The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MIDI timing off when recording enabled
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

MIDI timing off when recording enabled

Hi all, this is definitely a cry for help!

My MIDI timing for external synths is on spot. Until I wanna record the synth into Logic. Quite unhandy...

Example goes as follows:

MIDI Track 1 (not "External Instrument" Instrument Track)
plays MIDI on Unitor8 Out 1 to synth X. Perfect timing.
Audio Track 1, Apogee Input 3 from console direkt out for recording the synth.
Still perfekt timing.

NOW:
Set Audio Track 1 into record mode: timing is gone!
I'm not even recording, just enabled record in the channelstrip.

Some more infos:
I recognized that as soon as the little r is red, I've got something playing on Unitor out 4 or 5 or both. But there's nothing else playing from the arrange, nor is anything connected to the Unitor inputs.

I found a workaround: when the MIDI track that's playing is selected, the timing is fine. As soon as i select ANY other channel, buy buy timing.

Any hint is highly appreciated!
Old 15 hours ago
Lives for gear
Are you running any softsynth tracks? (any plugs on the softsynths)?
Have you got plugins on your audio tracks for recording the external synths? Bypass them.
Do you have any plugins on the stereo output? (usual culrpit) - bypass the plugs and see if there's any difference?
Old 13 hours ago
Are you using software monitoring instead of letting the Apogee do it?? Software monitoring is going to be latent and will make things sound off and out of whack depending on your buffer settings and sample rate. Not sure about the activity on channels 4 and 5 though. Are you maybe sending MIDI clock to those ports from Logic?? When you use it to send MIDI clock, you'll get constant activity on every channel thats getting it, whether its playing a synth or not.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search