The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone interested in my new benchmark to replace the dated Evan's test?
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.margiotta View Post
Thank you for the updated benchmark -

For any of those curious - Heres my results with the 2018 MBP i9 with 32GB RAM 1TB internal SSD and maxed out video card -

71 tracks @ 44.1 128 Medium Buffer
22 tracks @ 96k 128 Medium Buffer - Clean Playback
Frequency was clocking 3.3-3.6 Ghz occasional 3.8ghz.

I was hitting the wall on a session I was producing and mixing yesterday on this machine but after the benchmark it does seem to be right in line.

The session was 28 tracks @ 96k with 3 Vi's - a logic stock drum kit, the logic b3 and 1 instance of Kontakt action strikes (shaker)

Full automation written across most all of the tracks, LOTS OF UAD across the tracks from Lexicon, Manley, and the Studer. A few LA-2a's. It did also have quite a few tracks with flex time enabled (bass, a few of the guitar tracks, etc) and 3 sends with verb - UAD Lexicon, logic space designer, and sound toys little plate. Nothing on the stereo bus or the separate send mix bus.

I was disappointed to be hitting the wall at that low of track count on a $4k+ brand new Mac but I do have to remember:

1. its 96k its obviously going to be a hog.
2. there are many things I wasn't doing to help alleviate the strain- bouncing in place my flextimed tracks, utilizing track freezing, etc.
3. While I really would love the performance of the iMac Pro (I just upgraded from a rock solid iMac for my studio computer) - I cant stand the 27" display your stuck with, and the size of it is near impossible to take with you anywhere. One thing to love about the Mac Pro 2013, you can take it with you around the world to studios youll be working out of for an extended period of time!

Im hoping the new Mac Pro is similar in that it is either modular or relatively easy to ship/transport. One thing I DO really love about the 2018 mbp.

Im looking forward to putting the benchmark through its pace on other machines.
Are you only getting 71 tracks? I see Dr Jezz with the 2.2 2018 MBP is getting 76?
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
Are you only getting 71 tracks? I see Dr Jezz with the 2.2 2018 MBP is getting 76?
I don't know, but I think that may have been before the update to cure the throttling at high temps/speed. Either way, like I've said a few times, I've gambled on the slower processor for fear of being rate limited by temperature rather than spend the extra for little reward. I may come to regret it, but the Mac mini is already faster and there are better graphics coming in weeks, so I'm already second class after a few weeks of ownership - it was ever thus
Old 13th November 2018
Dor
Lives for gear

Getting 100 tracks at 128 buffer setting. i7 8700 hack with Rx 580 GPU, 1TB Samsung EVO boot SSD.

D
Old 16th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Mac Pro 5,1 - 3.33GHz X 12 - 20GB Ram - OS X Sierra - Metric Halo ULN-8 3d Ethernet - SSD OS

Buffer @256
@ 44.1khz = 106 tracks @ 96khz = 37 tracks
Old 18th November 2018
Gear Addict
2018 i9 MBP, 32 GB RAM, 560x.
Logic 10.4.2, High Sierra (w/ supplemental patch installed...)

128 Buffer, 44.1.

75 tracks stable.

Hit 77 when opening the session fresh, once the fans are really kicking 75 tracks run stable. Temp definitely has an impact....

Can't complain though, smokes any laptop I've ever had.
Old 18th November 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdeadbaby View Post

128 Buffer, 44.1.

75 tracks stable.

Hit 77 when opening the session fresh, once the fans are really kicking 75 tracks run stable. Temp definitely has an impact....

Hi thanks for ur report. Any chance u can provide the same results but with ur interface connected and at 96 k too? Thank u
Old 18th November 2018
Lives for gear

No 2018 Mac Mini users want to chip in?
Old 18th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

128 Buffer, 44.1.

75 tracks stable.

Nice machine I posted 76 with a new i7 MBP, but that was probably already with Mojave now that I come to think of it - maybe the new OS would bump you up a bit?
Old 19th November 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post
Nice machine I posted 76 with a new i7 MBP, but that was probably already with Mojave now that I come to think of it - maybe the new OS would bump you up a bit?
Quite possible... Unfortunately there's still a handful of plugin developers I rely on that haven't announced Mojave compatibility yet. Since I work in production music can't really risk jumping to an OS only to find out I've got template problems...

Curious though... Were you on HS 1st and did you see a bump at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeltn86 View Post
Hi thanks for ur report. Any chance u can provide the same results but with ur interface connected and at 96 k too? Thank u
I don't use an interface with my laptops...(Have a Metric Halo tethered to my Mac Pro, but I've always used built in audio on my MacBooks. Use them for getting out of the house and sketching or fleshing out ideas... Not a huge fan of lugging an interface around unless I need to...) Pretty sure the track counts going to vary from interface to interface too... I can do a 96k built in test though NP.

Also, it's insane how much CPU power's in these new MacBook Pros... I was skeptical it'd only amount to a small performance bump in Logic, the new processors really are no joke.
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quite possible... Unfortunately there's still a handful of plugin developers I rely on that haven't announced Mojave compatibility yet. Since I work in production music can't really risk jumping to an OS only to find out I've got template problems...

Curious though... Were you on HS 1st and did you see a bump at all?
I think I may have gone straight to Mojave since my old machine is still set up and I'm starting from fresh on this one and reinstalling just what I need, as I had way too much on there. Not cloning this time. I'll see how long that lasts ...
Old 20th November 2018
Gear Nut

Anxious to see Hackintosh Z390 I9-9900K users here in the future, posting their benchmarks
Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krubbadoo View Post
As some other folks here I get a reliable 116 tracks @ 128 buffer 44.1khz on my 5,1 Macpro.
I did the test again but this time with my old metric halo uln-n fw400 device @ same buffer and sample rate and could get a reliable 110 tracks. I thought it would perform worse than that! Both tests were done with the last track being record armed. Really anxious to see how the 2018 Mini 3.2 will perform on this test.
Interestingly Husak with his 2018 Mac Mini 3.2 over here is saying he gets abouts 80 tracks at 44.1 khz and 26 tracks at 96 khz..

I am scratching my had why such low track counts for the Mac Mini....
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear

@ Chevron , 80 tracks at 64 buffer is not so bad.
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krubbadoo View Post
@ Chevron , 80 tracks at 64 buffer is not so bad.

I know, I know and maybe my expectations are too high for the new 6 Core Mini, but taking the Geekbench scores and comments from the Pro Tools users FB group in to consideration, honestly I thought it would perform better in the Logic tests and a little surprised it doesn't in comparison to the 5,1 machines. If it isn't giving me more power than 5,1 Mac I don't see the need to switch. Especially with the Imac and Mac Pro looking to surface next year..
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Will probably hold on to my old tower too and get a macbook pro as I want a laptop. In real world DAW work, the mini doesnt seem that much more powerful than the macbook pro 2018. In single core for big VSTis, this is where my old 5,1 lacks a bit of power though. I feel it more in Logic than with Reaper. But much more fun composing in Logic IMO
Old 25th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Gave the test a whirl with my Hackintosh running a 4790K and 16GB ram. Interface used - Zoom UAC-8

managed to get it to sit comfortable at these track counts without any overload messages.

62 tracks @ 44kHz 64 Medium Buffer
22 tracks @ 96kHz 64 Medium Buffer
Old 26th November 2018
Here for the gear

For your information. I ran the test with 44.1 kHz, 128 latency, medium buffer, on an i7 Mac mini with 32 GB and I can run 91 tracks consistently on the onboard sound card.
As a comparison I run 51 tracks consistently on my 2016 MBP with highest specs at the time (so 2,9 Ghz i7, 16 GB memory).

So the Mac mini performs significantly higher than the 2018 MBPs (75-ish tracks?) which would be expected, although the 2018 MBP's compare really good to previous iterations. I always think that Cinebench CPU R15 test predicts DAW performance really well and indeed the TNM test shows similar figures. Cinebench scores are 1300 on the Mac mini, vs 900-1100 on the i7 or i9 2018 MBPs. My 2016 MBP for comparison has a 740 Cinebench CPU score.

I was really interested in this Mac Mini for professional DAW use and for now it seems to work out fine. MacOS Mojave is behaving fine also with Ableton and Logic installed. The machine stays really quiet.
So the mini performs worse in this test then the 2010 maxed out Mac Pro with its 100 tracks as shown by another member, and perhaps on a similar level as the 2013 top spec Mac Pro?
Old 26th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezcharleso View Post
For your information. I ran the test with 44.1 kHz, 128 latency, medium buffer, on an i7 Mac mini with 32 GB and I can run 91 tracks consistently on the onboard sound card.
As a comparison I run 51 tracks consistently on my 2016 MBP with highest specs at the time (so 2,9 Ghz i7, 16 GB memory).
Thanks for posting. That's comparable to the 94 tracks on my 5,1 2.93ghz 12 core Mac Pro and impressive for a small machine and very capable for DAW usage. I run large 100+ Pro Tools mixing sessions and medium size Ableton session for writing - and in reality both are managed with ease. Unless I start using very high oversampling rates in plug ins like Fabfilter Limiter 2 or Oeksound Soothe.
Old 26th November 2018
Gear Head

2017 iMac Pro Base Specs:

128/Med Buffer

166 tracks @ 44.1

73 tracks @ 96
Old 26th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingboy9000 View Post
2017 iMac Pro Base Specs:

128/Med Buffer

166 tracks @ 44.1

73 tracks @ 96
Now that is some impressive results. Do you ever hear the fans firing up?
Old 26th November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
Now that is some impressive results. Do you ever hear the fans firing up?
Haha - I actually had a really loud oscillating fan running in my lounge while I was doing the test so have no idea - don't think so - however I'll run the test again in a quiet room in the next week or two and let you know.
Old 28th November 2018
Lives for gear

I'm just cross posting from the Mac mini 2018 thread where someone posted 80 tracks at 44.1:

"I just tried my 2.2 2018 MBP at 44.1 KHz and I was down to 66 from the 76 tracks at 128 that I previously posted (all else standard to the TNM download). Interestingly, my temp was hovering just around 80 - 81 degrees though where your machine was around 94. It looks like the MBPs really are throttling down to keep the temperature lower when the mini isn't. Still on this new TNM benchmark I'm happy with a portable machine that doesn't get too hot, although I had to wait for the fans to spin up ... and they were noisy as you'd expect. The fact that we're seeing the same kinds of track counts across the range for the new MBPs regardless of base clock speed (which is what I'd gambled on when getting the base still with a pricey 1TB SSD) may well be down to temp. regulation - but who knows what will be posted by the next MBP owner with the i9. Interested to see the comparisons."
Old 28th November 2018
Lives for gear

Machine spec: 12-core 3.46GHz Mac Pro Tower 4,1 ->5,1, 48GB RAM (1333MHz), Logic 10.4.2, OS 10.12.6. SSL MadiXtreme64 PCIe sound card.

96KHz: 45 Tracks
44.1KHz: 115 Tracks

Not too far off what's expected from increasing processing by 2.16 times (going from 44.1 to 96KHz) - but still more optimised at 44.1

LARGE Buffer Range, 128 samples i/o buffer. Changing to 1024 samples made no difference at either sample rate. Changing multithreading to 'Playback' only made things worse. I didn't try 'Built in Output'.

Edit:

Changing to 'Medium' buffer range changed results to:

96KHz: 41 Tracks
44.1KHz: 111 Tracks

(Changing to Built In Output made no difference)

Last edited by The Beatsmith; 28th November 2018 at 11:29 PM..
Old 28th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
Machine spec: 12-core 3.46GHz Mac Pro Tower 4,1 ->5,1, 48GB RAM (1333MHz), Logic 10.4.2, OS 10.12.6. SSL MadiXtreme64 PCIe sound card.

96KHz: 45 Tracks
44.1KHz: 115 Tracks

Not too far off what's expected from increasing processing by 2.16 times (going from 44.1 to 96KHz) - but still more optimised at 44.1

LARGE Buffer Range, 128 samples i/o buffer. Changing to 1024 samples made no difference at either sample rate. Changing multithreading to 'Playback' only made things worse. I didn't try 'Built in Output'.

Edit:

Changing to 'Medium' buffer range changed results to:

96KHz: 41 Tracks
44.1KHz: 111 Tracks
Goes to show us that these 5,1 Macs are still in the game. Maybe not the championship spots of the Imac Pro but in the game none the less
Old 2nd December 2018
TAV
Here for the gear

Tried with Mac Mini 2018 (6core i7)

83 Tracks smooth playback at 128 | 44.1
Old 2nd December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAV View Post
Tried with Mac Mini 2018 (6core i7)

83 Tracks smooth playback at 128 | 44.1
A bit below my 91 score for the i7 mini. Maybe this is due two the 32 GB of memory I installed. Just guessing. How much memory does your Mini have?
Old 2nd December 2018
TAV
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezcharleso View Post
A bit below my 91 score for the i7 mini. Maybe this is due two the 32 GB of memory I installed. Just guessing. How much memory does your Mini have?
I’m on 16GB, do you think this test uses that much RAM? I doubt it. Next time, I’ll check if it maxes.

The fans were running pretty loud and I live in a relatively warm environment, so maybe my environment wasn’t helping much with thermal throtlling.
Old 2nd December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAV View Post
I’m on 16GB, do you think this test uses that much RAM? I doubt it. Next time, I’ll check if it maxes.

The fans were running pretty loud and I live in a relatively warm environment, so maybe my environment wasn’t helping much with thermal throtlling.
I’m not sure about the 16gb, it could be that the shared memory of the integrated gpu puts some more strain on it.
Old 8th December 2018
Lives for gear

Macbook Pro 2018 6 cores @ 2.6 result

Just did this test on my brand new (refurb) 6 core @2.6, 16GB Ram MBP 2018.
Buffer @ 128 (large on internal core audio) I was able to get 79 tracks really stable. The 80th track gave me me CPU overload every time.

Just did a Geekbench 4 too: Single CPU: 5333 Multi: 23005

I am really happy with these results and benchmarks so far.
Temp has risen up to 98 degrees during the Logic Benchmark at some point and fans were working hard but I did let it go for 10-15 minutes and no problem encountered.
Hope this helps.
Old 9th December 2018
Here for the gear

just did the test with my Mac Pro (early 2009) 5,1 flashed / 2 x 3,46 Ghz 6 - Core Intel Xeon/ 48 GB Ram (done by tronicspot here in germany)

Buffer @ 128
44.1: 109 tracks (really stable forever)
96: 39 tracks (really stable forever;-)))

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search