you planning on sticking with the 5,1 12 Core Mac Pro for a while?

How's the noise with it, mine's a noisey beast. Not sure it was always that way....
Old 14th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
Nice, are you planning on sticking with the 5,1 12 Core Mac Pro for a while?

How's the noise with it, mine's a noisey beast. Not sure it was always that way....
try changing the fan for a more silent one shouldn't be too difficult to do.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search