The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How can you tell file format of imported file?
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

How can you tell file format of imported file?

Hi: I'm looking for a way to find out the file format of imported files. I was sent some stems by a musician via online file transfers; however, due to a misunderstanding, some were WAV and some were m4a. In several cases, they were sent as duplicates in both formats and unfortunately, I did not catch this at the time. I need to find out, by going into the Logic X project, which files are which format so they can resend the required files as WAV. Thanks in advance for your time!
Old 3 days ago
Hit F or click the little icon with the camera and film roll graphic all the way in the upper right. That will open the browser, just select the project tab and it'll show you all of the raw audio files that are in the project. Logic used to convert an mp3/m4a into whatever format you have it set for before, does it not still do it? Those COULD be Apple Lossless audio files though, basically Apple's version of a FLAC instead of a WAV. Those have the m4a format too and you would think Apple would add their own proprietary lossless codec to the list of files their own proprietary DAW can import and convert.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

There is a free app called "Media-Info". "Wave Agent" is good too.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac
Open the "Browsers" panel. Click on "Project" tab. Look at the file(s). Should have Name, bitrate, bit depth, mono/stereo indicator, size.
Click on a file. In the "Audio File" menu click on "Show file(s) in Finder". When the Finder window opens do a get info on the file.

No need for 3rd party software to show file information.
Old 1 day ago
Yeah 3rd party software is totally useless, when you can just open the projects folder and look in the Audio Files directory right at the file extensions if need be heh. Id say its more important to find out if those m4as are actually lossy files, or if the guy sent him Apple lossless m4as instead, then he's all good to go as is.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search