The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Similar VI to Retro Synth DAW Software
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Head

Similar VI to Retro Synth

My favorite soft synth from Logic X is Retro Synth, but I haven’t found a similar VI that I could use when I’m working in Pro Tools. Anyone have recommendations?
Old 14th July 2018
Im a Logic user, but haven't played with Retro Synth yet.. You'll need 3 VI's to do what it does hah. Its like their Compressor and Vintage EQ plugin. Its one plugin but it models many different things. To get the 'Analog' model, you need any regular old virtual analog synth. Whether its a Prophet V, a MiniMoog, one of the Rolands, one of U-He's, etc.. Just depends on the flavor you want. I have the Arturia collection so Im good to go there. Sync, well pretty much any 2 VCO synth has sync on it, so just use whatever virtual analog you got and turn on oscillator sync. Table, Im gonna guess by the GUI is supposed to be the good old Waldorf PPGWave. Easy, Waldorf PPGWave2V or 3V plugin, or if you wanna get where they've come to with wavetable synthesis today, grab their Largo or Nave plugins and prepared to be blown away. Both should had the PPG tables in them as well, not sure what Retro Synth is using. For FM, well you need some sort of DX-7 plugin. Dexed is free I think, or theres Native Instruments FM8 which is also awesome!

Off the top of my head I cant think of any plugins that cover that 'all in one' thing like Logic's plugins do, but thats what makes Logic's plugins so great too. To get all the models they have in their new compressor plugin, I needed like 4 different Waves plugins, plus Focusrite's Red compressor hah. Same with their vintage EQ. I have to have the Waves API, Neve, SSL, etc EQs, when theirs models them in one plugin. Granted they all are different, but Logic's is pretty great considering it comes with the DAW and you're ready to go out of the box. I know Absynth covers multiple synthesis methods, I use it every day, but no wavetables and its a bit 'out there' as far as it goes, so you really want that for making weird space noises haha.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search